Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2007 Wildflower Century - Creston, CA

I posted this in the So Cal thread and thought I would also post it here but warning - if interested - you must sign today. The ride sells out very fast!

BEST RIDE IN CALIFORNIA!!! If interested you must sign up January 8. Signups close out early!* * *

San Luis Obispo Bicycle Club
    Wildflower 2007 Ride - Saturday, April 28

Registration will open at midnight on the morning of January 8, 2007

Get the 2007 Wildflower Jersey as a memento of your experience!

Cruise through the green hills and secluded valleys of northeastern San Luis Obispo County. See California the way it was during the mission days. There are three route options: 50, 75 and 100-miles in length. All three routes begin in Creston and then weave through the roads east of Templeton before stopping for lunch at the northern outpost of Shandon. Return to Creston over rolling foothills facing a delightfully cooling afternoon breeze. Adventurous centurions can continue south on challenging and desolate mountain roads, finally completing a loop back to Creston and a well-deserved barbecue dinner. Come join us and see why we're considered the best ride in California. The Wildflower registration fee is only $45.00! There is no day-of-ride registration. Moreover, the ride is popular and sells-out quickly. Register early to assure yourself a place.

The SLOBC uses the funds from its rides to sponsor scholarships for the CalPoly Wheelmen and Shandon High School, support programs at Creston Elementary, contribute to the maintenance of mountain biking trails, support bicycle advocacy

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't signed up, it's too late. They were filled by 9:10am. Sometimes you can buy a registration from someone who can't make it.
    Make mine a double!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serious question here. What happens if you just ride along the same route with the others without being registered? I mean if the ride is really that good, wouldn't it make sense to try and ride the route when there are lots of other riders out there on the same day?
    Last edited by NOS88; 01-09-07 at 12:39 AM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Serious question here. What happens if you just ride along the same route with the others without being registered? I mean of the ride is really that good, wouldn't it make sense to try and ride the route when there are lots of other riders out there on the same day?
    Paying for the ride pays for all the support that isn't done by volunteers. I imagine if you didn't use any of their rest stops it might be okay.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    Paying for the ride pays for all the support that isn't done by volunteers. I imagine if you didn't use any of their rest stops it might be okay.
    Yeah, I know it pays for the support, etc. But if the ride registration is closed, and you wanted to do this ride, would you go anyway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I know it pays for the support, etc. But if the ride registration is closed, and you wanted to do this ride, would you go anyway?
    No, but that's for me to decide, for me.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you seriously want to do the ride, then tickets will become available closer to the ride date in late April.

Here's my take on banditing a ride... the Club that puts on this ride (SLOBC) does a fabulous job with their route marking, their sags, support etc. They donate lots of time and effort into making this one of California's premier events. The ride price, $45, is cheap considering you walk away from the event full of good food. No one stops you from riding the route with other riders and hopefully you would not use the sags etc. (keeping in mind much of this ride is in the middle of no where - not alot of gas stations - none in fact - to use the facilities or water up) but what happens if you get hurt along their route? Or cause someone else to get hurt? You get lost and need help coming back? Anyway - the routes are posted on the SLOBC site. Do it on your own time if you don't want to buy a ticket.

My 2 cents sorry for the soap box. But I love this ride and want to see it respected.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam
    If you seriously want to do the ride, then tickets will become available closer to the ride date in late April.

Here's my take on banditing a ride... the Club that puts on this ride (SLOBC) does a fabulous job with their route marking, their sags, support etc. They donate lots of time and effort into making this one of California's premier events. The ride price, $45, is cheap considering you walk away from the event full of good food. No one stops you from riding the route with other riders and hopefully you would not use the sags etc. (keeping in mind much of this ride is in the middle of no where - not alot of gas stations - none in fact - to use the facilities or water up) but what happens if you get hurt along their route? Or cause someone else to get hurt? You get lost and need help coming back? Anyway - the routes are posted on the SLOBC site. Do it on your own time if you don't want to buy a ticket.

My 2 cents sorry for the soap box. But I love this ride and want to see it respected.

I appreciate this post. Now that I know the ride is posted on their site, it makes it much easier not to "bandit" a ride. When I do group or organized ride now (those for which I've registered) I don't use the food stops along the way or at the end. (I find I ride much better on the chow I bring for my own unique tastes). What I've experienced for the first time this summer is ride organizers backtracking over their route and removing (covering up would be more accurate) their spray painted road guides. When I asked one guy about this, he said they didn't want others to know of the route, because they didn't want it to get too popular.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I've experienced for the first time this summer is ride organizers backtracking over their route and removing (covering up would be more accurate) their spray painted road guides. When I asked one guy about this, he said they didn't want others to know of the route, because they didn't want it to get too popular.
    Some areas are a bit touchy about spray painting directions on the side of the pavement, so that's why it might happen out here. Our race team marks our route, and the county sheriff's deputy showed up and almost issued a ticket.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Wildflower routes - 50, 75 and 100 have been basically the same for over 20 years. I know them all by heart. I don't even have to follow arrows anymore.

The SLOBC group is really good about sharing their routes with everyone. What you are looking for is the Creston to Shandon ride. I'm pretty sure its on the website.