Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old habits die hard...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old habits die hard...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-07, 10:40 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old habits die hard...

I just brought The Diego home yesterday. Haven't really ridden it yet, except around the block. Why am I checking Craigslist today?

Oh that's right -- sometimes people sell saddle bags, parts, bike stands, etc. Phew! I have rationale! I have lift-off!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-10-07, 11:50 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You get "lift-off" from browsing Craigslist?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-10-07, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that to give DG a break from a lot of wishywashy ruminaflacations(sp) fluxuations about what to buy for his new ride"The Diego" we as fellow Fifty Plussers should help him out by coming up with a list of add-ons and proper upgrades for him to be looking for as he goes through his daily sojourns of life.First thing on your list to look for should be a set of red and silver streamers for the handle bars,just to give The Diego the appropriate Fred look! (Now if I knew how I would place a smilely thing here but I don't so consider it placed.)

Last edited by overthehillmedi; 02-10-07 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-10-07, 05:29 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It could be worse. You could be an ebay junkie like me.......
Old 02-10-07, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Considering the time many of us spend thinking about cycling, posting and reading about cycling, daydreaming during work hours about cycling, puttering in the garage over cycling, staring with our noses pressed against the monitor screen at cycling websites, bike, and parts retailers sites, and, in some of your cases, downloading and data basing Garmin info, slowing down to check out cyclists whom we pass while driving anywhere including down to the LBS---- and, oh yeah, sometimes we actually go cycling.............

..........well, it seems a rather predictable and piddling thing that DG should come in the door from his latest bike purchase, boot up, and catch up on Craig's List.....something new might have been listed in the last hour or so. Maybe that Technomic stem?
Old 02-10-07, 05:41 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I just brought The Diego home yesterday.
At first glance, I thought you bought the house The Diego's lived in!

Anyway, I think you should get an Airzound to let everyone know your there!
Old 02-10-07, 05:42 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"A little window shopping never hurt anyone"....That's what I said this morning before my wife and I bought a new set of dining room chairs. Well, I reckon she deserves that and a whole lot more.
Old 02-10-07, 05:59 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
Considering the time many of us spend thinking about cycling, posting and reading about cycling, daydreaming during work hours about cycling, puttering in the garage over cycling, staring with our noses pressed against the monitor screen at cycling websites, bike, and parts retailers sites, and, in some of your cases, downloading and data basing Garmin info, slowing down to check out cyclists whom we pass while driving anywhere including down to the LBS---- and, oh yeah, sometimes we actually go cycling.............

..........well, it seems a rather predictable and piddling thing that DG should come in the door from his latest bike purchase, boot up, and catch up on Craig's List.....something new might have been listed in the last hour or so. Maybe that Technomic stem?
Yes, and look what just popped up. and it's blue!

Think I should call?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-10-07, 06:04 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Speaking of the Diegos. I visited an LBS that I hadn't been to in years. Just 12 miles away, which makes it the 2nd closest to my house, in a small town. The shop was an odd assortment of new bikes, old bikes, bikes in for repair, and parts. Definitely the least showy showroom I've seen in a long time. The owner was a friendly guy, which is almost always true for small town bike shops.

I browsed around for a while, thinking I might buy something, but couldn't find anything that jumped out at me. Then I came upon a message board that he had up. Just about everything on the board was about biking. But right in the middle of the board was an old, yellowing picture of Jack Webb with large letters below it proclaiming "Just the Facts". I couldn't believe it. Could the owner be Webb Diego? Or at least a Diego sympathizer?

I'm still laughing about it 2 hours later.

Of all the bike shops in the world, I walked into the one with a 30 year old picture of Jack Webb hanging on the wall.
Old 02-10-07, 06:05 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$2400?

That's about what you would normally pay for 18 bikes!
Old 02-10-07, 07:35 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i regularly scan the Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago craigslists.

I found an oddity on today's Chicago listing ... a "brand new" claimed to be never used 1972 Schwinn Suburban. They want $425. I guess a never-used 35 year old bike might command a premium price.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bik/276523106.html

No interest from me - I don't need a $425 ornament.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-10-07, 07:51 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My wife opened the check for my side job - $3,800 this afternoon. A few minutes later she exclaims louldly - Hey you spent another $240 on your bike stuff! Can't you control yourself? Sheesh - can't even skip 10% to feed my habit.
Of course she hasn't seen the other $300 or so in my first bike build - yet!
Old 02-10-07, 11:00 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's your next target, DG

https://cgi.ebay.com/Clown-Bike-Red-H...QQcmdZViewItem