Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Cheap Thrills

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheap Thrills

Well, maybe not that thrilling but definitely cheaper than a GPS system, a bottle of wine or a blond--and a lot less trouble.

I recently got a $15 pedometer, and someone told me that some "expert" or other recommended walking 10.000 steps per day (or about five miles). So, I reckoned what the heck--I'll do it. And I've been collecting miles ever since.

t's amazing how fast you can rack up a half mile pushing a grocery cart around, etc. But to get to five miles every day actually takes a little doing--like parking your car a mile away from work, taking a 10 minute walk a couple of times a day, etc., etc.

The best thing about a goal like this is it's just challenging enough so you have to make an effort but not so challenging that you can't do it most days. And, it doesn't get in the way of really important things like riding a bike. It's also a pretty painlessly burn an extra 500 calories or so per day.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does using a pedometer on a bike Count?

I had one for about a week before the batteries failed and with just a bit of effort-The milage you can get up is surprising. I have to contact various people around the building in a day and rather than pick up a phone- I would visit them in their office. Face to face I always got what I wanted- right there and then, instead of "I'll sort it out in a minute". And only getting it 4 phone calls later.

Then my Co-rider on the Tandem is a policeman- but an office bound one. He did a spell at Gatwick Airport and they all had to wear one for a while. They kept on wondering how an office Jerk could get in more milage in a day than a Copper on the beat in the Airport. Easy- He is not an office guy so always found an excuse to Go and check the Paperwork around the airport somewhere. He now works Locally and He does not use a car. Bike or walk everywhere. No wonder I have trouble keeping up with him on rides.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever notice how many slender people live in New York city?They walk everywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Does using a pedometer on a bike Count?

I had one for about a week before the batteries failed and with just a bit of effort-The milage you can get up is surprising. I have to contact various people around the building in a day and rather than pick up a phone- I would visit them in their office. Face to face I always got what I wanted- right there and then, instead of "I'll sort it out in a minute". And only getting it 4 phone calls later.

Then my Co-rider on the Tandem is a policeman- but an office bound one. He did a spell at Gatwick Airport and they all had to wear one for a while. They kept on wondering how an office Jerk could get in more milage in a day than a Copper on the beat in the Airport. Easy- He is not an office guy so always found an excuse to Go and check the Paperwork around the airport somewhere. He now works Locally and He does not use a car. Bike or walk everywhere. No wonder I have trouble keeping up with him on rides.
    We need to rediscover biking and walking in the Colonies.When in Europe I,ve heard off-color references of Americans and weight.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spry
    We need to rediscover biking and walking in the Colonies.When in Europe I,ve heard off-color references of Americans and weight.
    The Surprising this is that so many people are overweight and I am not just meaning the Americans- You may have a higher %age than us in the UK but We are quickly getting to your level. Big thing is obesity in youngsters. They don't walk anywhere- Mum has a car to run them around in. They don't play sports any longer as they will get picked on for being "Fat" in the changing room and all they seem to do is sit in front of the games Console up in their Bedroom. In my youth I cannot remember one single "Fat" kid in my school and I can only remember a couple of Large ones. The only reason I can remember them is they Caught me on the Rugby Field and it hurt.

We have 14 youngsters in our road. only 3 are fat and they are obese. Down to the parents I am afraid as they are as lazy as the kids. The rest of the Kids and their parents are out and about doing various activities all the time. Can't get any of them riding though.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in Europe, someone actually said to me, "You're an American? But you're not fat."

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Well, maybe not that thrilling but definitely cheaper than a GPS system, a bottle of wine or a blond--and a lot less trouble.

I recently got a $15 pedometer, and someone told me that some "expert" or other recommended walking 10.000 steps per day (or about five miles). So, I reckoned what the heck--I'll do it. And I've been collecting miles ever since.

t's amazing how fast you can rack up a half mile pushing a grocery cart around, etc. But to get to five miles every day actually takes a little doing--like parking your car a mile away from work, taking a 10 minute walk a couple of times a day, etc., etc.

