Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Did you meet your annual mileage goal?
Yes
65.06%
No
19.28%
No, but had a good reason.
15.66%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Goal Poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-06, 12:25 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goal Poll

Okay all you 50+ers. Only a few more days to go till the end of the year. Let's see how many of you did or did not make your riding goal (mileage) this year. I just got off the trainer and just met mine of 5400 miles. I do count trainer miles (with appropriate resistance setting). Where I live I have to do about 25% of my miles indoors just because it is so cold and windy late fall to mid spring. So let's see your vote and comments.

Miles: 5400

Best ride: 80 miler from Laramie to Centennial then to Albany and back to Laramie with about 2600 feet of climbing.

Worst ride: A five miler while visiting Portland OR. My right knee hurt so bad I did not think I was going to be able to make it back to the condo. Interestingly it did not hurt at all three days later and has not bothered me again.
Old 12-23-06, 12:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will have after today. And that's without trainer miles; if I count those, I've already gone well past.

edit: OK, for the record, my days is done. I hit 1008 miles since April (or was it May?) versus a year end target of 1K. And I still have a week to go.

Had a really good day today, too, went back to a climb I had tried -and given up on- many weeks ago. During the initial climb (which is as far as I made it last time), I kept thinking "Not bad, not bad". After that, the climb levels off some but it's still all up hill for 2/3 of a mile. It was almost easy. Not bad for a guy who couldn't make it once around the block on day One.

Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 12-23-06 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-23-06, 12:43 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, not only 1500+ mi (started in May) but more importantly weight, cholesterol, triglycerides, and BP...On to next year!!! Serious goals!!!
Best ride - The First 50mi.er after getting serious again this year
Worst ride - 1 1/2 hrs riding intervals on the trainer (Did I mention I hate riding intervals)
Old 12-23-06, 12:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
I will have after today. And that's without trainer miles; if I count those, I've already gone well past.
Costa Rica is a long way off, maybe I'll move to Pacifica.
Old 12-23-06, 12:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAlt
Worst ride - 1 1/2 hrs riding intervals on the trainer (Did I mention I hate riding intervals)
If they don't, everyone should hate them.
Old 12-23-06, 02:11 PM
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 53 Posts
I did well over 3500 miles . I never had a set goal, just to ride more. Long ride of 103 miles. I lost almost two months after a bike crash in March that resulted in a concusion and neck injury that is still bothering me a little. So my best year ever,even with the crash. Number one lesson learned is that a 55 year old body takes a long time to heal. This is why I have no desire to ride in bad icy weather. One spill could end you cycling or worse. I will still ride when the temp is 40F and there is no ice or snow. Next year I will ride further faster.
Old 12-23-06, 02:36 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't have an annual goal. Just a daily goal. I intend to make it to work and back and do my shopping and my chores. I made it. I learned that when it is icy, I'm best off walking. Both cars and bikes are dangerous when you mix hills and ice.
Old 12-23-06, 02:41 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished a 25 mile ride today. When I started the year I thought 3000 was doable. I
pulled a tendon in my leg in August. And started back riding too soon a couple of times. I
didn’t ride at all in October and only 4 times in September. Mid Nov I started back riding to
work.

I may get up to 2500 miles by the end of the year.
175 days I went on a bike ride!
I am happy with what I am able to do and 2007 has the promise of a much better year.
Old 12-23-06, 02:51 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm from the school of setting goals you can achieve. ergo I get to feel great when I finally get their, as opposed to feeling bad cause I never reached it. Anyway the goal was 1600 miles, and I'm currently at 1774. Will probably go with 2000 miles for 2007. Should set a goal for weight lost, but with past results being best indicator of future results AND using my philosophy that is a goal I can't set. Also next year I will ride my age on my birthday, 62 miles. Managed a 50 mile trip this year, so that should be possible.
Old 12-23-06, 02:53 PM
zugig

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Rocky MT Cross, BMC Pro,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
made my goal today, 4000 miles. this is my second year riding, did 2500 my first, and i just picked 4000.
did 4 centurys, whole bunch of metrics. planning for more next yr centurys and miles. made 1 other goal, not to be dropped on my clubs hammerfest ride

karl
Old 12-23-06, 02:55 PM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't believe in annual goals. When I set them I set them too high and get mad when I fail. I just ride to ride and keep my diabetes under control.

I do set a goal of the minimum number of miles I will ride when setting out. Those I normally exceed!
Old 12-23-06, 03:38 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I made two goals for the year, so far. First of all, I made my goal of 8,000 miles with room to spare and I made my primary goal of zero miles on an indoor trainer.

Old 12-23-06, 03:54 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hit my goal of getting out to ride as much as possible this year- but that was due to having a road bike to just jump on and ride after work. No cleaning and lubing of the MTB after every ride that would normally take too much time to prepare. I can do, and have done, 5 rides ofn the road bike without checking it- except for tyre pressures and chain lube.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-23-06, 04:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I made two goals for the year, so far. First of all, I made my goal of 8,000 miles with room to spare and I made my primary goal of zero miles on an indoor trainer.
Okay so now I officially hate you.
Old 12-23-06, 04:43 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I had set no goals, it's all gravy...

Riding my bike to work every day is my favorite time of most days: my wife encourages the commuting since my mood & general prickliness seem to stay much more livable when I'm riding every day.

Having a pimped-out commuter bike has helped a lot & I figure I should get at least 2,000 miles this year. BUT I'm going to take it one day, one week, one month at a time: I refuse to get obsessive about the mileage since I'm quite obsessive enough in other dimensions of life.

My REAL goal for this year is to get my favorite wife, my cro-moly baby, that delightful sexy woman who not only tolerates but loves my sorry soul - I'm going to get her A NEW BIKE! [new thread to follow]
Old 12-23-06, 04:45 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8,000 miles? Great Caesar's Ghost, that's A LOT OF MILES! Amazing, simply amazing and you are to be congratulated for setting such a goal & achieving it.
Old 12-23-06, 05:21 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I didn't reach my mileage goals, I have managed 181 rides this year, and there's still a week to go. I will easily reach one ride every other day, and I can live with that!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 12-23-06, 05:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WillisB
I don't believe in annual goals. When I set them I set them too high and get mad when I fail. I just ride to ride and keep my diabetes under control.
That's okay too.
Old 12-23-06, 06:40 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
This was my 6th year of riding and each year I've added about 750 more miles than the year before. I was a month's worth of mileage ahead of my goal through this September but lack of motivation brought it back down to be on track the end of November. I've had to do the Blackberrry Cobbler centuries every Saturday this month to hit my goal. That wasn't the intent but just a byproduct of doing the rides. As a matter of fact I was able to pass my goal today.

End of year projection: 6500 miles with 18-100+ mile centuries and 22 metric centuries. And no serious accidents!!!!
Old 12-23-06, 11:48 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still need 60 miles to reach my goal of 5000. I should make that with no problem. No indoor riding for me, either.
Old 12-24-06, 05:56 AM

Bikes: Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goal #1 wake up sucking air!
Goal #2 be thankful for Goal #1
Goal#3 go out and turn the crank, and enjoy the ride!
Old 12-24-06, 06:10 AM

Bikes: Canyon Alu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made my goal this year. WE made our goal which was to ride the Alps to the Mediterranean and further to Corse and Sardegne.

@Digital Gee: I remember your first post here, I think one and a half years ago. Now you ride much more than I do. You might post two photos: One before starting then, the other after all these miles.
Old 12-24-06, 07:36 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
This is the third year I didn't ride as many miles as when I was unemployed.
Work and aging m-in-law interferred with much of my riding.
2003 road miles=8949 ---> unemployed
2004 road miles=3743, commuter miles=679 (got a job in Fall 2004)
2005 road miles=976, commuter miles=2229
2006 (thru 12/23/06) road miles=883, commuter miles=2220

I'm now 62 and starting January 2 I'm changing to a 6 hour work day. I'll be leaving work at 3 PM instread of 5 PM, so maybe I'll be able to get in a few road miles after work.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-24-06, 08:09 AM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
No real mileage goals were set, but I have over 8000 miles total (road + commuting). I guess the only unofficial goal that I had was to commute by bike every day and I managed to do that.
Old 12-24-06, 08:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A ride every other day for a whole year? I think that is an excellent accomplishment...maintaining ANY exercise at this consistency over a 12-month period is a challenge: life always seems to get in the way. Good job, you da' Man!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.