Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-06, 07:06 AM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"The Compleat (almost) 50+ Trainer!

"The Compleat (almost) 50+ Trainer!"

You will observe:

1. Newly set up permanently installed, never-to-be-ridden-outside training bike.
2. One remote controlled TV hooked up to cable, a DVD player and a VCR for total possible enjoyment and appropriate easily reachable remote controls.
3. One easily reachable remote controlled TV (on the side) hooked up to a vcr to play Spinerval tapes.
4. One variable resistance with easily reachable remote control mag trainer.
5. One water bottle on the wall.
6. One small easily controlled radio for listening to my favorite talk radio show.
7. One cyclo computer hooked up to rear wheel and pedals measuring cadence, speed and distance.
8. One sweat band.
9. One electric floor heater to take the chill off of those cold basement mornings.
10. One heart rate monitor strap and head. The head will be installed with velcro on the stem.
11. One large box fan to blow air as the human begins to heat up.

And a whole bunch of other stuff including a complete PA system I use in our musical presentations, misc weight lifting equipment, a refrigerator and microwave for "snacks" and one gel shaving lotion can.


Still missing - One older laptop computer to be mounted in such a way as to be usable while training,
and - one human sitting on the bike, actually training (the most difficult ingredient to acquire, rarely seen near the trainer, but getting a bit better.)








Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-21-06 at 08:49 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 07:57 AM   #2
bcoppola
King of the molehills
 
bcoppola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Detroit 'burbs, east side.
Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Remember: You can also use the fan to simulate a headwind.

While well equipped, it's a design disaster. Is there a "Queer Eye for the 50+ Guy"?

I just ordered one of those trainer-specific Conti tires from Nashbar. So I have something you don't have. Nyah, nyah.

Above is all in fun. Sweat happily!
bcoppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 08:09 AM   #3
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoppola
While well equipped, it's a design disaster. Is there a "Queer Eye for the 50+ Guy"?
Beauty is solely in the eye of the beholder!
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 08:13 AM   #4
dauphin
Senior Member
 
dauphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
messes with my feng shui......
dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 08:22 AM   #5
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My fanged shoe does just fine, and besides I did a full 45 minute Spinerval tape this am.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 08:26 AM   #6
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a reminder.

I moderate a friendly "Indoor Support Training Listserv" at

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...rainerSupport/

We have 173 members.

Lots of reference files, comparisons of training tapes. Check the files section.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 08:54 AM   #7
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.
 
Digital Gee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Reno, Nevada
Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Posts: 8,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And you need two TVs because.... ?
__________________
2015 Sirrus Elite
2012 Masi Evoluzione

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 08:58 AM   #8
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
And you need two TVs because.... ?
Talk about dumb questions!

One for the Spinerval Tapes
One for the TV/VCR/DVD.

And, yes, I watch them both at the same time, and I have been know to listen to talk radio at the same time also.

I know the Spinervals pretty well, and only use them as a reminder.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 09:35 AM   #9
CrossChain
Senior Member
 
CrossChain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You forgot the harem girls! No problem, Coach Troy will make a shambles of all your carefully wrought luxury!!
CrossChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 10:05 AM   #10
jibi
Left OZ now in Malaysia
 
jibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh poor bike

Not wearing a Thong to catch the sweat

Like this one, but there are many types

http://www.bikeworld.com/components/...d=1057&cat=145

you can make one from towelling and velcro too.

enjoy

george
jibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 10:06 AM   #11
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Oh poor bike

Not wearing a Thong to catch the sweat

Like this one, but there are many types

http://www.bikeworld.com/components/...d=1057&cat=145

you can make one from towelling and velcro too.

enjoy

george
Naw - you got it wrong.

I'm the one who wears the thong!

Hey, by the time this beater bike rusts away, I will be pining for an excuse to get a newer one - or I will be dead!
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 10:48 AM   #12
dauphin
Senior Member
 
dauphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
weird...thing. The other day when you first posted a pic of that bike, I had never seen a Diamondback Ascent before. That very day I was walking through a parking lot and saw one on the back of a car.
dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 11:13 AM   #13
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.
 
