Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Birthday pressies. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/258684-birthday-pressies.html)

stapfam 01-06-07 04:30 PM

Birthday pressies.

Not much bike related stuff for christmas but the birthday presents are different.
First off- are a selection of Tools for the workshop for working on the bikes. Actual tools such as Spanners in small sizes and a T Wrench with interchangable bits and all in bike sizes rather than the truck ones that I have. One of the problems that I experience on rides is cold feet. Got it so that the body hands and head are ok but to cure the cold feet- a pair of SealSkinz waterproof socks. If I can keep the feet dry- then they will stay warm. And Finally- I was bought an I Pod shuffle. Been trying to sort music for the ride tomorrow. Lot of Queen on it already as this I have found at the gym is ideal for hillclimbing with a bit of pressure on the pedals. Been running through a lot of Blues CD's to sort some of my favourite tracks to get the cadence right for on the flat- but It has been a bit difficult. Lots of John Lee hooker on there and one of my favourite tracks by Slim Harpo- "I'm a King Bee". Favourite? In my youth I played Bass and This is the first song I can remember playing to a big Audience and it was a Hit. Always was whenever we played it so Has to be in any of my selection. We used to play a lot of "Unheard" of American Blues music and we hit the style at just the right time. Yet another anonymous one as it is my Birthday so Thankyou Bikeforums.net---- You are a Star.

Now the problem I have for you to resolve--- What Music do you use to get the cadence of around 90 to 100 on an I Pod? Remember- My choice of music is very basic and Blues or something with a strong beat is the order of the day. I Do not like RAP or Modern music at all so it has to be Good stuff. You know- the sort of music you forced your kids to listen to to try and educate them in the finer points of Life.

Edit. I was also given one anonymous Gift this year that is worth about $25. This has come about through Bikeforums.net and is something that I have been wanting to get for a long time. This was an anonymous gift so I have decided that the next Charity ride I do is going to get a Good Donation from Bikeforums.net For adding to my enjoyment of Cycling.

Little Darwin 01-06-07 04:47 PM

Happy Birthday!

I know I use some of Stevie Ray Vaughan's when I am at the gym, some fast, some slower, all guaranteed to keep me entertained. :-)

Some that seems to strike a chord for me as being about 100 bpm are "The House is Rockin" "Voodoo Child" and "Crossfire".

My Ipod is SRV rich! :-)

mollusk 01-06-07 04:49 PM

A blues player from your side of the "pond" that played a lot of high tempo songs was Rory Gallagher (R.I.P.). I don't ride with any kind of player, but I do ride with music from memory if that makes any sense to you. I can replay in my head entire albums of music, some of which I haven't heard in over 20 years. It's kind of like the aural equivalent of a photographic memory.

Louis 01-06-07 05:47 PM

A belated Happy Birthday, stapfam.:bday: :beer:

We Americans needed the Brits to wise us up about the real blues that were going on right under our noses. Forever grateful.

Little Darwin 01-07-07 08:32 AM

I should give credit where it is due. My sons listened to a lot of my music because I played it a lot, but they were the ones to turned me on to Stevie Ray. I didn't know who he was until years after his death... even though I had occasionally heard a song or two on the radio, it never clicked.

Also don't discount modern... maybe not to your taste, but there are a couple of modern groups I like, and I think work well with my 70's musical tastes. They would be good if you like classical music with a rock infusion.

One modern group on my IPOD is a British group... Bond. The members aren't bad on the eyes either. :) Some of their music is good for keeping tempo up, and others are good for warm-up or cool down.

Another modern group I haven't tried yet for workouts, is Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Their Christmas albums would be nice for seasonal flavor, and their non-Christmas "Beethoven's Last Night" would be interesting to explore for pieces with a good tempo for workouts as well. Their next non-Christmas album "Night Castle" is in the works... and I will buy it as soon as I know it is out.

Mojo Slim 01-07-07 02:04 PM

Here's a few. Only artists from A-C
1. Keep on Chooglin' - Creedence (Bayou Country)
2. Baby, Please Don't Go - Aerosmith (Honkin' On Bobo)
3. Stateboro Blues - Allman Brothers (several albums)
4. Boom Boom - Animals
5. Beck's Bolero - Jeff Beck (Truth)
6. Turn On Your Love Light - Blues Brothers (Blues Brothers 2000 Soundtrack)
7. East-West - Paul Butterfield
8. I'm Tore Down - Eric Clapton (From the Cradel)
9. Cuttin' Up Rough - Climax Blues Band
10. Down to the Bone - Cold Blood
11. Rollin' and Tumblin' - Cream (Fresh Cream)

p8rider 01-07-07 07:32 PM

Happy birthday stapfam!!
I can't say that I know any good tunes to maintain a particular cadence. I do not listen to anything but the road when I ride.
However if I were ever to be in the situation to enjoy music and ride I believe I would have Jethro Tull cranked up!!