Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Wraps

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Handlebar Wraps

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-07, 08:45 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Handlebar Wraps

I have a question about how difficult it is to find different colors of handlebar wraps ... and have them installed ... so that they match the color of the saddle. I'm thinking about having a bike painted green ... and if I get an antique brown Brooks saddle ... it would look cool to have matching antique brown leather handlebar wraps.

For example, in the photo album that Louis sent us, his bike has blue handlebar wraps. How in the world can you find turqoise-blue leather (looks like leather) handlebar wraps?
https://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...fromshare&Ux=0

So, is it best to just ask the LBS to find & install the handlebar wraps ... or should I start by asking Brooks if they have matching antique brown handlebar wraps that would match their antique brown B17?
Old 01-06-07, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try Waterford bike's web page in the Odd and ends section they have Brooks leather bar wrap
Old 01-06-07, 11:01 AM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fining different colored bar tape isn't too hard at all. Just doing a google search turns up lots of sources for the stuff. Brooks makes leather handlebar wrap in three colors (that I know of) in Black, Honey and Antique Brown, and you can find it all over the web.

Installing handlebar tape is one of the easiest things you can do yourself. Just following some instructions and exercising a bit of care and you can easily do it yourself. And, it's fun! Park Tool's website has some excellent instructions on this and many other repairs you can do yourself.

Take care,

Steve
Old 01-06-07, 03:26 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the information provided so far. Are there any cleaning/maintenance issues for leather items on your bike, for example leather Brooks B17 and leather Brooks handlebar wrap? I wouldn't leave my bike in the rain, but are there cleaning/maintenance tips you should follow as soon as you come back from riding in the rain?

Worse case: What if you get mud on a leather saddle or on leather handlebar wrap?
Old 01-06-07, 04:50 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Actually I did see Brooks leather handlebar wrap somewhere. As I remember the question was about whether any handlebar wrap could be worth that much money.
Old 01-06-07, 05:55 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some people use "natural cork" colored wrap to match a Brooks leather saddle. Not very pricey either.
Old 01-06-07, 06:18 PM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
For cork wrap that matches the Brooks "honey" leather saddle color, you can use Cinelli brand tan or yellow cork tape then apply several coats of Bullseye amber shellac until you get the right shade. Best match to my saddle was with the yellow tape + 3 coats of shellac. Do a search for the threads on shellac bar tape for pictures. P.S. Cork tape is $12-$15 vs the Brooks leather bar tape at $50. Don
Old 01-06-07, 07:00 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cork is sounding pretty good right about now...
Old 01-06-07, 08:32 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nashbar has "natural cork" tape for $7.95. I have no idea as to the quality thereof.
Old 01-06-07, 09:28 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Nashbar has "natural cork" tape for $7.95. I have no idea as to the quality thereof.
Nashbar cork tape feels good and holds up well. It is often on sale for less than that. With a few layers of shellac, I would think the cheapest available cork tape would hold up pretty well.