Digital Gee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Reno, Nevada
Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Posts: 8,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Oh poor bike

Not wearing a Thong to catch the sweat

Like this one, but there are many types

http://www.bikeworld.com/components/...d=1057&cat=145

you can make one from towelling and velcro too.

enjoy

george
Who thinks UP these things???
__________________
2015 Sirrus Elite
2012 Masi Evoluzione

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 12:09 PM   #14
dauphin
Senior Member
 
dauphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Who thinks UP these things???
people who make lots of money?
dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 07:36 AM   #15
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SUCCESS - THE COMPUTER IS HOOKED UP AND IT WORKS GREAT, ALTHOUGH, AS AN OLD LAPTOP, IT IS DIALUP. BUT GREAT FOR BFN WHILE TRAINING!


Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-22-06 at 08:27 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 07:37 AM   #16
lpress
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Raleigh Competition (old)
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you got an mp3 player for listening to podcasts? I'm hooked on podcasts during any sort of workout.

Larry
lpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 07:43 AM   #17
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpress
Have you got an mp3 player for listening to podcasts? I'm hooked on podcasts during any sort of workout.

Larry
I could if I was into MP3, but I am not. I have an almost totally unused IPOD.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 10:30 AM   #18
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.
 
Digital Gee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Reno, Nevada
Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Posts: 8,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is that two bike computers on the handlebars or is one a HRM?
__________________
2015 Sirrus Elite
2012 Masi Evoluzione

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 11:06 AM   #19
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Left - HRM - center - variable tension control for the trainer - right - computer
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-06, 11:28 AM   #20
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer
 
Bud Bent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Crowley, Tx
Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Talk about dumb questions!

One for the Spinerval Tapes
One for the TV/VCR/DVD.

And, yes, I watch them both at the same time, and I have been know to listen to talk radio at the same time also.

I know the Spinervals pretty well, and only use them as a reminder.
Remind me to never ask Dnvr if he can walk and chew gum at the same time.

All this makes me glad I live in Texas and can ride all year.....
Bud Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 03:45 PM   #21
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,421
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
"The Compleat (almost) 50+ Trainer!"

You will observe:

1. Newly set up permanently installed, never-to-be-ridden-outside training bike.
2. One remote controlled TV hooked up to cable, a DVD player and a VCR for total possible enjoyment and appropriate easily reachable remote controls.
3. One easily reachable remote controlled TV (on the side) hooked up to a vcr to play Spinerval tapes.
4. One variable resistance with easily reachable remote control mag trainer.
5. One water bottle on the wall.
6. One small easily controlled radio for listening to my favorite talk radio show.
7. One cyclo computer hooked up to rear wheel and pedals measuring cadence, speed and distance.
8. One sweat band.
9. One electric floor heater to take the chill off of those cold basement mornings.
10. One heart rate monitor strap and head. The head will be installed with velcro on the stem.
11. One large box fan to blow air as the human begins to heat up.

And a whole bunch of other stuff including a complete PA system I use in our musical presentations, misc weight lifting equipment, a refrigerator and microwave for "snacks" and one gel shaving lotion can.


Still missing - One older laptop computer to be mounted in such a way as to be usable while training,
and - one human sitting on the bike, actually training (the most difficult ingredient to acquire, rarely seen near the trainer, but getting a bit better.)







I notice the big, white, special edition 50+'ers beer and pie cooler handily located near the training stand!
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 06:39 PM   #22
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I notice the big, white, special edition 50+'ers beer and pie cooler handily located near the training stand!
I don't drink beer, and we don't keep any pie around the house. Sorry!
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-06, 06:47 PM   #23
Red Baron
Senior Member
 
Red Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: On a Road in Central Bluegrass KY
Bikes: Not enough
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome!!!!!

I am not worthy!
__________________
**Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**
Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 08:04 AM   #24
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
45 minutes on the trainer this am - how about the rest of you?
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 09:05 AM   #25
will dehne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: rockford, il
Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I studied above pictures and post's. I must be using a different mind-set. Here is what I do:
I decide up front on duration and average speed for the exercise session. I never deviate from that decision for that session.
I use the HRM and cadence monitor to vary stress during the session.
Hydrate every 15 minutes.
The object is to do the best average speed at the lowest peak HR.
I do not find this boring and the time goes by fast.
will dehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:47 AM.