Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Hamstring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamstring

I've been riding since june. Nothing real hard. Maybe 15 miles per day about 4 days a week. Didn't have any real problems, some minor outside knee pain which went away with some tweaking of the saddle height. I put the bike on the trainer, mother nature letting us know winter is coming, rode twice, each about 30 minutes and have seemed to have pulled the right hamstring. Is there something different about trainer riding that would cause this to happen? Sadlle height is based on the heel on the peddle method with the pedal at 6 o'clock.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hask12
    I've been riding since june. Nothing real hard. Maybe 15 miles per day about 4 days a week. Didn't have any real problems, some minor outside knee pain which went away with some tweaking of the saddle height. I put the bike on the trainer, mother nature letting us know winter is coming, rode twice, each about 30 minutes and have seemed to have pulled the right hamstring. Is there something different about trainer riding that would cause this to happen? Sadlle height is based on the heel on the peddle method with the pedal at 6 o'clock.
    Started using my trainer a bit yesterday. I have used one the last few "winters" and never had a problem with the hamstring. If the bike is raised to accommodate being mounted in a trainer, perhaps swinging your leg over the higher seat gave additional strain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lower the seat

lower the seat-

-cant explain why it happened to you but maybe you are sitting further back in the saddle (same effect on knee as raising the seat)

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hurt my leg muscles and/or hamstring and or ligaments in August. Still not completely
    well. Dr. (MD) had no advice. I don’t know how I hurt it. Seat was not too high. I was not
    riding too many miles. I think I hurt it some other way then bicycling. After trial and error
    I have found it wouldn’t get better unless I stayed off the bike. Though easy riding may be OK. But where I live its all hills.

I had ridden 2864 miles before I hurt it. Aug 05 to Aug 06
    The 6 days before I hurt it I had ridden 22 miles because of the heat of the summer.

It first started hurting when I woke up in the morning.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that I spend more time on trainers than most. My experience is to work at 90 RPM. Low cadence can cause all kinds of problems.
    BTW, I just did 50 miles in three hours at 16.6 MPH at 90 rpm.
    My advise to you is to watch cadence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your experience sounds very similar, but I sure hope I'm not going to be off the bike for months. It's been a little over a week now though and I'm beginning to get impatient. My pain has definitely decreased, it is now just a dull ache, seems most noticible when I'm sitting for a while. I do hope it's gets better soon.

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyclists who don't do any cross-training (like hiking or running) can have very weak hamstrings.

You might want to incorporate hiking, running, or lower-body gym workouts to help avoid muscle imbalance...after you rehab your current injury, of course.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software