Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

You don't have to stop

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

You don't have to stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 02:33 PM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't have to stop

A nice story, I guess this guy rode in with the B ride of the group I ride with last week and tortured everyone.

https://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...h/16105966.htm

2013 Noah RS
Old 11-29-06, 04:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys like this give me hope . . . I'm 51 and would certainly like to think I could ride another 30+ years.
Old 11-29-06, 04:28 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This guy has the right attitude! We may be getting older, but don't let anyone tell us we are getting old.

A couple of years ago I was recovering from a fall from the top of some bleachers and got very irritated with the doctors and nurses. Seems every time I went in for an test someone would comment about much longer it would take me to heal now that I was old (all of 48 years!) I started warning the docs that as long as they recognized I was getting older, but was not old, the better we would all get along.

Finally got channeled to physical therapists, who understood the concept that we define how old we are. The more active we stay, the more likely we will continue to get older

Besides, my therapists were bikers and urged me to get back into the saddle as soon as my bumped and bruised body would let me sit. Turns out bike riding is good for compressed vertebrae.
Old 11-29-06, 07:54 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Several of the doctors in my town are avid cyclists, including my regular doc and my ENT doc. When I go in for my annual physical, we have to make an effort to stop talking about bike rides and races long enough to make sure I'm in good physical shape. I have a tendency for high cholesterol, so when the numbers are a little high the discussion is about the choice between miles on the bike or medication. I always choose more miles.
Old 11-29-06, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
One of the guys in our club finally stopped cycling at 92. He was always a slow cyclist and he outlived all the people that he was riding with. And the rest of the club was too fast for him.

I figure that if he had been fast enough he'd still be riding today.