Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indoor Bike Trainers

I just read the thread about wearing Spandex/Lycra while using indoor trainers. My take on Spandex is that if Errol Flynn can wear them, I can wear them. Maybe those tights have enough squeeze factor to push my mass upward and make me look taller. Hmmm...

I'd be interested in hearing more about the indoor trainers. I've never used them, and my only memory of these usually involve our movie heroes doing Mach 3 through the living room when the bike slips off the bike trainers.

Some questions please:
    * Are indoor trainers popular and used a lot?

* Is it best to only buy bike trainers from the bike manufacturer ... or at least ... is it best to have a certain type of trainer based on whether you have a mountain or ride bike?

* For the road bike trainers, is there a top speed not to exceed, unless you plan on doing Mach 3 through the living room?

* What are the recommended "top of the line" trainers to consider, and why?

* Got any anecdotes or interesting stories about using the trainers? For some reason, this appears to be a "Murphy's Law" type of equipment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well now, there's a LOT of stuff about trainers here as I discovered when I did a search so chances are, all your questions have been well, well covered. For the nonce, let me say that I use a Kurt Kinetics Road Machine and I love it. Many here hate trainers -and for understandable reasons- but if you can't/don't want to get out in the cold/wet/dark, they will keep you in pretty good shape so when spring comes around again (and it will) you don't have to start over.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trainers currently come in lots of different configurations. I believe the experiences you were describing match some of those I've had when riding rollers. While rollers are still available and have their advantages (great for building form and balance) and disadvantages (falling off!), most trainers in use today are the stationary type where the rear wheel is secured into the unit. Hence, unless you don't put it in correctly, they are a lot safer. On this type unit, I've never heard of any limits on speed. Finally, in terms of the best ones, I think this is largely a matter of what you want to do with it. Some folks spring for trainers with lots of data collection ability.... these things can measure almost everything (speed, cadence, calories burned, heart rate, watts produced, etc.) For my taste, simple is better. I only want to know how long I've ridden and what my cadence is while riding (which I get via my cycle computer).
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One small piece of advice I can offer--see if you can find out how loud the trainer your considering is gonna be. I had a nice one that finally broke. Then I went for a cheapie, and it sounds like an airplane taking off.

My Bikes
    Lemond Tourmalet
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this one...
    http://www.cycle-ops.com/p-117-magneto.aspx
    It's quiet and well built.
    Lemond Tourmalet in Louisville

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good information, thanks everyone. Was thinking I was the lone ranger, as far as thinking about indoor trainers. I joined the Yahoo indoor biker group that DnvrFox recommended, and was surprised to see over 200 members. I'll also check out the Saris magneto that miatatbone recommended.

A question I can foresee my wife asking: What is better, to have an indoor trainer that will put mileage (i.e., wear & tear) on an expensive outdoor bike, or to have a stationary exercise bike that would not put mileage on an expensive outdoor bike? What are the pros and cons of hooking your bike to an indoor trainer, versus using a stationary bike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorad
    Good information, thanks everyone. Was thinking I was the lone ranger, as far as thinking about indoor trainers. I joined the Yahoo indoor biker group that DnvrFox recommended, and was surprised to see over 200 members. I'll also check out the Saris magneto that miatatbone recommended.

A question I can foresee my wife asking: What is better, to have an indoor trainer that will put mileage (i.e., wear & tear) on an expensive outdoor bike, or to have a stationary exercise bike that would not put mileage on an expensive outdoor bike? What are the pros and cons of hooking your bike to an indoor trainer, versus using a stationary bike.
    Thanks - actually I started and moderate that group.

3rd choice - buy an old clunker and use it as your training bike. I paid $30 for the one in this picture.

DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the link to the company that makes the trainer I now use for my road bike. My old riding bud in Wheaton, IL, a veteran of 3 PAC cross country rides, P-B-P, and RAAM uses and recommends this trainer. You can only buy it on line. I also sent along the link to the Road Bike Review web site for the trainer. This is also a good site to check out other equipment, clothing, etc. for your biking. Hope this helps.

http://www.1upusa.com/

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/tr...5_1663crx.aspx

My Bikes
    The keepers: 1960 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 1973 Lambert, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport, 2 - 1988 Rossins
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using my Raleigh Seneca mtb on the trainer, because the rear wheel is bolt on, not quick release. That way, I don't have to go swapping quick releases out between evenings in the garage and days on the road. The downside to trainers is that they're boring as hell. I still get on mine for at least 15 minutes every evening, more if I'm up to the mood, but I've got to get some kind of book stand for my setup.

Other good side for trainers: Having always ridden toe clips and straps, once I started converting to SPD cleats, I spent weeks with them on the trainer until I was absolutely certain I could get in and out of them quickly as second nature. I've heard too many comments of, "you always fall at least once" with those things, and as I'm still healing up from that broken wrist late last summer, the last thing I need right now is another fall.

Also excellent for rear derailleur setups that insist on being finicky, occasionally tossing the chain for no good reason. Testing them under pressure sure works better than on a work stand.
    Syke

"No wonder we keep testing positive in their bicycle races. Everyone looks like they're full of testosterone when they're surrounded by Frenchmen." ---Argus Hamilton

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Kurt Kinetic. My son and I fight on who gets to ride it. It's pretty quiet. I rode it while watching the Bowl Bash last night, no trouble with volume control.

I know some folks that swear by the Spinercize workout videos, or something like that. I have a couple, and like everyone else, I start to hate Coach Troy's guts after about 1/2 hour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlt
    Here is the link to the company that makes the trainer I now use for my road bike. My old riding bud in Wheaton, IL, a veteran of 3 PAC cross country rides, P-B-P, and RAAM uses and recommends this trainer. You can only buy it on line. I also sent along the link to the Road Bike Review web site for the trainer. This is also a good site to check out other equipment, clothing, etc. for your biking. Hope this helps.

http://www.1upusa.com/

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/tr...5_1663crx.aspx
    The Blackburn Ultra Trac Stand looks to be the same trainer. Have one and it works great. Very quiet and it does have a good road simulation feel as advertised.