Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Your nominations, please! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/259807-your-nominations-please.html)

CrossChain 01-11-07 01:00 AM

Seems trivial and more than 10 years ago.....

but water bottle plastic that is inertly neutral and doesn't make the water taste like essence of plastique. And, for that matter, energy and fluid replacement drinks and gels and such to replace defizzed coke and YooHoo....though peanut butter-and-crackers or grapes are timeless.

Greater variety of saddles including slotted.

More efficient brake pads.

lycra not wool shorts.

more chicks on bikes.

aero cable routing.

better, quieter trainers.

Better shoes and in American sizes.

"Club-fit" jerseys!

Big Paulie 01-11-07 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Brifters are great...
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../triumph01.jpg
...for me to poop on!

:D :D :D

berts 01-11-07 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
It's hard to argue that cycling hasn't changed dramatically since way back when we were playing vinyl records, actually dialing our telephones, and changing channels on the TV by getting up and walking over to the TV.

What would you nominate as the best innovation(s) in bicycling in the past ten years or so?

One of my nominations would be the proliferation of all the different kinds of bikes -- road, cyclo, mountain, hybrid, comfort, cruiser, and even the subcategories within each of these. Mind boggling!

While I have not entered the realm of MTB or bents, I do argue that cycling hasn't changed dramatically. Technology and its influence on components, frame material and computerization have left the bicycle and its innate beauty unscathed, still providing a most efficient and enjoyable means of travel as it did 10, 20, 50 years ago.

bkaapcke 01-11-07 01:45 PM

It has to be long wheelbase recumbents. The comfort is ablolutely unmatched. Next, it's gripshifters. bk

Artkansas 01-11-07 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bud Bent
All the new recumbents, of course.

And now some recumbents are actually affordable. :D

mollusk 01-11-07 02:33 PM

The best thing that has happened to cycling in the US in the last ten years is Armstrong winning TdF's. I've found that the road experience is much friendlier vis-a-vis motorized traffic since Lance made the typical American aware that there might be people on bikes on the road and that they belong there. Before Lance the rate of angry encounters on the road was orders of magnitude higher.

John E 01-11-07 02:44 PM

For me, the only significant improvements are KoolStop brake pads, low-compression brake cable housings, and reliable high-performance clincher tires. There is nothing that integrated brake-sifters can do that a good set of nonindexed barcons can't do as well or better. I have severe safety reservations about some of the new materials, particularly carbon fiber. I am also disappointed that today's market offers only a few practical road bikes that are not overbred for all-out racing. I'll keep my classics, thank you. :)

I do like aero brake cable routing, but only because it boosts leverage by about 10%.

Blackberry 01-11-07 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by CrossChain

"Club-fit" jerseys!

+2

BlazingPedals 01-11-07 03:02 PM

Shimano STI (brifters?) have been around for more than 10 years, more like 12 or so. I put them on my last road bike in '95 or '96 - and that wasn't the first year they were out. My vote would be disc brakes - awesome stopping power, longer pad life, and they work in the rain!

spry 01-11-07 05:00 PM

Brifters are great...
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../triumph01.jpg
...for me to poop on!

+1 :) :) :)

megaman 01-11-07 07:32 PM

I would say tadpole trikes, but they've been around for about 17 years.... So then it'd have to be disc brakes.

TysonB 01-11-07 07:48 PM

1. Modern wheel/tire combos.

2. Good brakes.

I have the first on Mimi. My brakes still suck. (They call them Mafac "Racers" because they don't slow much!!:D )

Tyson

BluesDawg 01-11-07 07:52 PM

$70 full-suspension mountain bikes at Wallyworld!
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4231518

Paydirt 01-11-07 08:14 PM

Lance Armstrong.

He has done for cycling what Tiger Woods has done for golf. He's made the everyday Joe aware that cycling is not just for geeks and done wonders for bike sales and all different types of cycling along with the higher end lightweight stuff. Without Lance, the volumes for all this cool stuff isn't there to sell and justify for companies to make.

roccobike 01-11-07 08:23 PM

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4231518

:roflmao: :roflmao: :beer: :roflmao: :roflmao:

roccobike 01-11-07 08:26 PM

If I'm allowed to stretch it back a little more than 10 years, I would vote for the oil bath rebound, air chamber, suspension fork, followed by dual suspension MTBs, notwithstanding X-Mart dual suspension bicycle objects.
Edit: I would have said Lance Armstrong, but that was already taken, (good one Paydirt!)

Wildwood 01-11-07 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
What would you nominate as the best innovation(s) in bicycling?

Pneumatic tires, without a doubt. Followed by tire pumps.

Tom Bombadil 01-11-07 11:38 PM

I'll take a half-dozen for $420.

That price does shed some light on how cheap the various parts can be made. To think they could buy all of those parts, ship them overseas, distribute via truck all over America, have someone assemble them in the store, stock them for a few weeks before selling them, and still make a profit at $70 boggles the mind.

John E 01-12-07 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Pneumatic tires, without a doubt. ...

... and macadam road surfaces; two great Scottish inventions. :)

John E 01-12-07 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Pneumatic tires, without a doubt. Followed by tire pumps.

... and the invention I most want to see in the future is a reliable, light-weight, high-performance non-pneumatic tire. :)

Terex 01-12-07 10:09 AM

Gotta go with brifters (+/- 10 yrs, whatever) on road bikes, and discs on mtn bikes (also with indexed shifters :) )

chromedome 01-12-07 10:13 AM

Modern scandals and controversy. Granted, we've always had scandal, but now we get frequent up-to-the-minute updates! And Lance's personal life. Or Tyler's. Or anybody else on a bike. Or off a bike. And the excuses! I love the excuses! "Wha? Who, me? Nah, it has to be wrong. Haven't you read the papers? I'm a hero!"

Also, if I still have the oppurtunity, I'd like to nominate all the tasteless food supplements designed for all of us recreational and elite athletes. I never could have imagined that food-like ingredients could have been shoved together into a wad, packaged into a future piece of litter and sold (mostly without costly marketing) at an overly inflated price. Pure brilliance! Of course, we are all savvy enough to know that the truly organic food wads--the ones that are actually good for us--are packaged in dull brown wrappers, but the ones that are just strictly marketed for capitalist purposes of making a buck for the genius that created them are wrapped in pretty shiney metalic wrappers.
In the future, I'd like to see virtual shifting.

howsteepisit 01-12-07 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by John E
... and macadam road surfaces; two great Scottish inventions. :)

Seems to me, the finest Scottish invention is Scottish Ale!

Cassave 01-12-07 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Seems to me, the finest Scottish invention is Scottish Ale!

Islay Single Malt

Red Baron 01-12-07 05:06 PM

I was waiting for someone to say EPO and testoserone and glad no one did.

Its not even funny.