Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How cold was it?

I rode to coffee this morning with air temp of 8F and wind chill of -21F. Blowing snow on streets so took the mtn bike. Only 2 miles round trip so only face got cold. Anyone else mentally challenged enough to ride in this insane cold spell?
    Treks, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

My Bikes
    Fisher Rail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell, it's down in the 30's here in the San Francisco Bay Area, and my bike hasn't seen the road in a month! Growing up in Minnesota, we had a phrase for people who did stuff like ride bicycles in snowmobile weather: "nut job"!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No ride for a few days. Temp up in the 50's but so is the wind. Lots of damage around the area.

We have had winds since the beginning of December but Currently too high to ride in and Lots of rain and flooding.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quite as cold here near Philadelphia. It was 20 degrees with wind chill factor taking it to 8 degrees. I did a brisk 16 mile ride before I had to get into the office. Didn't run into to too many ice patches, which always makes me happy.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itwas 0F this morning, a high of 3 is forcast with a low -10 tonight. About 8" of snow last night. I did get in my "resistance" work by shoveling out the driveway and the walks and patio. I really notice that since I have been riding consistantly doing things like snow shoveling is a lot easier thenit used to be.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live near DC. It was so cold this morning the politicians had their hands in their own pockets.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to bicycle commute year around in Michigan and regularly rode in that kind of weather. My commute was about 3 miles, round trip, so, like a77 it was only long enough to get my face cold. Nowadays, I'll still do the occasional short evening ride in it, usually 5 miles or less, as long as the wind isn't too bad.

My Bikes
    Surly Pugsley,Mongoose Hybrid, Nashbar road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was 20 this morning but with no wind it was no big deal. So far there was only one day this season were the windchill was near zero F.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was 27 F / -3 C this morning as I started off to work. There was a very large frozen water spill on Columbia Pike, so I got a chance to hear the studs go quiet for the first time this winter. It felt, briefly, like winter cycling.

Paul

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overcast, but not raining this morning. Temperature? I didn't even notice. Couldn't have been that cold then I guess.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    24 degrees this morning at 5:20 in NC. I told myself that this year if it is below 30, no exercise ride and so I just went back to bed after checking the radio remote temperature gauge on my dressing room chest.
    Tomorrow, mid 30's so back at it. Sat warming up into the 60's good day for a 40-50 mile ride.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't there someone who frequents BF from Canada who rides at temps down as low as minus 30F? I did a 0F ride once. Lasted 10 miles. Nowdays I rarely ride at temps below freezing. FWIW, Cyclingnews.com had a great article by a Canadian PhD physiologist stating that at temps below freezing it is nearly impossible to get a GOOD workout.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode to work this morning - dry and upper 20's but got up into 40's this afternoon for the ride home (but with a headwind - even on a 'bent it's still a headwind). Hadn't ridden to work in January for at least ten years but things are pretty mild this year.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still abnormally warm here in Wisconsin, got into the mid-40s today. But a bit of cold is on its way. Predictions are Monday 21/5, Tuesday 16/5. But that's not bad for this time of year. Supposed to go back to above normal after that.

And after that, I'm going to Disney World!!! Well, I'm going to Florida.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode to coffee this morning air temp -3F, wind chill -12F, felt colder than yesterday which was -21F wind chill. Needless to say it's trainer time for the daily ride.
    Treks, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeow! I feel like a wuss reading posts like "-3 this morning......"
    My commute this morning was pretty cold for these parts (32F just before sunrise) with a little headwind making it feel colder. Had to wear a heavy jersey AND a vest.

My Bikes
    Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How cold was it here in Denver this morning? when I turned on the shower - I got hail!
    I ride to coast !!!

My Bikes
    Electra townie 21 Cannondale Synapse 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did 17 miles in 26F the other morning. I was wearing poly shirt, sweatshirt, and breatheable rain jacket. there was so much sweat that the sweatshirt seemed like it weighed 3 lbs. the back of my jeans was soaked. My feet get cold even in leather boots with goretex and thinsolate and heavy socks.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    I live near DC. It was so cold this morning the politicians had their hands in their own pockets.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It was so cold in DC this morning that a heavy fog formed around the Capitol Bldg and the White House from the hot air output!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    Torelli, Bianchi Trofeo, De Rosa, Specialized Expedition Touring, Colnago Cross, Motobecane Grand Jubile & Grand Record, Miyata 710, 2 Titans, Raleigh Super Course, 3Rensho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12F this morning & we had a high of 31F so I did some more time on my Bianchi/Blackburn (my kind of hybrid) & only went out back with the dogs a few times. Our lake is frozen over but it's still thin ice. Don

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are making me cold. I got out today, it was 46 degrees in the Oley Valley. Just a light jacket over a long sleeve T shirt, over a regular T shirt. Still using my half gloves. I might get out Saturday for a sort ride, but looking at long range forecast, I may be shuting down till March. I rode last year till Feb 1 and shut down till Mar 20. I believe Almanac calls for an early spring. So we will see. But below 40 degrees for me is the cut off. I don't have to go out when it's cold, so I don't. Actually broke another spoke today, so I got an excuse to stay in besides the weather.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minus 5F here now; 20 mph wind = minus 28F wind chill. Very light fine snow coming down. I can't even imagine riding a bike outside in these conditions (plus it is very dark ) Still thinking of Costa Rica.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pillsbury

A few years ago I was on the campus of University of Alaska in Fairbanks. Home is Seattle, so, I'm familiar with rides in chilly rain, gosh, almost down to freezing. But commuters from the university were pedalling at -40 Farenheit. They were "dressed" in puffy layers and evoked visions of a bicycle mounted Pillsbury Doughboy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    St Louis was 15F this AM. I cut my rides off at about 30F unless wind is non-existant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast