2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where does my logic break down?

I could carry a cell phone in my saddlebag,

...or...

I could carry a bike pump, some inner tubes, a few patches, perhaps some CO2, and a few tools.

Given that I ride exclusively in the city, I opt for the cell phone. There are taxis everywhere. I'm not a weight weenie -- I would just rather fix a flat in the comfort of my own living room. So what's the flaw in my logic, if any?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is always a cab nearby, I see your logic except for one thing, a puncture will always end your ride.
    By carrying a spare tube, patch kit, tire levers and pump or co2, you decide when to end the ride.

Makes sense to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    So what's the flaw in my logic, if any?
    I'm a firm believer in riding the way you want to ride, and if fixing a flat out on the road doesn't appeal to you, and you have alternatives, then go with that. One thing you can to is use tire liners to help minmize flats. I've been using these...

http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/tires_tubes/10088.html

...and they are very light. So far no flats...although it will take a full year to get a real sense of their effectiveness.

There are a few drawbacks to not carrying flat-fix gear. One is, as Louie mentioned, you might not want to shut down your ride for the day. The other is that you may HAVE to fix a flat for some unimagined reason...maybe you can't get a cab in a reasonable amount of time or your cell is down, or whatever. The third is you can't help anyone else who's in a jam that you may encounter...including incredibly attractive single women. The first time you pass that waitress you saw at Hooters in Pacific Beach the day before -- the one who couldn't take her eyes off you -- and she's got a flat and asks for your help, and you come up goose eggs...all I can say is, that's going to be one hell of a thread the next day in BF!

But, I say go with feels right to you.
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 01-04-07 at 01:57 AM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were you a Boy Scout?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real question, Gary, is to always have protection, or not to have protection? Will a cell phone give you enough protection? I don't think so! ................................................................................................ There they are, all shiny, bright and polished, just waiting to burst from the apartment stable, but you rein them in and keep them racked to the wall? Now that's a sorry state! Go with the best protection possible! Go prepared! Go ready! You never know what might come your way in S. Diego. We are talking tires and tubes, right?
    (edited for more appropriate content LOL)
    Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 01-03-07 at 05:48 AM.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pastorbob!

It must have something to do with the way BF is making us post!

East Hill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,

Will cabs carry your bike?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It generally takes less than 10 mins to replace a tube. Unless of course it's one of those things the LBS still has to do.......

I carry cell phone and spare stuff. I can fit it all my stuff in a mini saddle bag: Cell phone, 1 spare tube, 2 tire levers, 1 or 2 CO2 cartridges, adaptor and patches.

Or maybe you're using tubulars?????

Oh I get it, it's like walking on the beach with a puppy-attracts all the females. Pushing a bike attracts females in convertibles looking to help.........Good move!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG
    "Where does my logic break down?"
    You have logic?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-03-07 at 09:23 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always carry at least a pump (generally full-sized frame-fit), a spare innertube, a patch kit, and, on the road bikes, tire levers. I can repair a puncture and be back on the road in 10 minutes ... flat.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you call a cab, they will throw the bike in the trunk, and you can expect your bike to get scratched up. Better to take a pump, levers, and a patch kit.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your logic fails because you clearly need a bigger saddlebag! Then you could carry the phone for true emergencies, and fix a flat on the road as well. Somehow, in my own admittedly feeble mind, the thought of calling for a ride because I had a flat is distasteful to say the least. Part of cycling is freedom, and self reliance to me. Taxi's, we don't got no taxi's. we don't need no stinking taxi's!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

dck
    My Bikes
    '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '74 Peugeot UO18, '81 Fuji S12-S Mixte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A cellphone is fine, just don't forget the wallet also if you want to call a cab.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    ...or...
    There's the flaw in your logic.

Either one can provide different forms of benefit. Since you aren't a weight weenie, why not have both?

Why patch a flat on the road? Well, as long as you are rich and have time on your hands, Call a cab and then wait for 15-30 minutes for it. That's more than ample time to have patched the flat, and then you get to pay a lot of money to get you and your bike home; more than the cost of a new tube. And as another poster said, your ride is over. Since you spent all your money and haven't gotten all your exercise, a slice of pie is very unlikely.

