Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Check before riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Check before riding

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 01:21 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Check before riding

Seeing as how Nos88 has proved that accidents can happen through bad maintenance--It set me thinking about pre-ride checks that I do to save the embarrassing Incidents.

I suppose my preride checks start on the previous ride. The gear change that is not going correctly will be adjusted . The brake blocks will be checked on a regular basis for alignment and wear, and while cleaning the bike post ride- I will be finding the Bits that have become loose on the ride. Tyres will be checked for nails or apparant thorns and tears in the rubber- And the wheels will be spun to check for trueness

Then before I Take the bike out- I will run through my routine. Check tyre pressures and and that the chain is lubricated (Just in case I forgot to oil it after I cleaned it) Check the quick releases are tight enough, and that the bars and saddle are in the place that I left them after the last ride.

So How about the rest of you? Or do you just take the bike out of the Garage and ride it till it falls apart?

Spike Milligan
Old 10-27-06, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I mostly pay attention to how the bike performs on all rides, and if I notice something I fix it. Pre-ride checks are limited to tire pressure with the "thumb gauge" if it feels hard it must have enough air. I can only recall one incident where I was stranded by mechanical failure. That was many years ago when the bearing ring on my freewheel came unscrewed and dumped all the bearings out. Being older and smarter, now I would have screwed the ring back on and ridden home, but back then I hitched a ride back home.
Old 10-27-06, 01:47 PM

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Carefully checking tire pressure before every ride stopped my pinch flat problem.
Old 10-27-06, 02:08 PM

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the LAB ABC Quick check system before every ride ... Air Pressure, Brakes, Chain, Quick Releases.
Old 10-27-06, 02:49 PM
Live To Ride Another Day!

Bikes: Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
I could not imagine not checking tire pressure before each ride. I see drops in pressure as much as 40lbs between rides.
Old 10-27-06, 03:28 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Tire pressure, always.
2) Clean chain with WD-40 and re-lubricate often. Always after riding on a limestone trail.

Everything else, see the LBS.
Old 10-27-06, 04:21 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kick the tires, light the fires!
Old 10-27-06, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Being the trigger for this thread, I thought I'd chime in. On all outdoor (that is to say non-bike-in-a-trainer) rides: Check tires for cuts, check air pressure, check brakes, check spokes, check head set adjustment, and spin pedals backwards to check chain. While riding, any unusual sounds, vibrations, etc. I pull over immediately and check them out. Until today, I never checked anything on a bike in the trainer. That will change to: check seat, handlebars, and that the rear wheel is securely fixed in the trainer.
Old 10-27-06, 06:41 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkAJ
+1
I could not imagine not checking tire pressure before each ride. I see drops in pressure as much as 40lbs between rides.
Same here. I've been riding 25 seasons and it's a rare ride that I don't top off the tires and check the pressure.

Old 10-28-06, 03:21 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bounce the bike. If one end doesn't bounce back, it means I've got a tire problem. Any other problems I would know about from the previous ride. As far as airing the tires, I usually top them up every three days. If the pressure has dropped to below 100 lbs, I know I've got a slow leak.

- L.
Old 10-28-06, 03:40 PM
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check cleat bolts are tight in shoes.

Every so often check Saddle retaining bolt

george
Old 10-28-06, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I basically treat my bike like a car -- just take it and go, but bring it in to the shop for preventative service every three months.

I'll check the tire pressures every few weeks -- that's how long it takes the tires to lose significant air.

Paul
Old 10-28-06, 05:47 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
I top up the tires at least every few days, and I periodically inspect the wheels for loose spokes and lateral run-out, the cables for fraying, and the tires for cuts. As I ride, I pay close attention to how everything functions, and I do all of my own mechanical maintenance and repair work.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-28-06, 05:59 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
I'll check the tire pressures every few weeks -- that's how long it takes the tires to lose significant air.

Paul
I don't know what significant means, but my tires lose approx. 10% in a couple days. That's enough to affect performance and increase the chance of pinch flats.

Old 10-28-06, 06:19 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband does the maintenance on my bike but I do check air pressure, brakes and cables and other visuals before I ride. If I hear a funny noise while I'm riding, when I get back I tell my mechanic (husband) about it and he always finds the problem. I figure I have saved a bundle having a husband who is so handy.
Old 10-28-06, 06:42 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Tire pressure absolutely. Keep ear open for any chain noise, and carry some lube with me if I hear that dreaded dry sound - and lube on the road, as I did today. I also lube other's chain as the occasion may arise (i.e., one lone tourer our in the middle of the desert who had forgotten his lube bottle and was really dry).

Annual checkup.

Just look it over carefully.
Old 10-28-06, 09:18 PM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I periodically inspect the wheels for loose spokes and lateral run-out.
I clean my bike after every ride and re lube the chain. Before each ride I check the tire pressure and now give it a once over for loose nuts and bolts.

What is lateral run out?
Old 10-28-06, 11:33 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sandwarrior
I clean my bike after every ride and re lube the chain. Before each ride I check the tire pressure and now give it a once over for loose nuts and bolts.

What is lateral run out?
Lateral usually means "side-to-side" as in wobble. Radial runout means "out-of round" as in oval or egg-shaped.

Is that a Spartan Hoplite in your avatar?

I'm pretty fastidious in my maintenance. Clean chains, rings and rear derailluer. Fenders and a good long front flap to help with minimizing wet road grit on the works.
Old 10-29-06, 04:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my morning commutes, I just wipe my eyes, get on and ride. My attitude is similar in the PM.

On weekends, I'll top off my tires and, at the same time, check for any debris that might potentially cause them to flat.

Never much more in the way of checking than that. Nothing is ever loose on my bike. I use wax based chain lube, so the interval between re-lubes is very long.

I check twice before lowering the garage door (it's on an electric opener/closer) to make certain I have keys to get back into the house. Locking yourself out can make for a longer ride than you planned.

That's about it.

Caruso
Old 10-30-06, 05:47 AM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcm
Lateral usually means "side-to-side" as in wobble. Radial runout means "out-of round" as in oval or egg-shaped.

Is that a Spartan Hoplite in your avatar?

I'm pretty fastidious in my maintenance. Clean chains, rings and rear derailluer. Fenders and a good long front flap to help with minimizing wet road grit on the works.
Thank you for the information. Yes, that is a Spartan Hoplite.
Old 10-30-06, 07:40 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will check the tires by squeezing to test pressure. I pump them up every other day to keep them at 110psi. If I have not been on the bike for a couple of days or it has been rained upon I will check the brakes since the cables sometime get grimy and not release the brake. That is it, I wash the bike every 2-3 weeks and do a complete drive chain lube.

2013 Noah RS
Old 10-31-06, 02:10 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Seeing as how Nos88 has proved that accidents can happen through bad maintenance--It set me thinking about pre-ride checks that I do to save the embarrassing Incidents.
So How about the rest of you? Or do you just take the bike out of the Garage and ride it till it falls apart?
err... embarrassing akzi-dents... ah yeah
1st ride on my Garage Queen Titan , last Oct, well remembered...

assembled the bike and put on some newish type wheels, kool stuff, flat blade spokes, quasi deep V rims, 9 spd cassette , woooooo... (fancy stuff for a guy accustomed to DT shifters...)
Sat AM Touring Club ride... I dress in my finest roadie kit, shine up the Queen and roll real easy to meet point. Everyone oogles the Purple Haze, and after the usually tire kicking we all assemble to get on the road. by position I'm first off, roll easy and at the driveway stand to check for cars. Then really lean on the pedal to put the cane to the Queen. Promptly the wheel slides in the drops and wedges against the chainstay. Over I go, still clipped in, landing in a Privot hedge next to the driveway.
Not embarrassed, mortified ;-/
Everyone has to stop, most gaffaw and clap. I need help cause I can't get up outta da bush... ;-)
Turns out the newish skewers aren't continous increasing pressure like the olde campys I'm accustomed to.
They ease up on pressure because on Modern vert dropouts, gorilla pressure isn;t necessary. The Garage Queen, however, is '88 Vintage with std of the day semi horizontal drops - one still needs to clamp down in those things ;-|

Okay, so did I learn anything? Nope, afterall I'm 16, still...
If I don;t check the bike the night before a ride, it don;t get checked. Traditionally I'm always late for a group ride thing, which means straight from the bathroom to the bike - it better be watered and waitin, Pony Express style... cause I'm usually doing a TT to the ride start point.