Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling, Glasses, and Sunshine

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 12:48 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay here's the deal. I have a nasty eye infection, I have to wear glasses instead of contacts, and for the next several days at least, I'm putting eye drops into the infected eye once an hour.

Once this heals, I'll probably go back to the contacts but I won't be wearing them overnight again, according to the Doc. (And btw, he does lasik but suggested we hold off a bit talking about that -- not like i have the $$$, but whatever).

So I have to wear glasses. And right now, when I'm outside, I also wear an eyepatch under the glasses because the light hurts so bad I can't hardly stand it. But sooner or later, the patch will be unnecessary. My question is: what about sunglass protection? I don't really want to spend more $$$ getting prescription sunglasses since I hope this is temporary, but I also don't want to wear those Granny sunglasses that go over everything and make me look like I should be driving a Buick.

Ew, does this mean clip-ons? Ewwww!

As you can see, I'm thinking out loud but I'm having trouble climbing outside the box. Any other ideas for temporary solutions to this? I'm missing some of the most beautiful cycling weather of the YEAR!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-20-06, 12:55 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are "fitovers" that don't look groteque and don't cost much. I had a pair of polarized Foster Grant drugstore fitovers for several years I used for flyfishing and biking.

My current prescription glasses came with these nifty matching dedicated polarized clip-ons that attach by means of small, powerful magnets. Very cool.
Old 10-20-06, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Greetings Gary,
As in my previous post.The leather slit-goggles,used to prevent snow blindness.
You know,the ones Commander Bird wore when he discovered the North Pole or South Pole,...or some pole.By the way,those " cateract sunglasses",or "Jackie O "glasses are the current rage with young women now.You could be a cylcling fashion vangard!
On a serious note,use an non-expensive ultrasonic cleaner to clean those contacts at night.Those 24hr. contacts seem to be a breeding ground for eye-ulcers.
Old 10-20-06, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Here's a link to some of the clunky looking fit-over glasses, maybe you'll see something you can live with
for a few weeks. At least they're cheap.
I've purchased from this company before (for actual industrial safety glasses) and they were ok.

https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/fiovrxgl.html
Old 10-20-06, 04:31 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Yep Gary, its clip ons for you. I am already laughing at your new-found nerdiness
Old 10-20-06, 05:26 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gary, Gary, Gary......... you are past the time to worry about style. Stop sucking in your gut when a pretty girl walks by, you aren't fooling anyone. Break out the white belt, put on some white socks and your nicest pair of sandals and your clip-on sunglasses and go for a ride.
Old 10-20-06, 05:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aren't you worried about the eye patch screwing up your depth perception, periferal vision, etc? Just a thought...
Old 10-20-06, 08:03 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milt
Aren't you worried about the eye patch screwing up your depth perception, periferal vision, etc? Just a thought...
Yeah, but I don't think I'll need the patch for more than a couple of days. I'll hold off riding until then.

Old 10-20-06, 08:04 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grampy™
Gary, Gary, Gary......... you are past the time to worry about style. Stop sucking in your gut when a pretty girl walks by, you aren't fooling anyone. Break out the white belt, put on some white socks and your nicest pair of sandals and your clip-on sunglasses and go for a ride.

You mean I can break out my powder blue leisure suit? Or my cream colored Nehru jacket and the "gold" medallion?

Old 10-20-06, 08:04 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Yep Gary, its clip ons for you. I am already laughing at your new-found nerdiness

Appreciate the support, how...

Old 10-21-06, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clip-ons are cool bro. Because they work. And they are .... uhhhhhh..... cheap!
Old 10-22-06, 06:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno - and can't see why you have such a hang up over clip-on shades. I was out riding on a particularly bright day . . . stopped at a run down convenience store and picked up a "pair" of clip-on polarized shades for $1.00 (clerk reduced the price because they were dusty). They may have looked dorky, but they worked fine.

Went to one of our franchise vendors (Lens Crafters) a couple of weeks later and purchased a proper set of clip ons for $25.00. They fit my glasses better, but are less capable of light attenuation. They are also polarized and look good enough that most casual observers would not notice that I am wearing them.

I say, for goodness sakes (and for the sake of your vision), use whatever you need to be able to get back on that bike and pound out some miles.

It appears that you and your doctor have your underlying problems under control, so, I say, heartily, that you should go for it!

Do what you need in the short term and forgo style to achieve function.

Good luck!

Caruso
Old 10-22-06, 07:49 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Just put some of those fantastic San Diego margaritas in your water bottle and you will quickly stop caring about looks.....
Old 10-22-06, 11:52 AM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
You mean I can break out my powder blue leisure suit? Or my cream colored Nehru jacket and the "gold" medallion?
Hey, I had one of those when I was 15. My dad had a matching jacket...man they were hideous, now that I look back.

Before I got my prescription sunglasses, I bought a really nifty set of sunglasses from Bike Nashbar. They had three different lense colors in them, dark green, yellow and clear. The lenses were a snap (literally) to change, so I wore the greens during the day, and the yellows when I rode at night.

I suppose you should go with whatever will protect and reduce the strain on your eye, and be damed the vanity. I hope your infection goes away soon.
Old 10-22-06, 01:00 PM
Ain't Easy Being Cheesy

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Comp :)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Okay here's the deal. I have a nasty eye infection, I have to wear glasses instead of contacts, and for the next several days at least, I'm putting eye drops into the infected eye once an hour.

Once this heals, I'll probably go back to the contacts but I won't be wearing them overnight again, according to the Doc. (And btw, he does lasik but suggested we hold off a bit talking about that -- not like i have the $$$, but whatever).

So I have to wear glasses. And right now, when I'm outside, I also wear an eyepatch under the glasses because the light hurts so bad I can't hardly stand it. But sooner or later, the patch will be unnecessary. My question is: what about sunglass protection? I don't really want to spend more $$$ getting prescription sunglasses since I hope this is temporary, but I also don't want to wear those Granny sunglasses that go over everything and make me look like I should be driving a Buick.

Ew, does this mean clip-ons? Ewwww!

As you can see, I'm thinking out loud but I'm having trouble climbing outside the box. Any other ideas for temporary solutions to this? I'm missing some of the most beautiful cycling weather of the YEAR!

Sun glasses???? What is Sun????

2006 Specialized Ruby Comp
www.bikenaked.net