Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-23-06, 07:46 PM   #1
fopianki

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone do the Chicago Marathon?

I ran the Chicago Marathon yesterday...freezing cold and windy but still quite an event! I've been doing a lot of cross training and triathlons this year so I really had no idea how I would do. My last marathon was 3 years ago and I was only running and I weighed quite a bit more than now...my finishing time back then was 5:27. Yesterday I ran a 3:54 and finished in the top 25% of the pack! Now I'm thinking...the Boston Marathon qualifying time for a 52 year old is 3:35...I think I have a new spring goal! Frankp

Anyone else run it?
fopianki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 04:19 AM   #2
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Would having run it in 1980 count?
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 10:19 AM   #3
dbg 
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopianki
I ran the Chicago Marathon yesterday...freezing cold and windy but still quite an event! I've been doing a lot of cross training and triathlons this year so I really had no idea how I would do. My last marathon was 3 years ago and I was only running and I weighed quite a bit more than now...my finishing time back then was 5:27. Yesterday I ran a 3:54 and finished in the top 25% of the pack! Now I'm thinking...the Boston Marathon qualifying time for a 52 year old is 3:35...I think I have a new spring goal! Frankp

Anyone else run it?
I ran Boston as a bandit in 86 and 87 (quite a few "red snakes" back-of-the-packers, actually) back when John Kelley was still alive and running. That guy was amazing. I was a qualifier in 96 (100th running) but a family tragedy intervened at the last minute.

It's a very cool race. A day off for the whole area, so it is lined with people for the whole 26.2 miles. I don't know if they still allow the Wellsley girls to shrink it down to single-file, but that was pretty cool also.
Old 10-24-06, 07:09 PM   #4
TysonB

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopianki
Yesterday I ran a 3:54 . . . Boston Marathon qualifying time for a 52 year old is 3:35...I think I have a new spring goal! Frankp
Great run! Congratulations!

Query. . . did you leave a "doable" 50 seconds a mile out there on the Chicago course somewhere? Otherwise, there is a looongg way between 3:54 and 3:35. Probably about as far as 3:54 is from 5:27.

BUT! So What? We aren't 50+ BF'ers for nothing are we?

Good luck. Keep truckin'.

Tyson
TysonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 04:50 PM   #5
edp773

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
I was in Chicago for a seminar and watched the start of the Chicago Marathon. We stayed at 24 E Congress which was a short walk to the start. I went out the door and into the cold at 6:45 AM to get a good place to watch the wheelchairs start. Participents were still hurrying to get to the start at 8:10 and later.

Does the timing start as soon as the race is started? 40,000 transponders would seem impossible to keep track of.

Congratulations on a great run.
edp773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 08:06 PM   #6
Richard Cranium

Bikes: LeMond - Gunnar
Congrats on a great run. Good luck if you decide to go for Boston.
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote