Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brown Reclouse Spider bites

It looks like a BRS tried to eat me. I have 3 bites. One pretty good size ( red area of about 2" diameter) then 1" diameter and one 1/2" diameter. I guess that it was running out of venum and finally just gave up. I have been looking around the web and I saw it suggested that I should not exercise because it could cause the venum to spread. I am taking antibiotics and these things are not looking as well as I would like especially the big bite.

I am wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with these bites and can give me some tips. I have not riden in about 6 days. The bites feel better when I am walking (Oh I forgot to say that the bites are on my left knee, left shin and right shin about 3" below my right knee). I may stay off the bike for another week but I know that while I am riding that everything will feel ok. I just don't know what will happen after the ride.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're 110% certain that a BRS bit you are you under a doctors care??

If not get to one ASAP!!

As I understand it the tissue in the area of the bite will die and could turn into
    gangrene.

P.S. antibiiotcs will not do anything to clear up a spyder bite, mate. It's venom
    ye be dealing with.......not germs, mate.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Fo...use/intro.html
    Last edited by Nightshade; 10-21-06 at 08:35 AM.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tightwad
    If you're 110% certain that a BRS bit you are you under a doctors care??

If not get to one ASAP!!

As I understand it the tissue in the area of the bite will die and could turn into
    gangrene.

P.S. antibiiotcs will not do anything to clear up a spyder bite, mate. It's venom
    ye be dealing with.......not germs, mate.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Fo...use/intro.html
    Agreed, get thee hence to a Dr if you even SUSPECT a brown recluse bite!
    http://dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/r...sis=1325362622

Above link is a site for more info!

on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get to a doctor if you haven't. My son's school principal lost thumb sized (and deep) chunk of flesh from the small of his back after a brs bite.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of all the spiders to get nailed by in the US, the brown recluse is by far the worst. Its bite is necrotic. That means the flesh around the bite tends to rot leaving a nasty crater. Just thinking about this can make one quesy. I would seek medical attention immediately. This thing is not something to fool around with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for you concern. I have been to the doctor and that is where I got the antibiotics. The research that I have done on the BRS bites indicates that there is no anti-venom and from what I can tell the bite will kill the flesh and then will heal only after the flesh is either absorbed by the body or is flushed away by fluids. The bites now have about a 2 mm diameter of dead flesh in the center. One article that I read indicated that the venom never leaves the body. I did not like hearing that.

I think that the antibiotics are just to prevent bacterial infections as the bites wounds heal. I still want to know if I can ride or if I need to wait maybe another week.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask your Doctor.... if he doesn't know find another Doctor.
    Carpe who?

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious: where does the OP live?
    Out here in the Pacific NW, we have the Hobo Spider, but people think they are Brown Recluse. The bite is very much the same. The nasty things are active this time of year as the males tend to come out at night and wander around the house. Also contrary to popular belief, teh Black Widow is thought to live only east of the Cascade Mountains in arid Washington and Oregon. Not so, they are commonly found over here on ther damp western side as well.

Doing any Fall weeding or outdoor clean-up around the place? Watch it! Black Widows will have you lapsing into aching pain for months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm
    Just curious: where does the OP live?
    Out here in the Pacific NW, we have the Hobo Spider, but people think they are Brown Recluse. The bite is very much the same. The nasty things are active this time of year as the males tend to come out at night and wander around the house. Also contrary to popular belief, teh Black Widow is thought to live only east of the Cascade Mountains in arid Washington and Oregon. Not so, they are commonly found over here on ther damp western side as well.

Doing any Fall weeding or outdoor clean-up around the place? Watch it! Black Widows will have you lapsing into aching pain for months.

BlackWidows? I find them in my Central California garage all the time. Unstacking cordwood is best done here with alertness. Fortunately, their appearance is so distinctive that you can't miss identifying them.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in central Alabama. I have heard of a yellow spider which lives in Florida which is similar to the BR. We have black widows here but from what I have heard their bite is very painful and you know when you have been bitten. This is not the case with the BR. It can take several hours before you know that you have been bitten by a BR.

My next post will probably be asking what can I do about insecticide poisoning. I have been spraying hoping that I will get the spider back for its deed. I hate to wipe out the good bugs but I don't feel like trying to find the one and only that got me. Who knows there are probably more where the one came from. I am not afraid of most spiders but the bad ones have now put all the good ones on the hit list also. I wont do much spraying outside the house but the inside of the house is going to be a weapon of mass destruction to bugs if I have my way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to make light of what is undoubtedly an anxious time and a potentially serious problem, but sort of like Captain Ahab and a midget Moby Dick....not a harpoon but a pump sprayer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been bitten too. Aggressive steroid treatment helped me a lot.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee whizz, there is redeeming value to this area. The cold winter kills most bugs. We do not have such nasty stuff that I know off. Maybe global warming will bring it here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things are looking up today. The bites look like giant zits. A little gentle pressure got a bunch of crap out of two of the larger bites and the redness on all the bites is getting smaller. The bites are no longer painful and just an aggervation now. If everything continues to improve, things will probably be back to normal in a couple of weeks. I found another sore spot and it appears that he got me a total of 4 times. I probably will remember this experience for a long time.

I feel blessed because I have seen pictures of many bites which turned out to be much worse than mine.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    Gee whizz, there is redeeming value to this area. The cold winter kills most bugs. We do not have such nasty stuff that I know off. Maybe global warming will bring it here?
    Global warming has nothing to do with it. And, according to range maps, you live on the northern edge of the Brown Recluse area. Take heart, the Hobo is coming your way...

sch
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work in EDs periodically (in Alabama) and have to report that 98% conservatively, of what we see as
    "spider bites" are really skin infections/abscesses. MRSA, community acquired, is epidemic in Alabama and indeed the entire US and is the usual culprit these days. If you smashed the spider as it bit you, maybe it was a spider bite, but more likely it is the other. The antibiotics used have radically changed over the past two yrs. Google on MRSA-CA for some further info. If there was no ulceration or even small areas of skin necrosis, spider bite is even less likely.

Brusheda
    I was in a drug store parking lot when I heard a guy telling his buddy about his ordeal with a brown recluse. When he first saw a doctor it was some old dude who gave him antibiotics. They didn't seem to be working so a few days later he went to another doctor who told him that antibiotics is the old way of treating it and that if he had come in one day later he would have ended up losing his leg. I don't know what the new doctor gave him but he recovered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes me glad I live in New Jersey, when something comes after me, I can usually see it comming.

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    Well, it is not a redeeming value in northern New Mexico. They come inside for the warmth.

And trust me, black widows are very well not limited to the Cascades
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermal
    Well, it is not a redeeming value in northern New Mexico. They come inside for the warmth.

And trust me, black widows are very well not limited to the Cascades
    Yes, I agree. A re-read of my post may have led others to conclude that I thought Widows were only indiginous to my area. They're just about everywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are good. My doctor thought that it might be MRSA also. I had MRSA last year and it put me in the hospital for 6 days and it took me 2 months just to get most of my strength back. My feelings at first was that one spot was a spider bite and one spot might be MRSA because one spot was at a point where I had another insect bite that I thought might have gotten infected. I got some regular sulphur antibiotics and some other antibiotic washes and such which are to clean up MRSA if it is hiding some where like in my nose.

Each spot that came up had a small piece of dead flesh in the center. Very similiar to what happens when a fire ant stings but these spots were much larger. This makes me believe that it was a spider. From what I have heard it is almost impossible to be certain that it was a BRS because I did not capture the spider.

The spots are still sore to the touch but are healing up rather well. I am expecting to be back to almost normal within the next week. It will be nice to be able to wear long pants again.

I have started riding for short distance like 6 miles and this exercise does not seem to be bad for the bites. I will be keeping a watch on things and getting back to my fun.

Thanks everyone for your information.

sch
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By chance were the drainages from the various lesions cultured? If they were MRSA-CA skin infections
    the down side is that they tend to recur and can be spread to family/friends by contact. I drain or pack 2-4 of these every shift I work and we are now required to gown up in addition to gloving when we work on these. Staph can hang out in the nose where it lives non invasively and can be hard to get rid off and which serves as a reservoir for moving the staph to different parts of the body where new abscesses develop. If new lesions pop up periodically one recommendation is soaking in a tub where ~ a tspn to a tblspn of bleach per gallon is added to the water, at least several times/wk for 2-4wks (no one has calibrated this) and lubing up the reachable nares with bactroban or +/- polysporin or bacitracin ointments twice daily for a week or so. Bunch of reports of MRSA spread over football teams, between wrestlers and between caretakers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for another great post of useful information. It is great to know that there are some over the counter meds and supplies which can be used to fight MRSA. As you know MRSA is very nasty and often kills so any way to fight this with house whole products is great.

sch
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, your concern over the death rate is a bit overdrawn there, and standard therapies still seem to work well for most. The elderly, the immunologically impaired and those few with POS bodies and bad luck are the ones likely to have an unfortunate event, the rest of use get better.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of those threads that makes me GLAD I live in a cold climate! Gads, those things are nasty!

Steve