Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's always someone(thing) to humble you

I was feeling pretty good about making my 6000 mile goal for the second year in a row a few days ago. I'm not the fastest or the best hill climber, but I can ride a long way. But out on a ride today, I ran into one of my riding buddies, Pete. We chatted as we rode along and he said he was 20 miles from his goal and he had it planned out that he'd hit it as he pulled into his driveway. His wife, three daughters and mother would be waiting with champagne.

9000 stupid miles. And what's worse is that he is still employed! He commutes to work almost every day, but that's only 7 miles round trip. I know he takes long lunch hours and does a serious hill climb (59 times, he said) and often extends his ride home by "going the long way".

Anyway, I rode along with him, took a short cut to his house, took his picture as he hit 9000 at his driveway, shared in the champagne and have e-mailed him copies of all the pictures I took, including one I made it into a small poster, worthy of Lance after #7.

I'll get over it by tomorrow, but now I'm feeling a bit like a slacker. Mrs. Slim seems a bit proud of me for hitting 6000. I don't think I'll mention Pete to her.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all so relative. My 'cross the street neighbor has MS and faithfully rides his monster trike around the block 2 or 3 times daily even in the rain. His mileage is way lowerthan most riders I know, but.....

Another guy who joins us for lunch has cystic fibrosis. His once solid mileage has decreased along with his lung capacity down to just cruising the neighborhood.

Cycling for us nonprofessionals is so personal and goals so relative that humility is pointless. Pleasure and pride and a personal sense of accomplishment seem so much more a better focus.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    It's all so relative. My 'cross the street neighbor has MS and faithfully rides his monster trike around the block 2 or 3 times daily even in the rain. His mileage is way lowerthan most riders I know, but.....

Another guy who joins us for lunch has cystic fibrosis. His once solid mileage has decreased along with his lung capacity down to just cruising the neighborhood.

Cycling for us nonprofessionals is so personal and goals so relative that humility is pointless. Pleasure and pride and a personal sense of accomplishment seem so much more a better focus.
    +1

We all need to start from "0". That is the mileage that 90% of the USA rides.

Anything more than "0" is an accomplishment.

Then factor in your time available, other responsibilities in life, experience, riding conditions, special physical conditions and fitness. After factoring these in, for some, 1,000 miles is a greater accomplishment than another person's 10,000 miles.

Be proud of what you accomplish. Disregard what you don't.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-31-06 at 05:42 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain

It is, indeed, relative. My 5,000 annual miles seems like a lot to me, but lately I've been riding with a man who almost finished RAAM in 2005, and had over 24,000 miles that year. His serious accident in May kept him off the bike for 5 months, but he still had over 15,000 miles in 2006. He even works full time like I do!

But, there are also lots of supposedly serious club riders around here who don't get anywhere near my 5,000 miles. It's a good reminder of how individualized stuff like this is, and that the important things are our own challenges and goals, and the joy of riding.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't let it bother you. There is always a "faster ***!"

Think of the other 99.9% of the people who were born at the same time as you. How many of them are already dead? How many are already on walkers or ventilators or in nursing homes?

Just think how fortunate you are to have made your goal and be happy!

Or, you could just put out a "hit" on your buddy!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post. I can relate to your feelings exactly and continue to preach to myself to just appreciate what I've done. One of my cycling buddies does the Ultra rides and had over 12k this year.....plus he had a crash in October and was off the bike for almost 3 months.

In my case I still enjoy playing golf, so I guess I could have made the choice to not have played golf for 3-5 hours at a time and gotten in several thousand more miles. I'd rather view it as making the most of the time I have available.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My miles last year wouldn't even get an honorable mention compared to 6,000 miles. But, I lost 20 lbs (at least), and compared to the previous year, well, let say the increase was infinitive...

I resolved when I started riding to not compare myself to anyone - including me. I am never going to be Lance Armstrong - or even compete seriously. Not an issue. Some time ago it occured to me that I have accomplished more than I ever thought I would accomplish in my life. From now on, it is all bonus points.

Takes a lot of stress out life I can tell you...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, 6,000 is still way ahead of the pack, and I'll bet that Mrs. Slim appreciates all those things that you did for her during those 200 extra hours when Pete was out pedaling his bicycle to hit 9000. There is a lot to be said for balance.

Ya never know 'til ya try littledog's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some people cycling and running are surely an obsessive/compulsive or addictive behavior. Look at how most hospitals now run clinics for sports injuries. If you exercise to the point where you injuring your body and yet you still do it then is it any better healthwise than over eating or drinking too much ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feeling bad about only doing 6000 miles this year? How is this possible? i'm quite happy with 2000 this year. You need to let go of this 'race' you are in. Staying in shape is the goal after 50, not competing with the young ones. Relax, and smell the coffee. Beware of the fake hurry. bk

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that there is a point of diminishing returns, when it comes to hours spent exercising, but I wouldn't pretend to know what that point is for someone else. Therefore, I try hard to do enough to keep my weight down and my fitness level very high, but not compare or judge others too much.

Still, riding with someone who has done 24,000 miles in a year is pretty awe inspiring, and it's a natural thing to compare ourselves to others.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    +1

Great. I beat 90.1% of the USA in 2006!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littledog
    For some people cycling and running are surely an obsessive/compulsive or addictive behavior. Look at how most hospitals now run clinics for sports injuries. If you exercise to the point where you injuring your body and yet you still do it then is it any better healthwise than over eating or drinking too much ?
    I'm most definately obsessive/compulsive about my cycling addiction. I've logged 12,000 miles a year for 8 of the last 10 years, only missing that goal when I was out for serious injuries relating to impacts with solid objects (one fast moving, one not). I've trained my body to handle it and, at 51, I've just wrapped up the finest cycling season I've ever had with numerous PRs and race wins.

Personally, I don't think the clinics are full of obsessive/compulsives as much as they're full of people who, after years of being couch potatos or workaholics or whatever, decide all at once that they want to be an athlete again and then dive in the deep end before they're ready.
    Bob Chambers
    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts." T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
    Mrs. Slim seems a bit proud of me for hitting 6000.
    *YOU* should be proud of yourself too, Mojo. 6,000 miles is nothing to sneeze at. Like Dnvr pointed out, you're still in the minority of folks that can (or that bother to) ride more than just a few miles.

Take care,

Steve

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

Good points all, Dnvr.

Steve

sdr
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Nirvana S--Specialized Crosstrail Limited
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent
    It is, indeed, relative. My 5,000 annual miles seems like a lot to me, but lately I've been riding with a man who almost finished RAAM in 2005, and had over 24,000 miles that year. His serious accident in May kept him off the bike for 5 months, but he still had over 15,000 miles in 2006. He even works full time like I do!
    color me skeptical, but in order to ride 24K miles in one year it would be necessary to pedal in excess of 65 miles each and every one of the 365 days in that year. the 15K in 7 months (5 months off due to injury) is even more incredulous. using 30 days as an average month times 7 = 210 into 15000 = 71.4 per day.

and this guy works full time, too! simply amazing!
    “You must be the change that you wish to see in the world” Gandhi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr
    color me skeptical, but in order to ride 24K miles in one year it would be necessary to pedal in excess of 65 miles each and every one of the 365 days in that year. the 15K in 7 months (5 months off due to injury) is even more incredulous. using 30 days as an average month times 7 = 210 into 15000 = 71.4 per day.

and this guy works full time, too! simply amazing!
    There is a guy on Bikejournals.com who logged in 37,000+ miles in 2006.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

sdr
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a guy on Bikejournals.com who logged in 37,000+ miles in 2006.
    well, a guy ate 53 1/2 hot dogs in 12 minutes, too: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1834236

did he enjoy them? probably not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other people seldom humble me as I seldom do compairsons. I also don't do much quantifying; I just ride.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather try to eat the 53 hot dogs. At least the pain would be over in a few hours.

sdr
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I'd rather try to eat the 53 hot dogs. At least the pain would be over in a few hours.
    ah! but therein lies the rub. try eating 53 hot dogs 365 days in a row.

*belch*

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm completely happy with the 2972 + miles I have for 2006 as compared to the 0 the year before.
    Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Jack aka:makeitso

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr
    ah! but therein lies the rub. try eating 53 hot dogs 365 days in a row.

*belch*
    Doing either would kill me long before I made it through 365 days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Great. I beat 90.1% of the USA in 2006!
    Me too, me too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

Then factor in your time available, other responsibilities in life, experience, riding conditions, special physical conditions and fitness. After factoring these in, for some, 1,000 miles is a greater accomplishment than another person's 10,000 miles.

Probably the first "best post" of the new year.

Well stated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast