Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Suggestions

I have a Giant TCR Comp 0 which I really like. I have been doing a lot of mountain riding lately and thinking of getting a new bike with a triple to help me get up those steep roads. I like the cf frame so I would aprreciate any suggestions on a new bike.

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like the Giant, why not try a compact crankset, like a 50/34?

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I was offered a Giant CF for $1850 and choose a Trek Madone 5.2 for $ 2200 (plus tax).
    I am very happy with the Trek. The reason for choosing against Giant was a negative experience on a recent XC tour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2cruz
    If you like the Giant, why not try a compact crankset, like a 50/34?
    +1 on compact cranks. Use the search to get alot of posts on the subject.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not in the greatest shape, like me, you won't want a compact crank. I need lower gears. Best combo I've found is something like this: 26.39.52 with 12:27 cassette. You'll need mtb long cage but you'll have a good range of gear inches. Shimano was supposed to come out with a 10 speed mtb cassette this year, i.e. 2007, but I have not seen the specs on their site yet.

Is there some reason you're not just changing the gearing on the tcr?
    Hi 'o Silver away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A compact crank is definitely an option. I have heard that there are dead spans in the compact gearing and that you can get a lower gear with the triple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Triples will give you a lower gear. Compacts appeal to riders for their somewhat lighter weight and abbreviated front shifting. Compacts have less visual clutter with their often shorter rd cage and only two chainrings and probably less chance of dreaded chain suck, and often smaller "Q-factor" (the distance the crank and spindle spread your feet apart). Jppe, who rides lotsa hills and many fast miles, swears by his compact-- although his is somewhat unique with wide range rear derailleur and cassette.

Triples are only clunky to some. The value of very low gears for steep hills and 50Plus legs is obvious. Many people can spend almost their entire ride in the middle ring and be content.

Personally, I prefer my triple although I do like a low "Q". My Sugino crank with its 110 bolt circle allows me a greater range of chainrings for dialing in my shifting than the standard Shimano 130 bolt circle. I can get nicely spaced, close gear jumps with such dialing. Ergo shifters with their controlled "microshifts" work against chainsuck and make front shifting a no-brainer. I seldom use the granny inner ring, but on occasion..........

So, it comes down to your gearing needs, your sense of bike aesthetic, and your preferences in shifting "feel" and function. Put in a few miles with either and, unless your compact runs out of low gear, you'll be happy and well served.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that I am leaning to getting a new bike with a triple. Can you give me some recommendations for a CF or TI bike.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute!!! you've been Mountain biking with a TCR Comp?
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Trek Pilot 5.2 with a 52-39-30 triple up front and a 12-27 on the back. I can climb just about anything with this. I am also considering getting a second bike. I am looking at a Trek Madone 5.2 SL with the exact same drive train. Both of these have full carbon frames, and are super comfortable. The Pilot can take full fenders, so it is really great in the rain.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized Roubaix comes in a model or two with a triple and it's a full CF. I've had the Roubaix Comp, the Pro & the S-Works framsets and liked them all.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy™
    Wait a minute!!! you've been Mountain biking with a TCR Comp?
    I read it as that initially but it was Mountain RIDING. Slight difference but just as tiring. Triple is the way to go for me, and I have 52/42/30 with a 12/26 8 spd cassette. Even on our hills- quite steep at 15% in parts but not very long, I find that I am in the lowest gear. If I take the mountain bike on the roads, with its far lower gearing, I rarely get out of the middle 32t middle ring and if I do drop down to the granny- all is does is slow me down completetly. Steep hill and it hurts a bit so drop into the granny and I like it but 22/32 is a lot slower than 32/32.

On the CF frames- or bikes- Will and a lot of others have found the Madone a very suitable choice so get a test ride on that one at least. I am not a Trekkie but in the Giants there are several frames that are CF so get to the store and ride. (Test rides of course.)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've only mentioned CF and gear ratios. There must be something else that you don't like about the Giant, or else you would just change the gear setup, right?

I'd suggest that you spend a few minutes over on Sheldon Brown's site with the gear calculator, and you can plug in all the different combinations (chain rings and cassettes) and see what the differences are. I wanted to try a compact, and that's what I did. I kept a 12-25 cassette in both cases of a standard double and a compact double. In essence, in going to the compact, I lost a high gear and gained 1+ low gears. It isn't a huge difference, but I did a ride this fall that I barely made it up some hills with the compact that I doubt I would have with the other setup. You'll have to quantify what works for you. On occasion, there will always be those hills that no matter how low your gears are, they aren't low enough.

I bought a Look frame off ebay and built it up, and I really like it. Other CF frames that you might want to explore are Specialized Roubaix and Cannondale Synapse (carbon). These have a tiny bit longer head tube, so they support a bit more upright (than racing) position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Jazzy, I've played with gear calculators and concluded that compacts aren't exactly the "cavalry from the fort" when needing to find seriously lower gears. Jppe went to a compact, but coupled it to a very wide range cassette and mtn rd. Just depends on how low you want to go and, I think I wrote this above a few weeks ago, your shifting style.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. I currently have a Giant TCR Comp 0 road bike with a 39/53 and 12/27. I really like my bike 90% of the time but I struggle on grades at 12% plus. I have considered the compact but I have heard that it will it will have deadspans in the gearing and not provide the granny gear needed by me for the 15% grades. I am looking at a Trek Madone 5.2 Sl as a possible replacement.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by treypar
    Thanks for all the replies. I currently have a Giant TCR Comp 0 road bike with a 39/53 and 12/27. I really like my bike 90% of the time but I struggle on grades at 12% plus. I have considered the compact but I have heard that it will it will have deadspans in the gearing and not provide the granny gear needed by me for the 15% grades. I am looking at a Trek Madone 5.2 Sl as a possible replacement.
    Good Choice.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan