Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody else like spandex/lycra?

Won't have time to do a road ride today. So, did a session on the trainer this morning. Wife sees me and says, "Why are you wearing your cycling shorts and jersey on the trainer?" I say, "Because they are comfortable." It was then that it hit me, I actually like spandex (or is it really Lycra?). I've always been curious about those who say they ride regular shorts, jeans, sweat pants, etc. Never completely understood why someone would want to do that. I'm not saying they shouldn't ride wearing what they want; I just don't get it. And, maybe I'm out of the norm here, but the feel of putting on my cycling shorts and form fitting jersey is a pleasurable one. Truth be told, when the cooler weather hits and I start wearing tights and skin tight base layers, I like that too.... it may be the only thing I like about cooler weather.

I've also noticed (casual observation only) that folks part 40 to 45 seem to wear spandex/lycra a bit less. Is this a body image thing?

So, what's your view on spandex/lycra? Am I just living with a fetish that I'm in denial about?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's summer here. It topped 40C here today. When I'm on my trainer, I wear my ... ahem ... undies ... oh, and my cycling shoes. I'm quite sure it's a wonderful sight. Probably scares the neighbourhood cats ... because I leave the front door open (probably good for scaring late night evangelists too ) But it's cool. I'm one of those that can have sweat dripping off his nose in the middle of winter (we don't get snow here so adjust your season to suit).

Nope, no lycra for me. When you're my shape and have a modicum of care for those who have to view you, you do NOT wear lycra - there are some bulges that are best left un-noticed (and I don't mean THOSE bulges).

Mind you, I can't wear shy shorts either ... because shy shorts in my size are listed in all the catelogues (also called 'cattledogs' here) but even when ordered seem to be constructed out of unobtanium - I have yet to find an article of said clothing in the shops that will come past my thighs. Seriously. Unless you are young and very skinny, you can't buy cycling clothes off the hook in good old Adelaide. My son, who is both young and disgustingly fit wears the largest size readily available.

So, it's cotton shirts and loose fitting runner's shorts for me ... with appropriately and very carefully chosen (for lack of seam) undies for me. Which works nicely until about the half hour mark ...

Be proud of your padded knickers and skin hugging lycra. Believe me, a bottom that bears more than a passing resemblance to saddle leather is not only painful to achieve, it ain't something to brag about.

Richard
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rule of thumb for those 50+ here is to wear spandex is to scare kids...especially if its tight enough to not only reveal your sex, but your religion as well

its denim/cotton for me!

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a nice compromise, Pearl Izumi makes loose-fitting tights (Is that an oxymoron?), which also have pockets. They're called "Tokyo Tights," and you can almost get away with them as regular pants. As someone said, "They don't make you look like a superhero on vacation." And they're really comfy. If you want padding, you've gotta wear your bike shorts underneath, but I often just wear them when lounging around the house.

More here: http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...color_code=021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    I've always been curious about those who say they ride regular shorts, jeans, sweat pants, etc. Never completely understood why someone would want to do that. I'm not saying they shouldn't ride wearing what they want; I just don't get it. And, maybe I'm out of the norm here, but the feel of putting on my cycling shorts and form fitting jersey is a pleasurable one. Truth be told, when the cooler weather hits and I start wearing tights and skin tight base layers, I like that too.... it may be the only thing I like about cooler weather.

I've also noticed (casual observation only) that folks part 40 to 45 seem to wear spandex/lycra a bit less. Is this a body image thing?

So, what's your view on spandex/lycra? Am I just living with a fetish that I'm in denial about?
    I guess I've always thought of cycling as transportation and never as a sport. Why would anyone want to have to put on a "car suit" for a trip to work or the store? Who would bother to drive then?

I did wear tights (clearly not Lycra, as it was over 40 years ago) while on the wrestling team. I really enjoyed the feel of them and the sensations of suiting up. As with cycling gear, they served a practical function -- preventing skinned knees during a bout in this case. It made me feel like a knight putting on armor, and it was always a rush to walk out of the locker room and do a "thumbs up" to the spectators.

Years later, in grad school, I got to relive those "knight in armor" fantasies while working as a research diver. It was even more medieval, as there were a couple of tenders to help me suit and unsuit. Additionally, the gear was heavy enough that it was hard to walk. On the other hand, the wrestling uniform really felt good, much better than a heavy neoprene dive suit, which got quite awful after eight hours. Putting on a parachute before flying aerobatics is as close as I come now and it is not nearly the same. I wish I could recapture the experience. I envy you for it.

So yeah, people have good reasons for not wearing the stuff, but I can appreciate why people like to wear specialized, odd gear, and it's not a fetish. Thanks for bringing back some great memories. It all shows that bikes really are time machines and that their domain is not limited to cycling.

Paul

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say, "Because they are comfortable."

Since attempting to become a regular cycle commuter to work, my biggest issue has been seat comfort / 'adjustment' of body parts / finding the right combo.

I've tried:

1) just getting on the bike in regular teaching clothes (Dockers, dress shirt, lace-up leather shoes) and riding in

2) wearing Lycra cycling shorts to ride in & taking change of clothes to don in the privacy of my office

3) wearing Lycra cycling shorts UNDER my work pants then changing in my office

# 1 is least comfortable, # 2 is most comfortable (but also embarassing to walk into the college), # 3 seems to be a reasonable compromise but the jury's still out on that one.

Given a choice, I always wear cycling lycra shorts or tights simply because it is a comfort issue for me: fewer 'adjustments' and after a mile or two I don't think about my seat comfort any more & just focus on the ride.

I'm wondering if a Brooks B17 might solve my need for lycra as a commuter but haven't been convinced that I can scoot the seat back far enough for comfort.

So, no, I don't think wearing your riding shorts on the trainer is strange at all...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    As a nice compromise, Pearl Izumi makes loose-fitting tights (Is that an oxymoron?), which also have pockets. They're called "Tokyo Tights," and you can almost get away with them as regular pants. As someone said, "They don't make you look like a superhero on vacation." And they're really comfy. If you want padding, you've gotta wear your bike shorts underneath, but I often just wear them when lounging around the house.

More here: http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...color_code=021
    YEAH!

BLACKBERRY IS BACK

WELCOME BACK!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear the correct garments for the sport. I ride racing bikes, I wear racing clothes.

I'll admit I do get a chuckle out of seeing guys on fast bikes wearing sweats or gym shorts. Don't know why they do it, perhaps it's a body image thing as you suggest. Many times I see men wearing bike shorts under cargo or bermuda shorts. That suggests they're uncomfortable with the look.

My attitude is simple - you get the most out of what you're doing if you use the proper equipment. No spandex fetish here, just common sense.

My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey--how 'bout this: make your own comfy knickers for less than a buck: http://bluecollarmtb.com/2004/12/20/...-own-knickers/

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like when my wife wears them - and she isn't leaving the house with them on!

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me, I go with comfort. That is to say, I wear bike shorts while I am on my bike, road or trainer. I may wear a tee shirt, but usually wear a jersey because I like having the rear pockets. On my trainer I use the rear pockets for the TV remote and my I-POD.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think of lycra as the new stuff. I started riding for sport in the days of wool chamois lined shorts. Lycra was a huge improvement when it came along. And yes, I wear it on both my commute and weekend rides.

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often wear a T-shirt with bike shorts when on the trainer. For actual rides I always wear a full cycling specific outfit. Personal preference, comfort and convenience of pockets, etc are the reasons I do so. Having not what would generally be perceived as a "positive body image" consideraton for what others think does not play a part at all.

Additionally, I do not choose to risk sores, rashes, abrasions or whatever, which might interfere with future rides. Wearing the "correct" clothing seem to help prevent these calamities.
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back Bberry!!! Good to see you joining us again!!

I'm in the group of using the "technical" clothing for riding as well.....just seems to work better for me and I've probably tried everything over time.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For us recreational riders, wearing lycra/spandex just doesn't do much for you. It isn't necessary when poking along doing 10-12 mph on a hybrid bike. In fact, it can look kinda silly in that scenario. Provoking such comments from other bikers whizzing past as, "Can you stop blocking so much of the road, Lance"

I'll add that nearly all of the "gray haired riders" that do whiz past me, are wearing lycra/spandex (d*mn them!).

