Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Compared to 20 years ago, are you?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • More fit

49 59.04%
  • Less fit

19 22.89%
  • About the same

15 18.07%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compared to 20 years ago, I am

In my case, I'm a LOT more fit than I was in my 30's. This year, for instance, I participated in my 5th Bicycle Tour of Colorado (450 miles with about 35,000 feet of climbing and high elevations), and completed the infamous Markleeville Death Ride (125 miles, and 16,000 feet of climbing in one day).

In my 30's, I was an overweight smoker trapped in a crappy marriage. Now, at 53, I weigh what I did in high school and can do 100 miles of hills any day of the week. And since the crappy marriage ended, my sex life has improved 1000%.

Discuss.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fit for what? My family would tell you I'm fit for an attitude adjustment, my co-workers would suggest I'm not fit to be paid, and most days I have a period where I feel fit to be tied.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 years ago I was a mean racing machine Now I just ride when I feel like it and enjoy the scenery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Fit for what? My family would tell you I'm fit for an attitude adjustment, my co-workers would suggest I'm not fit to be paid, and most days I have a period where I feel fit to be tied.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't fit 20 years ago, still don't.

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, 20 years ago I was fatter, little exercise and drank heavily. Thank God I lived!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 years ago I didn't own a car, I bought Levis to fit my hard muscled thighs, not my skinny waist. I rode a bike everywhere, and I did long distance tours.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was one of those "Superfit" youngsters up to the age of 34. Then the strain of work- Big Mortgage and young family meant that I had to put my energies elsewhere. Then at the age of 44- I raced my 10 year old up the road and the Knee problem that stopped me from competitive running reared its head again and My Daughter beat me. Luckily- within a few weeks- a very good friend of mine suggested a bike ride and I have been riding ever since. So compared to my fitness of 20 years ago- There is no comparison. Compared to just as I started riding 15 years ago- then I am the fittest I have been in years. But compared to 30 or even 40 years ago- Forget it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twenty years ago, I was 60# lighter and a Cat 2 racer. My body fat was a little over 5% vs. 19.5% today. Given all that, I'd say I was much fitter then. However, I was also more susceptible to sore throats, colds, allergies, tendonitis, stomach and abdominal problems, etc. I also suffered a lot of broken bones (from crashing). Sometimes being super fit isn't all that healthy.
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The is a tough question, because in our teens, twenties and thirties, we expect some degree of fitness, but not so much later in life. So, from that point of view, I am much fitter now -- relative to my age -- than I was before 43, when I started riding. But even in my mid-thirties, I was lighter, more limber, and less suspectable to being sick.

I just passed 10,000 miles for the last 18 months of riding, and I have to think that regardless of my weight (5'10" x 220) I have to be in better cardio vascular shape than when I was younger.
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 10-25-06 at 05:20 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    Man, 20 years ago I was fatter, little exercise and drank heavily. Thank God I lived!
    Add me to this one. +1

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You asked about 20 years ago. I was still riding regularly back then, and I'm about as fit now as I was then.

But if you had asked about 15 years ago or 10 years ago or 5 years ago the answer would be I'm way more fit than then, because that's the time period during which I stopped riding almost completely.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more loved

20 years ago I was in a dubious marriage and today I am in a wonderful 2nd family of teenagers & in-laws with an adorable cro-moly baby doll of a wife who just luvs my sorry a** cuz I'm me.

As for fitness, about the same altho a few lbs heavier...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was the most fit of my life at age 35. Today at 61 I am probably as fit for my age, but of course that is relative. My longest one-day ride at 35 was 90 miles with a loaded touring bike. Now I occasionally do 60 miles loaded (the bike, not me ).

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got time now, kids in school, career advance was high priority time eaters.
    now 40 years ago - I'd a voted different, except the morning after a beer blast.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it 20 years ago once??

____________start slow, then ease off

My Bikes
    Miyata, Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, I was running 2:40 marathons 20 years ago at 148 lbs. Now 200 lbs and can't run 3 miles (nor do I want to)!
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fitness level has varied with the years. I'm about the same as 20 years ago.
    But I'm much fitter today than I was 10 years ago. Hopefully, riding will keep me fit for awhile.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compared to twenty years ago, I am twenty years older than I was then. That's about all I'm certain of. That, and the fact that clearly I'm no smarter now than I was then.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you and me both, Gary

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfast
    Heck, I was running 2:40 marathons 20 years ago at 148 lbs. Now 200 lbs and can't run 3 miles (nor do I want to)!
    So, what led you to quit running and get fat?
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twenty years ago?

My son broke his neck in February, 1986.

He had just moved from living in a hospital bed in our sheeted off living room into the addition we had built on the house.

I spent 4 months practically living in the hospital (first in Baton Rouge and then in Craig Rehab Hospital in Denver).

I spent from February for the next 3 years fighting for him to get fully back in life.

I eat under stress, and this was about as much stress as anyone might want. I personally trained over 100 aides, teaching them how to "transfer" and how electric wheelchairs work, and bowel programs and cleaning urine bags (aides don't stick around very long). I fought with numerous agencies for support, I fund raised over $60,000 to help pay for a specialized van and other equipment.

I remodeled computer keyboards to be able to be used with a mouthstick.

My physical condition was the very least of my worries. I gained weight, got totally run down, was continuously exhausted, and did not sleep much or well. Even walking was a strain.

My job went totally out the window.

20 years ago how fit was I?

Pretty close to a total breakdown is how fit I was. Some really BAD memories.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-26-06 at 06:10 AM.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twenty years ago I was still competing in full contract Karate events. I was fit, and I was hurt all the freaking time. Now, I ride, walk, lift weights, and probably can't take some of shots I used to be able to take, but I'm not hurt near as much, and I'm much happier. I'll take my "fitness" life today, vs. 20 years ago, in a heartbeat.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2006 Bianchi Giro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took my first "formal" exercise class about 20 years ago and discovered, much to my surprise, that I liked it. I was divorced with 2 little kids and an insane job - and found out that my "improved aerobic fitness" greatly improved my energy level and general outlook on life. The next year, I met a handsome dark-eyed man and fell head over heels - even when he left his high-paying job to start his own business as a gym owner. I must say, though, that after years of teaching all kinds of exercise, I never (ever!) was as aerobically fit as since I started riding this past June 30. 20 years later, I truly believe I feel better today than at 30. And it's SO MUCH FUN!
    2006 Bianchi Giro
    2006 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 100 pounds heavier and could barely walk up stairs without getting out of breath!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast