Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-11-07, 10:28 AM   #1
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes:
How cold was it?

I rode to coffee this morning with air temp of 8F and wind chill of -21F. Blowing snow on streets so took the mtn bike. Only 2 miles round trip so only face got cold. Anyone else mentally challenged enough to ride in this insane cold spell?
a77impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 10:55 AM   #2
goaliedad30

Bikes: Fisher Rail
Hell, it's down in the 30's here in the San Francisco Bay Area, and my bike hasn't seen the road in a month! Growing up in Minnesota, we had a phrase for people who did stuff like ride bicycles in snowmobile weather: "nut job"!

goaliedad30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 11:01 AM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
No ride for a few days. Temp up in the 50's but so is the wind. Lots of damage around the area.

We have had winds since the beginning of December but Currently too high to ride in and Lots of rain and flooding.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 11:13 AM   #4
NOS88

Bikes:
Not quite as cold here near Philadelphia. It was 20 degrees with wind chill factor taking it to 8 degrees. I did a brisk 16 mile ride before I had to get into the office. Didn't run into to too many ice patches, which always makes me happy.
Old 01-11-07, 12:27 PM   #5
howsteepisit

Bikes: Mecian
Itwas 0F this morning, a high of 3 is forcast with a low -10 tonight. About 8" of snow last night. I did get in my "resistance" work by shoveling out the driveway and the walks and patio. I really notice that since I have been riding consistantly doing things like snow shoveling is a lot easier thenit used to be.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 12:34 PM   #6
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
I live near DC. It was so cold this morning the politicians had their hands in their own pockets.
Old 01-11-07, 12:43 PM   #7
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
I used to bicycle commute year around in Michigan and regularly rode in that kind of weather. My commute was about 3 miles, round trip, so, like a77 it was only long enough to get my face cold. Nowadays, I'll still do the occasional short evening ride in it, usually 5 miles or less, as long as the wind isn't too bad.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 01:31 PM   #8
Joe1946

Bikes: Surly Pugsley,Mongoose Hybrid, Nashbar road bike
It was 20 this morning but with no wind it was no big deal. So far there was only one day this season were the windchill was near zero F.
Joe1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 02:06 PM   #9
PaulH

Bikes:
It was 27 F / -3 C this morning as I started off to work. There was a very large frozen water spill on Columbia Pike, so I got a chance to hear the studs go quiet for the first time this winter. It felt, briefly, like winter cycling.

Paul
PaulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 02:16 PM   #10
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Overcast, but not raining this morning. Temperature? I didn't even notice. Couldn't have been that cold then I guess.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 02:29 PM   #11
p8rider

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
24 degrees this morning at 5:20 in NC. I told myself that this year if it is below 30, no exercise ride and so I just went back to bed after checking the radio remote temperature gauge on my dressing room chest.
Tomorrow, mid 30's so back at it. Sat warming up into the 60's good day for a 40-50 mile ride.
p8rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 02:50 PM   #12
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Isn't there someone who frequents BF from Canada who rides at temps down as low as minus 30F? I did a 0F ride once. Lasted 10 miles. Nowdays I rarely ride at temps below freezing. FWIW, Cyclingnews.com had a great article by a Canadian PhD physiologist stating that at temps below freezing it is nearly impossible to get a GOOD workout.
RockyMtnMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 07:41 PM   #13
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Rode to work this morning - dry and upper 20's but got up into 40's this afternoon for the ride home (but with a headwind - even on a 'bent it's still a headwind). Hadn't ridden to work in January for at least ten years but things are pretty mild this year.
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 07:48 PM   #14
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Still abnormally warm here in Wisconsin, got into the mid-40s today. But a bit of cold is on its way. Predictions are Monday 21/5, Tuesday 16/5. But that's not bad for this time of year. Supposed to go back to above normal after that.

And after that, I'm going to Disney World!!! Well, I'm going to Florida.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 10:53 AM   #15
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes:
Rode to coffee this morning air temp -3F, wind chill -12F, felt colder than yesterday which was -21F wind chill. Needless to say it's trainer time for the daily ride.
a77impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 11:38 AM   #16
Cassave

Bikes:
Yeow! I feel like a wuss reading posts like "-3 this morning......"
My commute this morning was pretty cold for these parts (32F just before sunrise) with a little headwind making it feel colder. Had to wear a heavy jersey AND a vest.
Cassave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 01:16 PM   #17
bentnail
Been around

Bikes: Recumbent
How cold was it here in Denver this morning? when I turned on the shower - I got hail!
bentnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 04:04 PM   #18
airbrake

Bikes: Electra townie 21 Cannondale Synapse 3
I did 17 miles in 26F the other morning. I was wearing poly shirt, sweatshirt, and breatheable rain jacket. there was so much sweat that the sweatshirt seemed like it weighed 3 lbs. the back of my jeans was soaked. My feet get cold even in leather boots with goretex and thinsolate and heavy socks.
airbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 08:42 PM   #19
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry
I live near DC. It was so cold this morning the politicians had their hands in their own pockets.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 08:45 PM   #20
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
It was so cold in DC this morning that a heavy fog formed around the Capitol Bldg and the White House from the hot air output!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 10:03 PM   #21
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!
12F this morning & we had a high of 31F so I did some more time on my Bianchi/Blackburn (my kind of hybrid) & only went out back with the dogs a few times. Our lake is frozen over but it's still thin ice. Don
ollo_ollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 10:53 PM   #22
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
You guys are making me cold. I got out today, it was 46 degrees in the Oley Valley. Just a light jacket over a long sleeve T shirt, over a regular T shirt. Still using my half gloves. I might get out Saturday for a sort ride, but looking at long range forecast, I may be shuting down till March. I rode last year till Feb 1 and shut down till Mar 20. I believe Almanac calls for an early spring. So we will see. But below 40 degrees for me is the cut off. I don't have to go out when it's cold, so I don't. Actually broke another spoke today, so I got an excuse to stay in besides the weather.
guybierhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 11:23 PM   #23
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Minus 5F here now; 20 mph wind = minus 28F wind chill. Very light fine snow coming down. I can't even imagine riding a bike outside in these conditions (plus it is very dark ) Still thinking of Costa Rica.
RockyMtnMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 08:42 PM   #24
DKVN

Bikes:
Pillsbury

A few years ago I was on the campus of University of Alaska in Fairbanks. Home is Seattle, so, I'm familiar with rides in chilly rain, gosh, almost down to freezing. But commuters from the university were pedalling at -40 Farenheit. They were "dressed" in puffy layers and evoked visions of a bicycle mounted Pillsbury Doughboy.
DKVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 07:06 AM   #25
Wildwood

Bikes: see signature
St Louis was 15F this AM. I cut my rides off at about 30F unless wind is non-existant.
Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote