Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-21-06, 06:00 AM   #1
Hask12

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hamstring

I've been riding since june. Nothing real hard. Maybe 15 miles per day about 4 days a week. Didn't have any real problems, some minor outside knee pain which went away with some tweaking of the saddle height. I put the bike on the trainer, mother nature letting us know winter is coming, rode twice, each about 30 minutes and have seemed to have pulled the right hamstring. Is there something different about trainer riding that would cause this to happen? Sadlle height is based on the heel on the peddle method with the pedal at 6 o'clock.
Hask12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 06:07 AM   #2
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hask12
I've been riding since june. Nothing real hard. Maybe 15 miles per day about 4 days a week. Didn't have any real problems, some minor outside knee pain which went away with some tweaking of the saddle height. I put the bike on the trainer, mother nature letting us know winter is coming, rode twice, each about 30 minutes and have seemed to have pulled the right hamstring. Is there something different about trainer riding that would cause this to happen? Sadlle height is based on the heel on the peddle method with the pedal at 6 o'clock.
Started using my trainer a bit yesterday. I have used one the last few "winters" and never had a problem with the hamstring. If the bike is raised to accommodate being mounted in a trainer, perhaps swinging your leg over the higher seat gave additional strain?
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 04:17 PM   #3
fischman

Bikes:
lower the seat

lower the seat-

-cant explain why it happened to you but maybe you are sitting further back in the saddle (same effect on knee as raising the seat)
fischman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 05:08 PM   #4
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
I hurt my leg muscles and/or hamstring and or ligaments in August. Still not completely
well. Dr. (MD) had no advice. I don’t know how I hurt it. Seat was not too high. I was not
riding too many miles. I think I hurt it some other way then bicycling. After trial and error
I have found it wouldn’t get better unless I stayed off the bike. Though easy riding may be OK. But where I live its all hills.

I had ridden 2864 miles before I hurt it. Aug 05 to Aug 06
The 6 days before I hurt it I had ridden 22 miles because of the heat of the summer.

It first started hurting when I woke up in the morning.
Old 10-21-06, 09:00 PM   #5
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
I suspect that I spend more time on trainers than most. My experience is to work at 90 RPM. Low cadence can cause all kinds of problems.
BTW, I just did 50 miles in three hours at 16.6 MPH at 90 rpm.
My advise to you is to watch cadence.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 01:01 PM   #6
Hask12

Bikes:
Your experience sounds very similar, but I sure hope I'm not going to be off the bike for months. It's been a little over a week now though and I'm beginning to get impatient. My pain has definitely decreased, it is now just a dull ache, seems most noticible when I'm sitting for a while. I do hope it's gets better soon.
Hask12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 01:05 PM   #7
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
Cyclists who don't do any cross-training (like hiking or running) can have very weak hamstrings.

You might want to incorporate hiking, running, or lower-body gym workouts to help avoid muscle imbalance...after you rehab your current injury, of course.
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote