Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Note of Appreciation to BF50+

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 08:45 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

I just wanted to let this forum know how much I have appreciated the encouragement, conversation, debate, and shared thoughts during this last year. I feel that in 2006 I turned serious about my biking, and finding this forum and people to share with (yes, even you liberals and Democrats) has kept me motivated and interested.

I had planned for 2400 to 3000 miles this year, including at least two short tours and one long one, and to ride my first century. I did a short tour in Februrary, but that was it. Two shoulder surgeries, one in June and one in August, cut everything short. Now I'm back to riding and hoping to increase the miles and speeds again. I'm still a good ways from riding in the drops, so the flat bar Fuji I bought last summer has worked out nice, and now has about 500 miles on it. Weather has been generally good down south so I try for two to three rides per week with my longest ride since June being 29 miles. Yesterday I tried one of the hillier routes of this hilly country and took nearly two hours for 24 miles. Oh well ! On off days I do rehab on the shoulder. I find if I do both rehab and riding then I might as well come home, take a hydrocordone, and go to bed. Rehab and recovery gets harder as you get older. Unlike DnvrFox, who is down to 190# bench press...my bench press is now UP to about 75# (3x12 reps, haven't tried a max) after having one shoulder muscle torn completely, torn ligaments, etc. I can also scratch my opposite shoulder and reach things on the top shelf, so that is a definite improvement and looks like I will eventually get good use of the right arm again.

Here's my mileage for the year, just a post to share. Next year....3000 miles for sure (barring any accident)

MO Monthly Mileage Cumulative Mileage
Jan-06---------123------------------123
Feb-06---------249------------------372
Mar-06----------97------------------469
Apr-06--------- 347------------------817
May-06---------239----------------1,056
Jun-06----------298----------------1,353
Jul-06----------- 17----------------1,371
Aug-06---------- 29----------------1,399
Sep-06----------- 0----------------1,399
Oct-06-----------42 ---------------1,441
Nov-06----------109---------------1,550
Dec-06----------129---------------as of 12/20

Last edited by Monoborracho; 12-22-06 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-22-06, 08:50 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
"Rehab and recovery gets harder as you get older."

Truer words were never spoke. That's my big complaint of aging. Small injuries can take months and years to recover and other problems reverberate around my skeleton while I'm favoring the injury du jour.
Old 12-22-06, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm wondering whether the "best is yet to be", but simply Being counts for something considering The Alternative. I do get wistful when looking at riding logs from not-that-many years ago. In the end, just being "out there" at any level is beyond what many of our peers can envision or accomplish.
Old 12-22-06, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
I just wanted to let this forum know how much I have appreciated the encouragement, conversation, debate, and shared thoughts during this last year. I feel that in 2006 I turned serious about my biking, and finding this forum and people to share with (yes, even you liberals and Democrats) has kept me motivated and interested.
And we're glad you found us.

Congratulations on your '06 accomplishments.
Old 12-22-06, 10:38 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Isn't it about time for some entirely negative comments from one of the curmudgeons skulking around?

Anyway, I am so glad you are here and found us. The thing is, any of us could have any kind of injury at any time (perhaps not even from bicycling) and would need to go through a recovery process. Your story gives us hope.

On to 3,000 miles.
Old 12-22-06, 11:44 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Mono-thanks so much for the post and sharing your thoughts. It's a lot of fun seeing folks go through the various stages after catching the "cycling bug" and sharing their experiences. We all know you have a lot of memorable miles ahead of you. Best of luck on the continued recovery with the shoulder and in the future those 29 miles will seem much, much shorter.........unless of course you're going into some of those infamous headwinds you folks write about.
Old 12-22-06, 12:27 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1000
Old 12-22-06, 12:34 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mono - I'm impressed that with the surgeries, etc. you got as many miles as you did. It ain't easy being a steady cyclist even with no obstacles put in your path (bad pun) but I think you did a d*mn fine job of it this year. And it is a credit to your dedication to this sport that you have done this in the 'hinterlands' of cycling (we don't live in the friendlist state for two-wheelers, at least the vehicles without loud 2-stroke engines).

I also appreciate your good posts to this forum while you were rehabbing - for a while your situation reports were kinda bleak but you've re-emerged! So when is the next ride with your big brother?
Old 12-22-06, 06:29 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
As I've said before, cycling has given me 3 "F's": Friends, Fitness and Focus. Seem's it's doing the same for you, probably most of us. 3000 is definitely in your future.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 12-22-06, 07:23 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let's see, you've got 1679 miles in. Just 721 to go and you probably have a few days off for Christmas!

Go for it!!

:-)
Old 12-23-06, 07:14 AM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A century a day and a double and you've got it! Don't give up now!

Of course, I avoid such problems by not setting riding goals. I feel that they cause unnecessary stress when set too high, which I always do!
Old 12-23-06, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Looking good monoborracho, I'm glad everything is working out for you. I keep trying myself,but that's a diifferent story.Good luck and Merry Christmas and by the way if you want to sell that flatbar when you get better let me know.George
Old 12-23-06, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,035 Times in 4,473 Posts
Progress, you're going the right way. I had tendon transplant surgery some years ago in my left shoulder and it just kept getting better until it's better than the other one. Never really got back to the weights, but the range of motion is great and it's pain-free. Now if I could just get the other one and the wrist and the ankle and the lower back and..oh, never mind.
Old 12-23-06, 03:49 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Isn't it about time for some entirely negative comments from one of the curmudgeons skulking around?
I already waste enough d*** time on the Web. I need you guys like I need a hole in the head.

If DG asks us to help him make up his mind for him one more time I'm gonna puke.

As if obnoxious opinionated old American farts aren't bad enough, we have braying old Aussies, pushy old Krauts, old Limey poofters and God knows what else around here. Jeez.

And anyone who goes about with Merry Christmas on his lips should be boiled in his own pudding and buried with a stake of holly in his heart.

How 'bout them apples, bub?

And so's yer old man.

Last edited by bcoppola; 12-23-06 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-23-06, 06:45 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by bcoppola
I already waste enough d*** time on the Web. I need you guys like I need a hole in the head.

If DG asks us to help him make up his mind for him one more time I'm gonna puke.

As if obnoxious opinionated old American farts aren't bad enough, we have braying old Aussies, pushy old Krauts, old Limey poofters and God knows what else around here. Jeez.

And anyone who goes about with Merry Christmas on his lips should be boiled in his own pudding and buried with a stake of holly in his heart.

How 'bout them apples, bub?

And so's yer old man.

You didn't even attack me personally. I am disappointed!
Old 12-23-06, 06:57 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Merry Christmas
Old 12-23-06, 07:40 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by CrossChain
I'm wondering whether the "best is yet to be", but simply Being counts for something considering The Alternative. I do get wistful when looking at riding logs from not-that-many years ago. In the end, just being "out there" at any level is beyond what many of our peers can envision or accomplish.
One more excellent reason to not keep mileage logs!
Old 12-23-06, 11:05 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what is so refreshing about the 50+ forum. Almost everyone here has a sense of humor and toleration.
Old 12-23-06, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
In the end, just being "out there" at any level is beyond what many of our peers can envision or accomplish.
Oh...I'm "out there" alright.

Way"out there".
Old 12-24-06, 03:54 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
Oh...I'm "out there" alright.

Way"out there".
Oh sure, since you admit you're a freak of nature, that makes it all go away, right? Well, let me tell you something, Mister, that's not the way it goes down when the cards are shuffled, the chips are down, the roulette wheel is spinning, and the fat lady is starting to sing. Yeah, that's right. I'm talking about meeting the Big Guy in the sky, the one who sees through your antics and your clever catch phrases designed to throw the fine citizens of this city off the track. The track to where, you ask? Well, I'll tell you where. The track to the Promised Land. Because, Buddy Boy, when you board the final train, no one but The Big Conductor In The Sky knows where your ticket is punched for. Makes you kind nervous, doesn't it, Pally? It should. And let me tell you why. Remember the first time you "smoked" a "joint" of "Mary Jane," or "snorted" a "line" of "blow," or "shot up" with "H," which is what the people on the street call heroin. If you can call them people. I call them animals, because that's what they are. Oh sure, they have a big smile and will pat you on the back. But when the building you're in catches fire, then where are they? Out back, husting their "stash" of illegal drugs to whoever or whatever will buy their "stuff." But that's not you I'm describing, is it Louie? No, it's some other loser with the same name and the same address and the same social security number. Probably the same make and model car, too. You know the one I mean, the one you stole from that little old lady in Youngstown who never even looked at anyone wrong. But not any more. No sir. She's now another cynic, waiting for the next two-bit thug to come along and take something that belongs to her. I guess you're pretty proud right now, aren't you?

Last edited by Webb Diego; 12-24-06 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-24-06, 04:52 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Webby Dee,

Now that you've got that off your chest, be a good boy and ride your bike to Christmas Eve services today. Certainly there will be several close by and considering the pleasant weather in L.A., you might even need to go to more than one. In fact, I'm certain you will benifit from singing as many carols as possible today. Doing so will help lower that persistent cardiac hypertension you must certainly have. Also, listen carefully to the readings. They will speak to your heart, and while I hope you never go "soft on crime," you do need to loosen up a bit on the law abiding BF-50+ers sharing their comments. Merry Christmas Webb. May you find the gifts of peace and joy.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-24-06, 09:14 AM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha Ha! After Bcoppola, Webb D and Pastorbob, what can I add??? Bah Humbug?!?
Seriously, Merry Christmas to everybody! I sure do enjoy reading everybody's posts (even the far right and left's posts - I'm a middle of the roader) and swapping tips, advice, and plain old biking lies! After a while you feel that you get to "know" everybody!
So Merry Xmas - may everyone have a great 5000 miler 07 and always feel like you are riding downhill and with the wind!
Old 12-24-06, 09:55 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
You didn't even attack me personally. I am disappointed!
Only because, in a momentary fit of Christmas cheer, I didn't think it fair to attack someone who can't respond...

'cause he's got nuthin' but blueberries between his ears!!

Bwahahahah!

(Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Festivus, Happy Kwanzaa to my fellow obnoxious old Americans and even you Krauts, Canucks, Limeys, Aussies and whatever else. Keep the rubber side down and keep on spinning in the New Year.)