Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone do the Chicago Marathon?

I ran the Chicago Marathon yesterday...freezing cold and windy but still quite an event! I've been doing a lot of cross training and triathlons this year so I really had no idea how I would do. My last marathon was 3 years ago and I was only running and I weighed quite a bit more than now...my finishing time back then was 5:27. Yesterday I ran a 3:54 and finished in the top 25% of the pack! Now I'm thinking...the Boston Marathon qualifying time for a 52 year old is 3:35...I think I have a new spring goal! Frankp

Anyone else run it?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would having run it in 1980 count?

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fopianki
    I ran the Chicago Marathon yesterday...freezing cold and windy but still quite an event! I've been doing a lot of cross training and triathlons this year so I really had no idea how I would do. My last marathon was 3 years ago and I was only running and I weighed quite a bit more than now...my finishing time back then was 5:27. Yesterday I ran a 3:54 and finished in the top 25% of the pack! Now I'm thinking...the Boston Marathon qualifying time for a 52 year old is 3:35...I think I have a new spring goal! Frankp

Anyone else run it?
    I ran Boston as a bandit in 86 and 87 (quite a few "red snakes" back-of-the-packers, actually) back when John Kelley was still alive and running. That guy was amazing. I was a qualifier in 96 (100th running) but a family tragedy intervened at the last minute.

It's a very cool race. A day off for the whole area, so it is lined with people for the whole 26.2 miles. I don't know if they still allow the Wellsley girls to shrink it down to single-file, but that was pretty cool also.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fopianki
    Yesterday I ran a 3:54 . . . Boston Marathon qualifying time for a 52 year old is 3:35...I think I have a new spring goal! Frankp
    Great run! Congratulations!

Query. . . did you leave a "doable" 50 seconds a mile out there on the Chicago course somewhere? Otherwise, there is a looongg way between 3:54 and 3:35. Probably about as far as 3:54 is from 5:27.

BUT! So What? We aren't 50+ BF'ers for nothing are we?

Good luck. Keep truckin'.

Tyson

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in Chicago for a seminar and watched the start of the Chicago Marathon. We stayed at 24 E Congress which was a short walk to the start. I went out the door and into the cold at 6:45 AM to get a good place to watch the wheelchairs start. Participents were still hurrying to get to the start at 8:10 and later.

Does the timing start as soon as the race is started? 40,000 transponders would seem impossible to keep track of.

Congratulations on a great run.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

My Bikes
    LeMond - Gunnar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on a great run. Good luck if you decide to go for Boston.