Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handlebar Wraps

I have a question about how difficult it is to find different colors of handlebar wraps ... and have them installed ... so that they match the color of the saddle. I'm thinking about having a bike painted green ... and if I get an antique brown Brooks saddle ... it would look cool to have matching antique brown leather handlebar wraps.

For example, in the photo album that Louis sent us, his bike has blue handlebar wraps. How in the world can you find turqoise-blue leather (looks like leather) handlebar wraps?
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...fromshare&Ux=0

So, is it best to just ask the LBS to find & install the handlebar wraps ... or should I start by asking Brooks if they have matching antique brown handlebar wraps that would match their antique brown B17?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Waterford bike's web page in the Odd and ends section they have Brooks leather bar wrap

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fining different colored bar tape isn't too hard at all. Just doing a google search turns up lots of sources for the stuff. Brooks makes leather handlebar wrap in three colors (that I know of) in Black, Honey and Antique Brown, and you can find it all over the web.

Installing handlebar tape is one of the easiest things you can do yourself. Just following some instructions and exercising a bit of care and you can easily do it yourself. And, it's fun! Park Tool's website has some excellent instructions on this and many other repairs you can do yourself.

Take care,

Steve

My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information provided so far. Are there any cleaning/maintenance issues for leather items on your bike, for example leather Brooks B17 and leather Brooks handlebar wrap? I wouldn't leave my bike in the rain, but are there cleaning/maintenance tips you should follow as soon as you come back from riding in the rain?

Worse case: What if you get mud on a leather saddle or on leather handlebar wrap?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I did see Brooks leather handlebar wrap somewhere. As I remember the question was about whether any handlebar wrap could be worth that much money.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people use "natural cork" colored wrap to match a Brooks leather saddle. Not very pricey either.

My Bikes
    Torelli, Bianchi Trofeo, De Rosa, Specialized Expedition Touring, Colnago Cross, Motobecane Grand Jubile & Grand Record, Miyata 710, 2 Titans, Raleigh Super Course, 3Rensho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For cork wrap that matches the Brooks "honey" leather saddle color, you can use Cinelli brand tan or yellow cork tape then apply several coats of Bullseye amber shellac until you get the right shade. Best match to my saddle was with the yellow tape + 3 coats of shellac. Do a search for the threads on shellac bar tape for pictures. P.S. Cork tape is $12-$15 vs the Brooks leather bar tape at $50. Don

My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cork is sounding pretty good right about now...

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nashbar has "natural cork" tape for $7.95. I have no idea as to the quality thereof.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Nashbar has "natural cork" tape for $7.95. I have no idea as to the quality thereof.
    Nashbar cork tape feels good and holds up well. It is often on sale for less than that. With a few layers of shellac, I would think the cheapest available cork tape would hold up pretty well.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.