But a cell phone is good. Should a spoke break and your wheel do a minor taco, it would be great to have a ride back so you don't destroy the wheel by riding, that is if the bike is still rideable. Or if you see two SUVs collide with each other and roll into a canyon, then you can call 911 and be the hero.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 01-03-07 at 10:45 AM.

AJC
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Veloce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    think outside the box, gary

would a girl with a convertible rather see:

a. a rider sitting on a curb, on the phone, with his bike laying on the sidewalk, most likely calling his wife

...or....

b. a rider bent over fixing a flat with his tight ass and calf muscles glistening in the late afternoon sun?

doesn't it make you wanna go...hmmmm?

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    +1 on the carrying both.
    The flaw in the logic is in only allowing an either/or answer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, Grasshopper, you make the mistake of thinking that there is only one true path. There are many ways to complete your travel, each with it's own rewards and risks. To be one with the bike you must be in communion with the bike to know what the bike wants. Does your bike like exposing it's inner self to others who may be watching as you remove parts? Does your bike like to ride in a taxi? It is at the spot when you are in harmony with your needs and the bike's need that you transcend logic and it no longer is of concern.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie

The first time you pass that waitress you saw at Hooters in Pacific Beach the day before -- the one who couldn't take her eyes off you .
    There is no logic here......Gary is talking about fixing FLATS, not HOOTERS. Hooters don't need fixing. Of course, in some cases, hooters are flats that have already been "fixed".

Personally, I've always liked that feeling (far from reality) of being self-contained and able to get back in on my own. Most of us have come in proudly using a piece of road trash for a tire boot or whatever. Fixing flats, while it detracts from the rhythm of your ride is a "time honored" cyclist thing. Besides, the more of them you fix, the less thought and time they take. More besides, sometimes fixing a flat is an enforced break that let's me really look at my surroundings and stand there being a part of things. Of course, when your friends wave goodbye with a "So long, dude"-- not so good.

I carry a patch kit and a few hex wrenches, a piece of tube for a boot, and a coupla handiwipes among the other junk in my bag.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its not that I object to either/or, in fact I like the cell phone help call, especially when I'm cold and wet. What I fear is being far enough into the woods that the cell phone says "no service-----fix your own or walk"

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The middle ground is to take your cell phone, a small CO2 inflator, a couple of tire levers, and a little pack of patches. All combined this would take very little space and add little weight. This is what I do. I haven't gotten around to carrying a larger pump or spare tubes yet.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Ah, Grasshopper, you make the mistake of thinking that there is only one true path. There are many ways to complete your travel, each with it's own rewards and risks. To be one with the bike you must be in communion with the bike to know what the bike wants. Does your bike like exposing it's inner self to others who may be watching as you remove parts? Does your bike like to ride in a taxi? It is at the spot when you are in harmony with your needs and the bike's need that you transcend logic and it no longer is of concern.
    WOW!
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, basically, the argument is that I should carry the materials and be eager to change any flats, because that makes me "one" with the bike, and keeps a time-honored tradition going?

With that logic, shouldn't I drive a standard shift automobile, changing my own spark plugs when they need it, and check the oil with every fill-up. I should probably throw away my road side assistance coverage, as well, right?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No the arguement is to be able to deal with common situations that may arise. For the small cost of carrying a pump, spare tube and patch kit, you will be able to continue riding if you get a flat. You can still call for a ride home if you wish, but you can't use a phone to fix a flat.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When there is a cell tower or network outage, when your battery dies, when there is no answer, when you are exposed to bad weather, when you are in an area where hanging around waiting for a ride isn't even all that good of an idea....

Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head that I have experienced in my city riding.

Just keep at it with your approach and I'll guarantee you that you will discover others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    The third is you can't help anyone else who's in a jam that you may encounter...including incredibly attractive single women. The first time you pass that waitress you saw at Hooters in Pacific Beach the day before -- the one who couldn't take her eyes off you -- and she's got a flat and asks for your help, and you come up goose eggs...all I can say is, that's going to be one hell of a thread the next day in BF!
    But don't forget, that Hooters waitress may be the daughter of a friend, a person you used to carry in one arm when they were a baby. I know a Hooters waitress in Dallas like that. Certainly you'd help a friend's daughter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast