• 3. Pullups 6+

15 40.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reality Exercise Strength Check

Reality Exercise Strength Check for 50+'rs.

This poll is anonymous.

OK, some very simple strength checks that most of us can do.

Pushups, crunches and pullups.

I know there are a lot of better checks, but most of us have, in some form or other, the ability to check these things out.

Pushups: Keeping the body straight, starting from the "up" position, lowering till something touches the floor, then up again. How many in a single try?

Crunches: Using the George Forman method - lying in front of a chair, upper legs at about 90 degrees to body and lower legs 90 degrees out from lower legs, horizontal with floor, and heels and lower legs resting on chair seat. How many ups and downs can you do in one try? (Caution: DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD AND PULL ON YOUR HEAD. KEEP HANDS TO SIDE OF HEAD OR FOLDED ON YOUR CHEST)

Pullups: Find a bar somewhere (like in a playground) or make your own with some pipe and rafters. Hands pointing any direction you might like, starting from a hanging position, pull up until chin goes over bar, then down again. Depending on the height of the bar, you may want to start from a small stool. How many continuous?

Okay, give it a try.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-07-07 at 08:40 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - just did my own test.

Crunches - 105, but I could do more, just decided to stop (I also regularly practice oblique crunches - that is to the left and to the right).

Pushups - 34

Pullups - 3 (pullups have always been my nemesis. Likely because I weigh 211 lbs.)
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-07-07 at 07:39 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver

I've never tried a crunch, but I put a 22.5 lb dumbell between my feet rise up on my lower arms and raise my feet to horizontal 20 times. Pushups I quite at 150. As you say pullups are the pain (at 230) with my arms spread on the machine at the gym with 20lbs of cheat I can do 10. I think with my hands together I wouldn't need the help.

Joe

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm,
    your poll needs work, big guy. At 250 I can't do a pull up. But I am currently
    on a 5-6 day a week regimen. I am doing various pull down exercises at 120 at the moment, just as an example.

Over the winter I wil go from Nautilus crunches to Pilates ball crunches to incline crunches. Then the Spring comes and while I ride I lose it all...

At our age standards designed for kids don't make much sense. If I was making up a poll I would make the questions process oriented rather than goal oriented.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late
    Hmm,
    your poll needs work, big guy. At 250 I can't do a pull up. But I am currently
    on a 5-6 day a week regimen. I am doing various pull down exercises at 120 at the moment, just as an example.

Over the winter I wil go from Nautilus crunches to Pilates ball crunches to incline crunches. Then the Spring comes and while I ride I lose it all...

At our age standards designed for kids don't make much sense. If I was making up a poll I would make the questions process oriented rather than goal oriented.
    I haven't noticed you have written a poll recently??

Why not make up your own poll that meets your own needs?

It is easy to do.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-07-07 at 06:45 PM.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Poll DF.

I held HS record on sit-ups. Did 652 back in '63. took me 1 1/2 hr.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always been somewhat lacking in upper body strength, but I have been able to hold my ground so far against the passage of time.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crunches - no problem, Pushups - not too bad, Pullups - ugh
    Pullups are really hard when you weigh over 200lb. When I was younger and, more importantly, about 50lbs lighter I could probably do 20.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm impressed by the responders to the poll! Wow! What a group!

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I maxed out on all the levels. I used to rock climb and I am very active. I have also loss a lot of weight since March.

I am not back to being able to do one arm pull ups yet - but almost...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would have done more crunches, but I'm being check for a spigelian hernia this week. Some day I'll learn that I can't lift refrigerators like I used to.... I always thought that with age comes wisdom, however, this seems not to be the case for me. My psyche tells me I'm 30 something, but every now and again, my body say, "Ah, excuse me, but I can't do that." For the first time ever, I now know that my oldest son is physically stronger than I. Two years ago, that was not the case. Now the pull-ups were much easier. I practice them every day. Having a bar mounted in a doorway helps alot. I'm convinved that the more you practice a particular exercise the more you build very specific muscle groups, that may or may not be helpful with other activity.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to excercise in non-specific ways so that I don't isolate muscle groups. As you say, it might not be particularly helpful in other activity.

Rock climbing was a great excercise - It gave me an incredible grip and power throughout a range of motion. I am seriously thinking of building a rock gym down here (I used to have one in my garage.) My favorite form of the sport was bouldering, which is working on short, very intense problems, usually with nothing but a crash pad.

Eschew Obfuscation SesameCrunch's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron
    Good Poll DF.

I held HS record on sit-ups. Did 652 back in '63. took me 1 1/2 hr.
    !

Eschew Obfuscation SesameCrunch's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! This is a pretty fit group!

I maxed out on all three questions. However, I am currently rehabilitating from a mountain bike endo where I fractured my C5 vertebra and aggravated some nerves in my neck. Yesterday, I could barely do 10 pushups off a bench! Sigh. Guess I'll have to heal up and gradually get back to speed. The physical therapist says it'll take months before damaged nerves heal up. Aaargh.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll speak up. I refuse to participate as the only muscles I have above my waist are in my jaws from eating so much!!!! Crunches I can max out. Pullups and pushups??? P-l-e-e-e-z-z-e!!! I think you found one of my many weaknesses.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been most illuminating, and I might say, a bit surprising.

It looks as if the 50+ bike group (at least those who responded) is a rather strong group, blowing away any stereotypes of "weak upper body" bicyclers, and flabby 50+ people.

My congratulations!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DnvrFox,

I think most people at our age are not just cyclist - but enjoy a variety of activities. For example, I fish (river fishing mainly - which is a LOT of hiking), ride horses (to check out the fincas), walk a LOT, used to rock climb, now am starting tree climbing as a sport. Work with lumber - you get the idea.

About the only thing that looks small on me is my waist now, which I am very grateful to cycling for that change!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude
    DnvrFox,

I think most people at our age are not just cyclist - but enjoy a variety of activities. For example, I fish (river fishing mainly - which is a LOT of hiking), ride horses (to check out the fincas), walk a LOT, used to rock climb, now am starting tree climbing as a sport. Work with lumber - you get the idea.

About the only thing that looks small on me is my waist now, which I am very grateful to cycling for that change!
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. The research/surveys indicate that MOST people our age are not into any exercise, except spoon to mouth. The bicycling community may be a bit different. However, only 32 folks answered this poll - a small bit of the BFN 50+ group. Perhaps there was a self-selection as to those who answered?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The push ups and pull ups, no problem. The crunches however.... There seems to be this volleyball stuck inside my tee shirt. No wait...I believe that is my stomach. That's part of what the cycling is for, to thurn that volleyball into something smaller than a golf ball
    Michael

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, what a fit bunch of old timers!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"