Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just starting and gone already.....

Found this forum while looking for bike locks. Allow me to explain.
    I'm in Queens NY for several months on an assignment, and rather than get a car I decided to get a bike. Now, I have not ridden a bike in about 35 years but I figured it would be easier than a car and good for me as well. So off I went to get a cheap bike - when I figure out what I want I'll go for something better - and bought something with 2 wheels. That was 2 weeks ago. I went back to the same place today to get some other stuff, locked the bike to the bike stand in front of this BIG, BUSY store, shopped, came out and it was gone. Cable lock (I know, I know - a cable lock in Queens - duh) and all. So I went back in and bought another one. A better this time. And a Kryptonite U lock. But tonight I ordered the NY version. Seemed fitting somehow.
    Now here's the thing. I have seen on the web several articles about how to use them. Few pictures however. How about some advice. Is putting the U thru the rear wheel inside the frame triangle sufficient?

Today it was 70 here, and I road about 15 miles. I try to ride every day, as long as there is no rain. Cold I don't mind becasue I still don't go very fast. (I knew there was an upside to being out of shape!)

tia for the help.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I was in a small, rural Wisconsin town. I walked past a little breakfast cafe. There were three bikes in the front rack, none of them were locked. I smiled.

Here are some thoughts on your question:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Today I was in a small, rural Wisconsin town. I walked past a little breakfast cafe. There were three bikes in the front rack, none of them were locked. I smiled.
    I hope you enjoyed your moment of smug, personal satisfaction, Tommy Boy. Because Mister, for every smile a citizen in this country enjoys, a man or woman dressed in blue has lost a bucketful of sweat protecting you and your kind from them and their kind. Oh I know, crime doesn't happen in small town USA. Well let me clue you in on a little secret. The only small town left in America is the one in the empty space between your ears. Sheriff Andy of Mayberry is a nice pipedream...and you know all about pipe dreams, don't you, pal. But that's what makes you and I as different as night and day or Desi and Lucy. I know the difference between fantasy and reality, and my reality hits me straight in the gut every time I don a bullet proof vest just so I can go around the corner for a cup of java, black, no sugar. Sure, the gang down at the diner have a good laugh when I reach for a saltine ******* and the velcro straps on my vest start groaning. But without the brave astronauts from the Apollo program, there would be no Velcro. Hell, here may be no America. That's how much the space race meant to this is country. So the next time you walk past a bike rack and you see three bikes without locks, just remember, there may have been a fourth bike there that WAS locked, and that's the one the punks looking for a cheap thrill decided to steal.
    Last edited by Webb Diego; 01-07-07 at 04:43 AM.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby Diego
    So the next time you walk past a bike rack and you see three bikes without locks, just remember, there may have been a fourth bike there that WAS locked, and that's the one the punks looking for a cheap thrill decided to steal.
    Just goes to show the level of intelligence possessed by most criminals. W. D., thanks for all your hard work keeping low I.Q. law breakers off the streets.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Queens, N.Y. My wife and I grew up there, lived there for about 35 years, moved from there, haven't had one single thing stolen since. Probably just a coincidence.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only way I leave my bike is locked up in the bike shed- or I have my hand on it. If we go into a cafe on a ride- We have it in sight all the time and the front QR is in my pocket. Then as soon as a thief picks up the bike- the wheel falls out and they don't get very far.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    RANS Dynamik
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webb Diego
    I hope you enjoyed your moment of smug, personal satisfaction, Tommy Boy. Because Mister, for every smile a citizen in this country enjoys, a man or woman dressed in blue has lost a bucketful of sweat protecting you and your kind from them and their kind. Oh I know, crime doesn't happen in small town USA. Well let me clue you in on a little secret. The only small town left in America is the one in the empty space between your ears. Sheriff Andy of Mayberry is a nice pipedream...and you know all about pipe dreams, don't you, pal. But that's what makes you and I as different as night and day or Desi and Lucy. I know the difference between fantasy and reality, and my reality hits me straight in the gut every time I don a bullet proof vest just so I can go around the corner for a cup of java, black, no sugar. Sure, the gang down at the diner have a good laugh when I reach for a saltine ******* and the velcro straps on my vest start groaning. But without the brave astronauts from the Apollo program, there would be no Velcro. Hell, here may be no America. That's how much the space race meant to this is country. So the next time you walk past a bike rack and you see three bikes without locks, just remember, there may have been a fourth bike there that WAS locked, and that's the one the punks looking for a cheap thrill decided to steal.
    I'm new in this city, sir, is there anything I should... you know... know?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worst thing that they steal from you is your piece of mind. I can see that they've already taken yours. I'm sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hask12
    Welcome to Queens, N.Y. My wife and I grew up there, lived there for about 35 years, moved from there, haven't had one single thing stolen since. Probably just a coincidence.
    I'm sure it is! The cop that I talked to laughed when I asked about making a report. With my current lock up plan, I need a backpack for all the locks and chains!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Only way I leave my bike is locked up in the bike shed- or I have my hand on it. If we go into a cafe on a ride- We have it in sight all the time and the front QR is in my pocket. Then as soon as a thief picks up the bike- the wheel falls out and they don't get very far.
    ok, whats a QR?
    for reference see the newbie title

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willcare
    ok, whats a QR?
    for reference see the newbie title
    Quick Release -

technical term for
    Axle 'thingy' that quickly allows removal of wheel (in lieu of a nut).
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry for you loss, but welcome to the forum. You'll love it here.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
    I'm sorry for you loss, but welcome to the forum. You'll love it here.
    +1

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because So the next time you walk past a bike rack and you see three bikes without locks, just remember, there may have been a fourth bike there that WAS locked, and that's the one the punks looking for a cheap thrill decided to steal.
    So that's why the 100+ bikes near the trails at the little cafes around here don't have locks! Cause someone would steal them, dumby me. All along I thought it was cause if someone tried to steal a bike about 50 cyclists would jump them and use them for bait with the mean dogs.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein