User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 2.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pain on left side of Right Knee

Today, I rode my normal 50 mile Saturday ride. At about mile 25, starting noticing a pain on the inside of my right knee when pedaling. I have not had this pain before. Nothing has changed in my bike setup. I am using clipless pedals with float, so I don't think the problem is there. By the time I got home, I was having to pedal hard on each stroke with my good leg. Now it is night time and the knee is just a little sore. I have been taking Motrin. Knee seems ok for the most part, unless I am on my bike. No redness, no swelling.

I have read maybe it is a collateral ligament or tendonitus. Maybe I just twisted my knee during the week and did notice the problem until I was on my bike. Will keep taking the motrin. I will not have a chance to ride again for 7 more days. Maybe the rest will help. Anyone else had this problem?

Dennis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ice. Then search the site for all the posts about this subject. Usually has to do with saddle ht and adjustments.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 2.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure if saddle height and adjustments are the problem. I ride 50 miles every Saturday and just did a century two weeks ago. I have logged 1500 miles on this bike and the setup has not changed. I will take your advice about the ice. Thanks.

Dennis

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the pain on both knees (and on one side of knee ) at various times. I don't know what it is. It starts slowly and grows to a point where you have to really back off (really stunk at 20 miles into my century ride). It's never been a severe pain but picks up fast if I push hard. In my case a couple days rest helps a lot.
    Just before it passed last time I read some posts that suggested spinning at a lower gear may help.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also been having some knee pain recently. I attribute much of mine to cycling in cold weather. It's important to keep the knees warm in winter and I've discovered that the knees really don't ever seem that cold.

I did decide to take a week off from cycling, but today I went about 15 miles in very cold weather. This time I added an extra layer -- actually I wore old-fashioned cotton jogging pants and some old-fashioned long underwear. Seemed to work. No knee pain tonight.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought....but you might set up facing a mirror on a trainer. Do some pedaling and observe to see if your legs/knees are going straight up and down or are they "going in circles" or "bowing out".

I've had to adjust my pedaling to where my knees are a lot closer to my top tube when pedaling but that fixed some similar issues I experienced. That might not be the case for you at all but it seems to have helped me....Mine showed up when I was pushing a lot harder gear on some longer climbs.

Gerv's point is important as well. Interestingly, I've noticed that when I have on leg warmers or knee warmers for some reason the "restriction" around my knees causes them to feel differently. For me it might have to do with the kneecap. Go figure........
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just took a look at Andy Pruitt's guide. There are a few knee maladies related to medial (inside), but they all are pretty much treated with ice and anti-inflammatories. The long term cause of these can be related to your stroke (e.g., are you bow-legged or knock-kneed?) and/or saddle height, so the suggestion to check out your stroke in the mirror is probably a good one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmcclus
    Today, I rode my normal 50 mile Saturday ride. At about mile 25, starting noticing a pain on the inside of my right knee when pedaling. I have not had this pain before. Nothing has changed in my bike setup. I am using clipless pedals with float, so I don't think the problem is there. By the time I got home, I was having to pedal hard on each stroke with my good leg. Now it is night time and the knee is just a little sore. I have been taking Motrin. Knee seems ok for the most part, unless I am on my bike. No redness, no swelling.

I have read maybe it is a collateral ligament or tendonitus. Maybe I just twisted my knee during the week and did notice the problem until I was on my bike. Will keep taking the motrin. I will not have a chance to ride again for 7 more days. Maybe the rest will help. Anyone else had this problem?

Dennis
    I have soreness like that at the inside of both knees. My doctor, who doesn't seem much concerned about it, says that it's "probably" tendonitis. I've had this for years, and weirdly: it gets about the worst in, say, February, when I'm still riding, but a minimal amount. When the weather gets warm, my knees feel better the more that I ride. The first year that my knees really hurt like this, I was reluctant to ride much when it came to April and May, figuring I should take it easy and let them get better. But they didn't, and I got tired of not riding, so I did anyway, and they actually improved (some). Sometimes I go through a lot of ibuprophine, hard to say how much it actually helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may already do this, but whenever temps are 50's or below, wear something on your knees. I have knee warmers that I wear starting in 50's, and progressively go to leg warmers and then full tights. If I was riding below 30F, I'd probably wear knee warmers under tights. Assuming that your setup is OK, you probably also have some core instability that manifests in knee pain as weather gets cold and you become less flexible. Get thee to the gym and work on your core strength and flexibility to prevent the odd outbreak of aches and pains in knees and lower back.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seat post slipping? +1 to advice about cold weather riding.... keep knees warm.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831