bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting new use for a bike!

Had some radio work done on my homebuilt plane yesterday so flew in to a main airport about 10 miles from my own little grass strip. I took a little folding bike along, and pedalled back to leave the plane overnight! (My butt sure was sore - don't know how you guys do it!)
    Today the work was done and had to go in with my pickup anyway, so on the way back left it at the airport and flew the plane back. Then jumped on my comfortable LWB recumbent, pedalled back to get my pickup. Going by the airport there was a motorcyle cavalcade welcoming a wounded soilder back, and they were all flying flags. As I knew the parents of the wounded soldier very well, and as I had a US flag flying from my bent for better visibility, I pulled right in with the motorcyles! Had a great time. Probably the first time a bent went joined the local "freedom riders" to honor a wounded soildier!
    Then went on and picked up the pickup at the Avionics shop, loaded the bent in the back and drove home. About a mile from home a small car was parked and a couple of kids were trying to get an escaped donkey back in a pasture. This is a wild burro originally obtained from the BLM and is used to keep coyotes off the farmer's sheep. So I parked the pickup making a sort of CHUTE into a gate in the fence, unloaded the bike and passed the runaway burro on the road, then in granny gear I was able to herd him back to the gate and close it! I should have had a cowboy hat on instead of the bike helmet, although the way that burro kicked at me once I was glad I had my helmet on!
    Don't know if this is a first for recumbent bikes or over 62 year old geezers like me, but it was sure fun!

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a fun and interesting experience, and definetley could have been a first for the bent.
    Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Jack aka:makeitso

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I wonder if they make cowboy boots that you can clip into pedals? You had quite an adventure on land, air.... Yeah, I guess the only thing missing was something happening on sea. Although I don't suspect that's likely to be real easy in North Dakota!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Torelli, Bianchi Trofeo, De Rosa, Specialized Expedition Touring, Colnago Cross, Motobecane Grand Jubile & Grand Record, Miyata 710, 2 Titans, Raleigh Super Course, 3Rensho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of those little grass strips in our area. Just discovered one right next to the MUP I ride regularly. I was just riding along chatting with another cyclist when we notice a small low wing plane (Cherokee?) approaching low over the golf course to our right. Thought it was going to land on the golf course but it went right over us about 50 feet up & landed on a small strip to our left that I had never noticed before due to Scotch broom growing along the path. Turns out the strip has been there since the 50's at least, just doesn't get much use.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was quite a ride. Yeehaw!

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Hey, I wonder if they make cowboy boots that you can clip into pedals? You had quite an adventure on land, air.... Yeah, I guess the only thing missing was something happening on sea. Although I don't suspect that's likely to be real easy in North Dakota!
    Then the inevitable question.... spurs or no spurs?
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please post pics of the plane! Oh, and the bikes...

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy™
    Then the inevitable question.... spurs or no spurs?
    Wouldn't that be spurless?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my own multi-transportation day (facilitated by bike) on Wednesday. Got up early in the morning to fly my airplane to Hagerstown, MD, for scheduled maintenance and flew back with a friend who commutes in from there every day. After a morning in my office, I drove to a garage about 6 miles away to drop off my car for an oil change and pick up my wife's car. At 5 pm, my wife rode my bike to my office to pick up her car, allowing me to ride my bike to the garage and pick up my own car.

One day, two airplanes, two cars, one bike.
    No donkeys, however.

Paul

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good friend of mine told me, when I told him of my adventure, "Wow, must have been quite a sight! An ass chasing a donkey!"