The best thing about a goal like this is it's just challenging enough so you have to make an effort but not so challenging that you can't do it most days. And, it doesn't get in the way of really important things like riding a bike. It's also a pretty painlessly burn an extra 500 calories or so per day.

What a great idea. I bet it requires you to think and plan a little differently to add a few steps here and there. Interesting that folks mention Americans=obesity. Several of us were talking about that very thing on our ride today when we saw some folks waddling out of a store.........they definitely had eaten more than their share of doughnuts.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    What a great idea. I bet it requires you to think and plan a little differently to add a few steps here and there. Interesting that folks mention Americans=obesity. Several of us were talking about that very thing on our ride today when we saw some folks waddling out of a store.........they definitely had eaten more than their share of doughnuts.
    But we don't eat Donuts on this forum- It is only good wholesome Pie.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But we don't eat Donuts on this forum-
    The first punk who makes a cop joke is going downtown with me...
    Last edited by Webb Diego; 01-07-07 at 04:54 AM.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But we don't eat Donuts on this forum- It is only good wholesome Pie.
    Exactly........we get all the nutrients that the fruit filling has to offer!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webb Diego
    The first punk who makes a cop joke is going downtown with me...
    Bad cop! No donut! Just kidding, put down that nightstick .

I wear a pedometer daily, have been using it for over a year. I have to cover a lot of ground during the day at work, we have a big manufacturing facility that I criss-cross many times in eight hours. I used to obsess about getting in my 10K steps, now I just let it take care of itself during the day and try to make up any shortage with a brisk walk after dinner with the bride....

B'Dog
    2006 Gary Fisher Marlin MTB
    2004 Salsa LaRaza aka "Mmmm, Blue Salsa" (853 steel is real, baby!)
    2003 Kona Humu Humu Nuka Nuka Apua'A Singlespeed - Gone, but not forgotten
    1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
    1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
    1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I'll acknowledge that kids in the US are disturbingly heavy and underactive as a group, I've long ago quit worrying about what Europe says about us. When I was a kid, Americans were lazy and didn't exercise enough. Then, when many in my (our) generation got on the fitness bandwagon, Americans became objects of scorn because we were obsessed with sports and overdid everything. Fifteen years ago, too many Americans were trying to emulate skinny models and were unhealthily thin. Now we've gone full circle and are lazy and fat again. From all of that, I've come to the conclusion that Europeans enjoy looking down on us, and they consider any difference between us as a good reason to do so.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
    Although I'll acknowledge that kids in the US are disturbingly heavy and underactive as a group, I've long ago quit worrying about what Europe says about us. When I was a kid, Americans were lazy and didn't exercise enough. Then, when many in my (our) generation got on the fitness bandwagon, Americans became objects of scorn because we were obsessed with sports and overdid everything. Fifteen years ago, too many Americans were trying to emulate skinny models and were unhealthily thin. Now we've gone full circle and are lazy and fat again. From all of that, I've come to the conclusion that Europeans enjoy looking down on us, and they consider any difference between us as a good reason to do so.

Well, some may have been emulating skinny models, but Americans have been adding on the blubber for decades, as have many others around the world. Interesting reports here:

http://www.obesity.org/subs/fastfacts/obesity_US.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4930264.stm

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20...13_160102.html

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
    From all of that, I've come to the conclusion that Europeans enjoy looking down on us, and they consider any difference between us as a good reason to do so.
    Don't you believe it- We have too many overweight people over here. One Thing I do blame it on is Fast Food outlets. There are too many of them and kids nowadays want a McDonalds as their main meal. I used to enjoy a KFC but even that is getting to taste of grease and poor quality product.

We Have a Chef Over here called Jamie Oliver and he is on a Crusade to get school meals healthier. Has had some success but he is fighting a losing battle because the kids still want Chips with everything and Pitza or Burgers. Jamies theory is that if he can get the kids eating healthy food- They will get to prefer it. Makes sense but when the kids go home- Evening meal is a Take-Away or burgers and chips. (And I do mean Burgers in the plural)

We don't look down on The Americans, we have enough of a problem ourselves.

Spike Milligan