Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Medicare Metric

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Medicare Metric

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 03:30 PM
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Medicare Metric

Tomorrow is my 65th birthday. Yes I was born two days after Pearl Harbor. I tell everyone that I was the first "baby boomer". Anyway, I'm going to attempt to ride my age plus five, leaving my hometown of Greeneville, TN and riding southwest to Knoxville, TN where my father originally lived. The problem is: the weather prediction here is for 11 degrees tonight and that's in good old American "round zero" degrees. I'm calling the bike ride the "Medicare Metric!" aka the "Tour de Willie" since some people think I resemble a certain country singer by the same name. There are about 20 people coming to the dinner after the ride but I have only found three or four friends who are planning on riding with me. Thankfully, it is supposed to be sunny with no wind and a high reaching the mid forties. Wish me luck!

Ned
Old 12-08-06, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Ned, sounds like it will be the "Tour de chilly". Hope it's a great ride. Let us know who it goes.
Old 12-08-06, 03:41 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
With no wind and high forties you do not need encouragement- Just think of how bad it could be. Good luck on the ride and no matter how cold- Still drink before you need to- find a slice of pie before you need to and think of the rest of us forced to get out in the garden and sweat the lbs off in a more relaxing manner.

The extra miles will come back and bite you on this forum so just just ride your age and then stop the computer. The extra 5 will be an extra 10 next year and the weather may not be as good.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-13-06, 02:12 PM
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did it! Everybody backed out except one friend. He is a postal worker and, as we all know, nothing stops them from completing their appointed task. We left the Homestead Restaurant, where we had breakfast, at 8:00 a.m. My computer has a thermometer and it read 10 degrees. After we started moving, the temperature dropped to eight! My son followed us all the way and supported us in my van. We stayed pretty warm except for our toes and fingertips. My friend, Mike, had some hand warmers that look like tea bags. We put those both in our shoes and gloves. By ten O'clock was was starting to feel good. There is an old saying: "If someone is beating you with three sticks and then he beats you with only one stick, it feels gooe!" This situation was about the same. We both had some problem with our legs cramping after about 40 miles but just walking some and a couple of painkillers alleviated thatl We ended up in Knoxville at the Regas Restaurant at five p.m., almost exactly seventy miles, and were joined by our wives and some other friends and relatives. I passed on the pie and opted for a peppercorn filet. I'm already planning the next ride in five years on my 70th birthday, The Tour de Willie/70. It's a ride from Miami to Key West. It may be crowded but surely it will be warm!
Old 12-13-06, 03:38 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyTopBiker
I did it! Everybody backed out except one friend. He is a postal worker and, as we all know, nothing stops them from completing their appointed task. We left the Homestead Restaurant, where we had breakfast, at 8:00 a.m. My computer has a thermometer and it read 10 degrees. After we started moving, the temperature dropped to eight! My son followed us all the way and supported us in my van. We stayed pretty warm except for our toes and fingertips. My friend, Mike, had some hand warmers that look like tea bags. We put those both in our shoes and gloves. By ten O'clock was was starting to feel good. There is an old saying: "If someone is beating you with three sticks and then he beats you with only one stick, it feels gooe!" This situation was about the same. We both had some problem with our legs cramping after about 40 miles but just walking some and a couple of painkillers alleviated thatl We ended up in Knoxville at the Regas Restaurant at five p.m., almost exactly seventy miles, and were joined by our wives and some other friends and relatives. I passed on the pie and opted for a peppercorn filet. I'm already planning the next ride in five years on my 70th birthday, The Tour de Willie/70. It's a ride from Miami to Key West. It may be crowded but surely it will be warm!

You are braver than me 10Deg sounds cold. How were the Tea bags- Did they work?

Typical of the drop outs though and also typical of the Forecast weather!!!

Well done but 5 years between birthdays sounds a long time.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-13-06, 04:04 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Well done but 5 years between birthdays sounds a long time.
this is Tennessee, remember? time moves slower there...
Old 12-13-06, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyTopBiker
I passed on the pie
Uh-oh!

Congratulations and happy birthday.
Old 12-13-06, 08:00 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!!
Nice story. I didn't pick it up when you first posted. Bday + 5 is a good accomplishment!!
You should give yourself additional credit because of the chilly weather. 10 degrees, I would have been one of your no shows
Old 12-13-06, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a cool post. I hope the filet was delicious. You most certainly earned it!
Old 12-13-06, 09:24 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
10 degrees? Great Googly Moogly! Way to go.

10 degrees will always be
too dang cold for me
but good old Rockytop
did the Tour de Willie
(better him than me)
Old 12-13-06, 09:55 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Fantastic! We were out in that stuff and it was indeed a little chilly. Congratulations on the terrific ride.
Old 12-14-06, 05:50 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Good ride; good post! Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. ANd don't you hate that feeling when y
Old 12-14-06, 05:52 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Good ride; good post! Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. And don't you hate that feeling when you're thinking to yourself, "OK, it cold, but once we start riding it'll warm up."; only to see that it's actually getting colder? Way to tough it out.