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly don't have the figure for it but I do find that wearing bibs and a cycling jersey is more comfortable for me than other attire. I like the fact that there is nothing blowing around or getting in the way of my pedaling and having the extra pockets on the jersey are handly. I always get full zip or 3/4 zip jerseys so I can zip down and cool off a bit when it is hot. Now I agree with Tom if I was riding a cruiser or going 8mph I would probably feel silly if I wore my cycling outfit so I would go with shorts and tee. It may also depend on what the cycling community is like where you live. Where I am at everyone is wearing their club kit or some type of cycling attire. Full pro team kit is somewhat unusual and unless you got the go for the show you may get a few looks.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried cycling in normal clothes and even for a trip to the town it is not comfortable. Have to do it occasionally but That is another matter. Most of my cycling clothing is good quality and very little of it comes from other sports. However- I have a top coat that is lighweight- waterproof and breathable and this occasionally get utilised on the bike. Then I have a sports fleece that is sold as a running top. Good as an extra layer when it is really cold and packs up quite small.

But by far the best cycling clothing for me is Lycra. Bib shorts- Wicking short sleeve top- Roubaix material long sleeve and the gortex over the whole lot.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like some have mentioned, my 50+ figure isn't flattering in cycling gear, but I still wear it because after 25 seasons, I can't hardly ride in anything else. I've tried riding the mile to my local convenience store in street clothes and I just can't do it. I do like the idea of the looser PI tights, though. I've seen them in persona and often thought that they are probably even warmer than regular tights due to the loose fit. I may have to get a pair.

Denny
    Dennis T

Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    YEAH!

BLACKBERRY IS BACK

WELCOME BACK!

We love Blackberry! I hope he stays....

East Hill

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like cycling clothes and feel that they add value and necessary functionality to the sport. I recently purchased Louis Garneau bib shorts. These are very nice and have a great chamois for longer distances.

In general, I purchase clothes designed for the sport because it improves the enjoyment of the activity. I buy the latest ski wear and skis and the same for golf. Why would cycling be any different?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the aesthetic of lycra riding shorts, but they work so well for me that I use them. Even padded mountain bike shorts get to me after 30 miles...

P.S. Good to see BB back!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by East Hill

We love Blackberry! I hope he stays....

East Hill
    Thanks guys. How can I stay away from cool cats like you?

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't have time to do a road ride today. So, did a session on the trainer this morning. Wife sees me and says, "Why are you wearing your cycling shorts and jersey on the trainer?" I say, "Because they are comfortable." It was then that it hit me, I actually like spandex (or is it really Lycra?). I've always been curious about those who say they ride regular shorts, jeans, sweat pants, etc. Never completely understood why someone would want to do that. I'm not saying they shouldn't ride wearing what they want; I just don't get it. And, maybe I'm out of the norm here, but the feel of putting on my cycling shorts and form fitting jersey is a pleasurable one. Truth be told, when the cooler weather hits and I start wearing tights and skin tight base layers, I like that too.... it may be the only thing I like about cooler weather.

re: "I actually like spandex (or is it really Lycra?)"

In the trailer park it's called "spandex"...out on the bike it's called "lycra".

As for wearing it...I think usage is inversely related to how many pounds you've gained since high school, and directly related to how far above 15 mph your average speed on the bike is.

I'm within 5 lbs of my high school weight, and average well over 15 mph on most rides, so comfy lycra is my friend.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back Blackberry!

Paul

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lycra shorts and jerseys for me most of the time. If I'm just tooling around town and expect to do much walking around amongst non-cyclists, I'll wear loose shorts and a t-shirt. A slightly more athletic ride with walking around, I'll step up to MTB baggy shorts with attached padded shorts or loose shorts over lycra and a wicking t-shirt. On a hard ride in hot weather, I'm wearing lycra and a jersey, I don't care who I'm going to be around. I sweat a lot and I live where heat and humidity are plentiful most of the year. Staying comfortable outranks modesty.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast