Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't stay out of the Kitchen

Thank goodness I'm back at work. I was at home for a week over the holidays. Every time I'd walk through the kitchen I'd grab a "seasonal snack" that was sitting around on the kitchen counter. I felt like a bear coming out of hiberation and couldn't get enough to eat. If I stayed at home full-time I'd probably put back on the 50 pounds I've lost........

Oh well, I know it will just take a few more miles of huffing, puffing and sweating to get rid those calories!!

I sure hope noone else is struggling with a strong appetite like me.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am, and it seems to have been exacerbated by starting to take a Thyroid medication. I cannot seem to stop eating!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All that food available was Terrible- I finished up eating a great deal more than I normally do and probably completely wrong calorific value- and between the 23rd and the 29th- I put on a lot of weight- 4 lbs. Still one good ride and it went- but there is still a lot of food in the Cupboards- unopened that may go to waste before it can get eaten. Might be doing a couple of extra rides in the next couple of weeks- just so the food does not go to waste.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love cookies and Christmas cookies are a seasonal favorite. As is peppermint bark, rum cake, upside down German chocolate cake, candied pecans, spicy almonds, Hershey kisses in cherry cordial & mint flavor.

And the 15 lbs of fresh shrimp my mother brought up from the coast

And the 4 dozen homemade tamales

And...and...and...

You name it, we've had it this season. I'm just pushing harder on the bike and helping to get all that good food eaten so it doesn't go to waste...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took all the candy, cookies and cakes to work today. Now I just need to stay out of the grocery stores until the 75-percent-off Christmas candy is gone....

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a bed and a bath in my kitchen.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The holidays have meant and extra 5 lbs. for me. Going to work doesn't help, various suppliers etc. dropped off all sorts of goodies. As a matter of fact I believe I gained more weight at the office than at home over the holidays.
    One nice thing about being home between Christmas and New Year was being able to ride almost every day. Another plus is that this first week back to work has been short and also fairly warm. This morning when I went out at 5:20 it was already almost 50 degrees. I know there is cold weather out there coming our way so I take advantage of the nice conditions while I can.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got less discipline in situations like this than I want. Hence, we give away most of the holiday temptations rather than have them sit around the house. I know that on Christmas day when my mother-in-law brought one of her incredible cheesecakes to dinner, I could hear it calling to me no matter where I was in the house. As painful as it was, as soon as she left the next day, I started cutting up the remainder of the cheesecake to give to my neighbors. (I suspect some of them thought I was the devil himself... they too were fighting the same battle. But, the cheesecake was so good they all ate it!) I know I've had to increase my time on the bike and doing other exercises to get back to where I was. Fortunately, I've already made it to that point, and the temptations are gone!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Food is a powerful addiction.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe,

I'm right there with you, buddy. I gained about 7 from Thanksgiving to now. Hurt my knee running on the Texas A&M (rough!) cross-country course about two months ago and can't run. Only swimming and biking now and can't get those done every day.

My wife and sister are great cooks, and it shows on me after the holidays.

But, I am getting down to 188 if it kills me! (Only 28 pounds to go!)

Tyson

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TysonB
    jppe,

I'm right there with you, buddy. I gained about 7 from Thanksgiving to now. Hurt my knee running on the Texas A&M (rough!) cross-country course about two months ago and can't run. Only swimming and biking now and can't get those done every day.

My wife and sister are great cooks, and it shows on me after the holidays.

But, I am getting down to 188 if it kills me! (Only 28 pounds to go!)

Tyson
    Good luck with your quest on the weight loss!! I guess those sorts of things just give us all something to shoot for. Cross country courses........my kids have had a number of injuries the past few years--mostly stress fractures they have had to deal with.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I noticed in the past is if I start eating sweets, it doesn't stop. I find if I eat something sweet and then ride the bike, not an issue. I suspect it is a blood sugar thing that makes my blood sugar like a yo-yo. It shoots up first, and then drops like a stone. Then, because my brain doesn't have enough sugar, it will eat ANYTHING. Repeat cycle, add weight.

Now a days, I make sure that I am very careful around anything sweet. And because of that, I lose weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is Italian, her passion is cooking. She is well known for desserts as well as all the fancy pasta dishes.

Believe me, it's tough keeping the weight off.

Ol' Paint
    My Bikes
    90s(?)Bianchi Advantage, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix, 80s(?) Raleigh Gran Sport mixte, '95 Schwinn Clear Creek, '88(?) Fuji, '69 Schwinn Flyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    Food is a powerful addiction.
    Complete withdrawal will kill ya.
    My boss brought large bowls of M&Ms and Hershey's Kisses to work. After porking on 10lbs since last Halloween, I have learned a new definition of "resistance training".
    "In my cathedral,
    colored glass holds no candle to
    sunlight through trees."
    -- Leon Briggs

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ticwanos
    Complete withdrawal will kill ya.
    My boss brought large bowls of M&Ms and Hershey's Kisses to work. After porking on 10lbs since last Halloween, I have learned a new definition of "resistance training".
    To me, M&Ms are the new crack.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    To me, M&Ms are the new crack.
    Plain or Peanut??

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Plain or Peanut??
    Peanut, of course.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Peanut, of course.
    Peanut M&M's and beer.......yummmm

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am seriously addictted to sweets. I can hear a chocolate chip cookie a mile away begging for me to eat it!
    One thing that works for me. If I eat some dry roasted peanuts, I don't crave sweets anymore.... at least for awhile. At least peanuts are a little better for ya. Well, that is if you don't eat too many....
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

On the road again
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, ay least I have some company. I do over did it during the holidays in the eating department. I have felt it a lot on my rides, especially going up hills; no dancing on the pedals here. I have my annual physical in 24 days so am now doing all I can to get back at least to the weight I was this summer. Good news is the unseasonally warm weather has made it easier to get out for longer rides. Best of luck to all in shedding that holiday cheer. Just remember that one excuse for putting on a little more weight during the winter is in case you get sick you have the calories, ha!
    "We're high with expectation on the edge of the unknown."

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eggnog, fudge, cake, ice cream, etc. My wife is a pusher. I am weak. I'd have taken less damage but a sinus infection, cold, ear infection, and change in job location sidelined me for a month. Oh, 4oz of eggnog is 200 calories and it doesn't go down without a shot of rum.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about honey balls...slightly larger than a marble, coated in honey, and usually piled together in the shape of a pyramid. They're usually found in Italian bakeries during the holiday's.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gald to see I'm not alone in my holiday eating woes. I've packed on about 7lbs since the beginning of Nov. I work in a pretty good sized office, and it seems everyone is either leaving snacks (cookies, cake, candy) in the lunchroom or they all have bowls of the stuff at their desks. And I've got this thing about chocolate....

C'mon summer!

Steve

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garret's carmel corn from Chicago. Try their mix of carmel corn, cheese corn, butter corn. Full of calories but oh so delicious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also comforted....

I suppose it's slightly perverse, but I'm also rather stunned and comforted by other's reports of Holiday weight gain. I thought I was alone.

During the peak of the summer season, I was doing 150 miles a week and eating like bird. At one point I bottomed out at 169. I used to weigh 230. Since roughly Halloween, I've plumped up to a distressing 190!

Best of luck to us all in re-shedding the pounds!
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast