Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Challenge for new riders in 2007

This is not only for new riders- but also those that have not taken the plunge in their cycling yet.

I throw out a challenge to all of us that are new- to get fit enough to do an organised ride this year. I don't mean a 5 day trip across the rockies- or 23 days across America, that is for 2008. What I am talking about is for you to find an organised ride in your area and enter. Mostly these will be a charity ride and will offer a range of miles for you to enter for. My first one will be in March and is a 40 miler for me, 25 miler for others, and is for a local charity body called the LIONS.

Thing about these organised rides is that you will always find someone of your pace and your grade to ride with. They are fantastic. They urge you to do a higher milage aswell and probably get you to ride at a higher pace than you normally do. The milage will not be high- although hopefully it will be More than you have done before- and the terrain should not be too difficult. It should be just a bit more than you have attempted before.

So get your diaries out- Find out about the organised ride in your area and enter.

And then once you have done a couple of these rides- you can all get together and sort out the challenge for the more experienced riders amongst us.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right that they're fun. And, they're a great way to do your first big mileage ride, be it a 50 miler, a metric, or a full century. Between the support vehicles and other bikers, you're never alone. Most of them have rest stops with food, which is also a plus.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But will Digital Gee get a new bike for this?
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    But will Digital Gee get a new bike for this?
    Perhaps someone will sponsor me and give me a new bike!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did two in 06, I'll go for more in 07.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in! I've pretty much planned my cycling season for 2007.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love organized rides. One of my favorites is the Tour De Cure in Napa, Ca. I did the short ride last year, and most likely will again this year. I'm supposed to test ride a bike tomorrow, and I hope to like it, order one, and have it in time to get ready for longer rides later this summer.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your idea-- I tend to ride with a group on weekends, but do the bulk of my riding alone during the week (commuting). I have done several organized rides in the past and have enjoyed them immensely-- For 2007 I am planning to do Ride the Rockies in June-- a week of riding in Colorado... I did it 5 years ago and it was great! Registration is by lottery in February-- ridetherockies.com

Also take part in a few long-distance rides-- in Southern Virginia over Memorial Day weekend - "Mountains of Misery" and in August -- I hope to ride "The Nightmare Tour" again-- it's the perimeter of Lancaster County in Pennsylvania-- (love the names of these rides...)

The beauty of these rides is that you always find someone your pace to ride with--and in my case, it seems to always be someone 15-20 years younger than me

train safe-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope to do the local "Ride for the Red" in March. All depends on the outcome of my eye surgery.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do one every summer and I gotta tell ya --at the end of the day the beer tastes better than I ever remember. And the pie at lunch, ooohhhh man!

Even though the rest of the family can't get into it for a whole 9 days, I consider it the highlight of my year. (The rest of the family does the first weekend and then bails on me --leaving me unsupported for the rest of the week. But I couldn't be happier about it.)
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours is a local group of families (10 or 12) and not necessarily open for public signup, but here is a link describing it briefly in case somebody wants to create their own group event.

http://dbg.home.att.net/clabraw_guide.htm
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Tour de Cure in Indianapolis in July, a Triathlon in June, and the Wife and I are going touring as well this Summer upcoming!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Idea stapfam, but I'm a solo rider and strongly avoid group rides.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year - RAIN (Ride Across INdiana), El Tour De Tuscon (25th Anniversary), 24 Hours of BOOTY (Charlotte), also trying to organize a ride with some others on the Natchez Trace. I need goals!!!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love organized rides. I did the following in 2006:
    Greene Trail Cycling Classic - 4 day tour (no camping) with my first century
    Livestrong Ride in Philadelphia - 45 miles of hills
    Several club sponsored rides - 40-65 miles

In 2007 I will be doing my first multi-day tour with camping. I've registered for XOBA (Across Ohio Bike Adventure). Currently in the planning stage is a multi-day tour in Michigan. I also plan on doing several club sponsored rides again.

I can't wait until I'm retired and can do more of the tours.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've really enjoyed these rides as well, and have done six over the past two years. These are some of the things that I like about them:

1) Someone else has planned the route, so all I have to do is follow directions, maps, or signs.

2) Gets me riding in unfamiliar areas where I would not have any idea which roads are best.

3) Usually great food and snacks at the stops (danger of a net calorie increase for the day!).

4) I can basically ride alone if I prefer it, and still have people to shoot the breeze with at lunch or rest stops.

5) Motorists are extra aware of bikes on the road since there are so many of us.

6) Can get to know a route and landmarks if you attend particular events every year.

7) Gives me something to think about and plan for when I'm bored or discouraged at work (IOW, most of the time!).

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron
    Good Idea stapfam, but I'm a solo rider and strongly avoid group rides.
    Thats why it is a CHALLENGE.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '73 Frejus TdF
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I accept your challenge. My wife and I have registered for the tour de Whatcom in August. It will be my first attempt at a century. Like some others I primarily ride alone, so this will be a new experience for me.
    David

'73 Frejus TdF
    '06 Rodriguez Sport (Veloce)

My Bikes
    November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan to ride the Reston Century (3rd time for the full ride, hilly option of course) in late August, either the PPTC/Berryville VA Century in September or Seagull Century (2nd time) in October. I may have to roll my own for earlier in the season. I'd like to find a DC-area charity ride supporting breast cancer research and treatment (or I'll do the 2 day Avon Walk in May or the Komen Foundation's Race for the Cure in June).

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great idea. I know of nothing that can jump start your enthusiasm for bicycling like participating in a large organized ride. When I started riding regularly in 1990, I rode alone almost exclusively. On a lark, I signed up for the Bicycle Ride Across Georgia in the summer of '91. It blew my mind that 2,000 people in Georgia would take a week off to ride bicycles 60 miles a day. What really surprised me was that it was not just a gathering of super athletes. There were some of those, but there were hundreds of average folks and quite a few who you would never guess could do such a thing.
    Since then I have ridden in many organized rides every year. Last year my club put on a small ride on April Fools day. We had such fun and things went so well that we are now busy planning this year's version with more distance options and with a goal of doubling last year's number of riders.
    So take the challenge. No matter how sure you are of how it will be, theres a huge chance that it will be different than you expect. Try something new. You may like it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give it careful consideration. That is a strong maybe.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.