Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garmin 305 is here!

New toy in for the holidays!!!

I just received the Garmin 305 with HR and Cadence! Even though I haven't even taken it out for it's maiden voyage I must say I'm more impressed than I'd thought I'd be with its capabilities. I've already charged it up and set up the displays and entered the customized information for my profiles.

The setup is very easy and intuitive and there are an endless number of options for the display. It appears you can have up to 8 fields of data on the display at a time with a very long pick list of various items to choose from. You can program up to 3 different bikes which fits my needs perfectly.

The displays I'm starting with are:
    Bike 1-The bike I do my rides around my house on will be set up with the HR, Cadence, Speed, Distance, Time of Day and Time of Ride-pretty basic stuff.
    Bike 2-The same data for the bike I use in the mountains plus I'm going to add elevation and grade.
    Bike 3-I have not completely decided how to set up the Time Trial bike but will probably have cadence, speed, HR, distance and then some information around laps.

I'll have wireless cadence sensors mounted for all 3 bikes so I'll just need to move the monitor from bike to bike.

If you don't care for the information this thing is not for you. If you like data all I can say is Oh My........I'm already drooling just thinking about downloading the ride profiles and analyzing the charts!!!!

Any observations from other owners that already have some experience with this thing??
    Last edited by jppe; 01-03-07 at 05:02 PM.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a "owner" yet, I ordered mine yesterday, hope to get it real soon! I share your excitment!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Ain't Easy Being Cheesy CheeseLouise's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Comp :)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    If you like data all I can say is Oh My........I'm already drooling just thinking about downloading the ride profiles and analyzing the charts!!!!

Any observations from other owners that already have some experience with this thing??
    Hmmm, let me see, my observations in order of "Drool factor"

Bike
    Garmin
    Sex
    Bike Forums

no.....

Sex
    Garmin
    Bike
    Bike Forums

no....

Garmin
    Sex
    Bike Forums
    Bike

Doh...I just can't decide which has the higher "drool factor"

Ah heck, I'm a woman I am not suppose to be able to make up my mind LOL!

I do love my Garmin 305 though
    "Bike First"
    "Work Later"

2006 Specialized Ruby Comp
    www.bikenaked.net

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to prioritize. Have sex with your Garmin on bike forums while fantasizing about bikes.

You'll need to excuse me for a second.

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe, I'm seriously jealous. After you were talking about it in another thread, decided I needed to have one. That was yesterday. This morning my wife says she's decided to have her partial replaced with an implant. I just saw the 305 fly out the window.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseLouise

Bike
    Garmin
    Sex
    Bike Forums

no.....

Sex
    Garmin
    Bike
    Bike Forums

no....

Garmin
    Sex
    Bike Forums
    Bike

Aren't women supposed to excel at multitasking?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great device. I will have to look into getting one. I may have to purchase it myself as Christmas is just past and my birthday is not until July!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p8rider
    Sounds like a great device. I will have to look into getting one. I may have to purchase it myself as Christmas is just past and my birthday is not until July!
    Valentine's Day?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Valentine's Day?
    Excellent thought Dfox!!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One down side to this device may be that. Whereas I am certain the grades I have been riding up are all at least 10% this device may determine that they are actually 2%. Electronics!, there is always a glitch causing in-accurate data!! lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm waiting for the ideal combination electronic device before I take the plunge. I want a cell phone/GPS system/8 megapixel camera/PDA combination that's no larger than a pack of cigarettes.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried my Garmin 305 out today - but not bicycling, walking.

The streets here are absolutely solid rutted sheet ice at melting point - difficult to stand. About 1 mile of my walk is on these streets. No way one oculd bicycle.

Anywa, I used the Garmin 305 to measure my distaance, speed (very slow) altitude, etc. It was fun. Sometime today I will download to the software and see what all that is about.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you carry the Garmin unit? I am curious about how it cold be used as a hiking unit, as well as for cycling.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    How did you carry the Garmin unit? I am curious about how it cold be used as a hiking unit, as well as for cycling.
    I had a jacket with a pocket on the front. It was in the pocket.

My Bikes
    Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseLouise

Bike
    Garmin
    Sex
    Bike Forums

no.....

Sex
    Garmin
    Bike
    Bike Forums

no....

Garmin
    Sex
    Bike Forums
    Bike

"Drool factor" thats easy-sex, the other three will come when the time permits.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman
    jppe, I'm seriously jealous. After you were talking about it in another thread, decided I needed to have one. That was yesterday. This morning my wife says she's decided to have her partial replaced with an implant. I just saw the 305 fly out the window.
    Get a Forerunner 301 from e-bay (around $150). It seems to me it does much the same as the 305, but without cadence and is cheaper. Tie it to Sportstrack on your PC and you'll have so much info you won't know what to do

My Bikes
    '73 Frejus TdF
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a Forerunner 301 from e-bay (around $150). It seems to me it does much the same as the 305, but without cadence and is cheaper. Tie it to Sportstrack on your PC and you'll have so much info you won't know what to do
    I believe one of the differences between the Garmin Edge 305 and Forerunner 301 is the altitude measurement. The Garmin Edge 305 uses a barometric pressure measurement to more accurately determine altitude (and therefore, grade). The Garmin Forerunner 301 (like the Garmin Forerunner 201) uses the GPS signal for altitude. I have both an Edge 305 and a Forerunner 201 and the Edge 305 is significantly better.
    David

'73 Frejus TdF
    '06 Rodriguez Sport (Veloce)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsfan
    I believe one of the differences between the Garmin Edge 305 and Forerunner 301 is the altitude measurement. The Garmin Edge 305 uses a barometric pressure measurement to more accurately determine altitude (and therefore, grade). The Garmin Forerunner 301 (like the Garmin Forerunner 201) uses the GPS signal for altitude. I have both an Edge 305 and a Forerunner 201 and the Edge 305 is significantly better.
    WOW! I would have guessed that as long as you had 3 satalites you would be better off using GPS tha pressure. How do you calibrate it for different weather conditions?

Joe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeprim
    WOW! I would have guessed that as long as you had 3 satalites you would be better off using GPS tha pressure. How do you calibrate it for different weather conditions?

Joe
    It uses both the GPS and barometric pressure

http://blog.motionbased.com/2005/08/index.html

Garmin GPS units with barometric altimeters (eTrex Vista, Geko 301 and now the Edge 305) auto-calibrate the altitude using the best of both technologies to make sure your altitude is as accurate as possible. The Edge 305 uses this combination of altitude sensors to provide cumulative elevation gain on the device, much like MotionBased does with our Dashboard Elevation view corrected with MB Gravity.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeprim

Joe
    FWIW I can tell you that on the 201, which uses GPS for altitude, when you graph a climb, the altitude jumps around a bunch. Okay for seeing a profile but not really reliable for determining max grade etc. Heck you can just stand still with it in your hand and the alt goes up and down all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artmo
    The cadence sensor for the 305 also has a wheel sensor for the times when you lose the GPS signal.

Quote Originally Posted by jppe

The displays I'm starting with are:
    Bike 1-The bike I do my rides around my house on will be set up with the HR, Cadence, Speed, Distance, Time of Day and Time of Ride-pretty basic stuff.
    Bike 2-The same data for the bike I use in the mountains plus I'm going to add elevation and grade.
    Bike 3-I have not completely decided how to set up the Time Trial bike but will probably have cadence, speed, HR, distance and then some information around laps.
    On the 305 the two different bike display screens are not related to the setup of a particular bike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    I tried my Garmin 305 out today - but not bicycling, walking.

The streets here are absolutely solid rutted sheet ice at melting point - difficult to stand. About 1 mile of my walk is on these streets. No way one oculd bicycle.

Anywa, I used the Garmin 305 to measure my distaance, speed (very slow) altitude, etc. It was fun. Sometime today I will download to the software and see what all that is about.
    Here is a picture of the rutted icy slick roads yesterday. It is snowing again today. You can hardly stand up, even with good shoes. I'm getting tired of this.

The roads have been plowed and sanded, but it gets to about 50F in the daytime, and then freezes again. The sand sinks down.