Thread: Ebay Junkie?

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ebay Junkie?

I got my winter project bike rideable on Thanksgiving (you can read about it here), and was so pleased with it that I started bargain shopping for upgrades for some of the old parts I used, and when I received my brake calipers this week, it occurred to me that this was the first time since the end of October that I had no outstanding bike part orders to be delivered.

Of course, I immediately went to ebay and bought a couple of things. Am I an addict?
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, but what addiction could be better??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat
    Yep, but what addiction could be better??
    How about being addicted to functioning as a good citizen of this country? Oh I know, I've heard all the arguments. "E-bay is harmless." "The lost tax revenue won't hurt the country." "Foriegners selling goods to the US doesn't effect the trade deficit." Yeah, right. And communism is a worker's paradise. No, from where I'm standing, once you place a bid on e-bay, you're as pink as John Kerry at an anti-war rally. Take it from me, Bent Boy. The next time you "lay back" on your recumbant, think about the anti-American sypathizers who are "laid back" in the sun somewhere, drinking Vodka and toasting the new found wealth they garnered taking advantage of people like you. People who would rather "score a bargain" (in the vernacular of the hip) than straighten up and fly right.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to a local thrift store Saturday and looked at two old bikes, a Fuji Espree with Valite tubing and a Raleigh Record in good shape...

I even asked about pricing, and they were asking $10 each. I still couldn't pull the trigger on either one because I just don't have room in my 1 BR apartment.

However, I still looked at eBay and Craigslist the last few days for good deals...

This is a definite addiction for me...

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had very good luck with eBay purchases, often finding things unavailable elsewhere, such as NOS 49 and 47 tooth, 6-bolt, 152mm BCD aluminum Simplex chainrings for my 1960 Capo.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webb Diego
    How about being addicted to functioning as a good citizen of this country? Oh I know, I've heard all the arguments. "E-bay is harmless." "The lost tax revenue won't hurt the country." "Foriegners selling goods to the US doesn't effect the trade deficit." Yeah, right. And communism is a worker's paradise. No, from where I'm standing, once you place a bid on e-bay, you're as pink as John Kerry at an anti-war rally. Take it from me, Bent Boy. The next time you "lay back" on your recumbant, think about the anti-American sypathizers who are "laid back" in the sun somewhere, drinking Vodka and toasting the new found wealth they garnered taking advantage of people like you. People who would rather "score a bargain" (in the vernacular of the hip) than straighten up and fly right.
    That would have been funnier if I hadn't just had to pay Texas sales tax on an ebay purchase Saturday...
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you have an addiction, but your fighting it, recognizing your problem. Admitting your addiction is the first step toward recovery.
    The second step is to send all those unused parts to me so you are not tempted to sell them on ebay!
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebody must of fell down after buying clipless pedals off'a ebay.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Retro-guy
    My Bikes
    1980 Raleigh Super Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hask12
    Yikes.
    Yeah, yikes is right...

Not to get too deep into a debate on taxing internet transactions, but:

- why should there be a sales tax on buying something used, when the original purchaser paid sales tax on the initial purchase?

- sales of new product on ebay are subject to the same laws as mail-order sales (as far as I know). Usually there is a sales tax added if the seller is in the same state as the buyer. (Yes, I understand that some ebay sellers of new merchandise just list their location as "USA", and that this may be an effort to avoid sales tax on purchases from their own state.)

- Many states in theory have a "use tax" that you are supposed to pay in certain situations when you buy something from another state (either via mail-order or internet). With the exception of cars and other very large ticket items, it is not clear to me that anyone ever pays use taxes.

Maybe our laws regarding the taxing of internet purchases need some improvement, but I hardly think that buying something on ebay makes you a card-carrying, Pravda-reading, commie pinko. Lord knows there are enough of those around anyway, without including ebay users! In any case, the root cause of all of the above is that sales tax is a combination of a state tax, and/or other local tax bodies. Since it is not a federal tax, there is no real way for one state to demand that another state collect its tax for them, unless they were to work out a reciprocal agreement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're not writing for a living... I wish you were! I love it!

My Bikes
    '70s Puch sport tourer, '90 Peugeot Success.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Republican & Dem parties are equally involved in the US trade relationship with Stalino-capitalist China. What we need is a whole new system - another 1776. Peacefully if possible. But our political bosses know that as long as we can get cheap goods from the PRC & other "free trade" sources, we won't lift a finger.

BTW, Bush got into the ANG through his father's influence so he could avoid Vietnam, & he was missing from the ranks for a year. Funny how he's cut slack for that. http://www.awolbush.com/
    Last edited by Cyclepath; 12-22-06 at 01:08 PM.
    Where have you been all your life?

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are worst addictions and this is related to cycling so no harm done (probably ).
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent
    Of course, I immediately went to ebay and bought a couple of things. Am I an addict?
    You are a grevious sinner and you have tempted the rest of us with your idolatry - just ask my wife.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Many states in theory have a "use tax" that you are supposed to pay in certain situations when you buy something from another state (either via mail-order or internet). With the exception of cars and other very large ticket items, it is not clear to me that anyone ever pays use taxes.

But you are breaking the "law" when you do not send in your use tax.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to admit it, but I don't break that law. I do declare what I purchase from other states and pay Wisconsin sales tax on it.

Although you don't have to do it when you purchase from an individual, so I don't pay tax on those purchases.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting back to eBay. It seems to me that a lot of bikes sell for pretty stiff prices on eBay. Occasionally I see a good, low price, but not often. Especially once one adds in the shipping charges.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying a bike on ebay would violate my $100 rule. I don't buy anything over $100 that isn't in my presence as I pay for it (well ok, I fudged a few dollars for a couple of items this year).

If you are not in a hurry, and willing to shop, there are some great ebay buys to be found. Some of my purchases the last two months:

used Shimano 600 road brakes - $11.62
    new Truvativ Touro triple crank - $30
    new Vuelta Starlight wheelset with 2 Michelin Pro Race 2 tires - $115
    new Sram PG970 11-34 9 speed cassette - $33.46
    new Sram trigger shifters - $29.04

Those prices all include the shipping. The deals are there, and it sure made building a bike from a frame (and upgrading it) cheaper than I thought.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1284&rd=1&rd=1

A $25 leather saddle? It resembles (in appearance only, I'm sure) those big Brooks cruiser saddles that sell for around $125.

I contacted the seller to confirm that it was real leather and he said it was. Of course it could still be some kind of tough cowhide or bonded leather that is as hard as a sheet of plastic.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclepath
    The Republican & Dem parties are equally involved in the US trade relationship with Stalino-capitalist China. What we need is a whole new system - another 1776. Peacefully if possible. But our political bosses know that as long as we can get cheap goods from the PRC & other "free trade" sources, we won't lift a finger.

BTW, Bush got into the ANG through his father's influence so he could avoid Vietnam, & he was missing from the ranks for a year. Funny how he's cut slack for that. http://www.awolbush.com/
    Um, this is a thread about bikes and Ebay. There are other venues for you to air your "views".

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people do get caried away with Ebay. I just saw a new Campy Record rear der sold at auction for $20 more than it would have cost at any number of online cycling stores (including ones listed only a few inches below on the auction page). And the shipping was more expensive too on the auction. Wonder why people do that?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
    Some people do get caried away with Ebay. I just saw a new Campy Record rear der sold at auction for $20 more than it would have cost at any number of online cycling stores (including ones listed only a few inches below on the auction page). And the shipping was more expensive too on the auction. Wonder why people do that?
    I think it's just a part of auction bidders' mentality, a major reason why sellers like auctions. People get in a feeding frenzy, determined to outbid everyone else for something they want, and bid themselves right out of good deal.

I bought an Edge fairing for my recumbents on ebay. This is a standard JB Importers fairing which can be ordered from any bicycle shop. The best price I've seen online is $140. Individual bike shops each have their own markups, but you could expect to pay $150 to $170 from your LBS. The ebay seller I bought from always has one listed, with a starting bid of $89, and the auctions often end with no bids at all on the fairing. I waited until the last 10 seconds of one listing, and bought mine for the $89. Two weeks later, one sold for $210! Now tell me what on earth that bidder was thinking! That's ebay...
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclepath
    The Republican & Dem parties are equally involved ...... blah, blah, blah....
    Jeez, dude - take a valium and lighten up. It was humor - and pretty well-written humor at that.
    "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don't do the EBay thing very often, but I don't care what others are doing. I lost a considerable amount of money ($575) on EBay about five years ago and now only use it for out of date parts that are hard to find elsewhere and small change stuff. It's a pretty good source for old parts like replacing one scraped up 1999 brake lever or matching an old shifter.

Dennis
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbossman
    Jeez, dude - take a valium and lighten up. It was humor - and pretty well-written humor at that.
    I can't wait til Webb Diego sees this and realizes you think he's funny. I wouldn't wanna be you...
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.