Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Birthday ride

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birthday ride

Turned 55 on Sunday (22nd) and of course did the obligatory ride of one's age.
    I don't have a computer on the bike but this loop is right around 55 to 60 miles.
    Went very nicely from the start. Left home, 1/2 mile later I pickup Topanga Canyon road heading south
    to Malibu. I come to realize THEY'VE JUST RE PAVED THE ENTIRE ROAD ALL THE WAY TO PCH!!!
    A perfect October morning here in LA, fresh pavement, clear air and a warm tailwind.
    Half mile from the beach it's foggy and stays that way all the way north to Latigo Canyon.
    Around Malibu pier I meet another rider (old coot like me) and he complements my speed. I let on it's my b-day etc. He asks how old, I say 55, he says "I don't feel so bad then, I'm 65!" He was well into an unsupported century, to Ventura and back. Nice to see.
    So then a very fast climb over the 11 miles of Latigo canyon, trying to stay with a small group of much younger racers on a training ride. Turned out to be a personal best time for that climb so I was somewhat cooked but happy. Now down Mulholland Highway to Malibu Canyon, I head again toward the beach but then detour up Piuma road, about 5 or 6 miles of climbing to the top of Saddle Peak. The view from there is remarkable, the ocean blanketed by brilliantly lit fog, with Catalina Island poking through, 30 miles offshore. Now a blasting descent down Stunt road, another 5 miles of rollers through Cold Canyon, and a final 1/2 mile uphill to the house. When mixed with a few very cold post ride brews it stands a fine birthday present to myself. I hope you all have as good a time on your birthday rides.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that sure sounds rough!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride. I miss riding along the coast.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    2008 Cervelo RS, 2011 Scott CR1 Elite, 2014 Volagi Liscio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats; nice report

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great ride. I know what you mean, I too like to see someone older than me out riding more than just a casual spin to the corner store. Belated Happy Birthday.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turned 56 on Saturday (Octo 21). Drove down to Seattle for the opera, but on the way down we stopped in Marysville and did ride #33 from "Bicycling the Backroads of Puget Sound," a ride called "Lake Cassidy" although you never even see Lake Cassidy and you spend a lot of time cruising around Lake Stevens. The ride only covered about 38 kilometers, but we didn't have a lot of time, as we like to get to the motel around 3 pm and I like to have a short nap.

We're slowly working our way thru Bicycling the Backroads of Puget Sound and BTB of Northwest Washington on the tandem. On the way back home on Sunday, the weather turned warm and we polished off ride #28, Granite Falls - Lake Roesiger, 53 kilometers. A bit closer to my age; maybe I should have taken a 3-km detour.

The other thang I'd like to do is correct all the darned errors in the BTB books... The books seem to be quite popular (they're in their fourth printing), but I don't think they spend much time updating them for errors or new road construction.

- L.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting observation

Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
    The other thang I'd like to do is correct all the darned errors in the BTB books... The books seem to be quite popular (they're in their fourth printing), but I don't think they spend much time updating them for errors or new road construction. - L.
    LB: I've got both those books (even though I live thousands of miles away in Texas, my sister lives in Bellingham) and have looked through them several times. Yes, they seem to be popular according to Amazon. At least the books are published and out there in multiple editions.

As an advocate for reclaiming local & state roads for cycling, I believe this kind of book does wonders for getting more folks to ride, achieving greater visibility for the cycling community, prompting businesses to respond to the cycling crowd and generally keeping the transportation planners honest in their endless quest to expand roads for faster vehicular traffic.

By all means, if you've got suggested corrections for the authors, I have no doubt they would welcome the input. Other 'guides' such as Lonely Planet depend upon travelers' updates for ongoing editions.
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Birthday ride report. When I ride along the beach on the east coast, it's flat, then flat and finally some more flat! Your ride sounds much more interesting.

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like a great ride with gorgeous country. I think this is one you'll remember.
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday and thanks for the report. Just wish my birthday wasn't in the middle of December...
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Happy Birthday and thanks for the report. Just wish my birthday wasn't in the middle of December...
    That is why some of us change the date of our birthday rides. Mines in January and there is no way I fancy a ride in High winds, Rain, Snow or freezing temperatures- Or a combination of any of that lot. Then there is the fact that I ride offroad and the wet and muddy trails will finish me by the time I have done 60 miles on them. So I do my ride sometime in September- Try to do it as a mixture of Off and on road, But still to do it this year. OK- Did a 62 miler on October and extended The London to Brighton to take it up to my age in July, but they were road rides so still haven't ridden my Birthday ride this year. Although- The 65 offroad on the Tandem in May in high winds and mud may have counted. Just choose some-one else's birthday in the Summer or Autumn and do a virtual ride with them on the same day.

Cassave- Great ride but wheres the pics and what Pie? (Just a couple of other obligations to worry about on the Birthday rides)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Cassave- Great ride but wheres the pics and what Pie? (Just a couple of other obligations to worry about on the Birthday rides)
    Well, I really should have taken a camera because it was beautful in the early morning going through Topanga Canyon, sun was just up and lighting up the gold sycamores. But in the interest of keeping it simple (and light, my camera's a little bulky) I left it home.

As for pie? PIZZA man!

Here's a link to a page about riding in the Santa Monica mountains http://www.lafn.org/~steveh/ride_sm.html

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great ride -- happy birthday and congratulations

I've been thinking of taking the bike down to Southern California for a few days of riding. What's the traffic like on that ride through Topanga? And on PCH? Safe riding? Or narrow shoulders with crazy drivers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle

I've been thinking of taking the bike down to Southern California for a few days of riding. What's the traffic like on that ride through Topanga? And on PCH? Safe riding? Or narrow shoulders with crazy drivers?
    Topanga Canyon is easy on the weekend mornings and midday during the week, specially this time of year. In summer it gets heavy beach traffic.
    PCH can be a bit dicey in spots because the traffic is fast and some spots are narrow. North of Malibu pier PCH is nicer to ride, from Santa Monica to Malibu pier it's downright spooky though.

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a wonderful birthday ride. Happy birthday!
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.