User Tag List

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attention jppe! Attention jppe!

Hey this showed up in my inbox today. Was wondering if you think he can do it? Would you think of being one of the 11? The Ed referred to is 60 year old Ed Pavelka of RoadBikeRider.com. Sounds darn scary to me.

The "Impossible" Ride

Well, Paris-Brest-Paris is certainly possible. Thousands succeed each time. You don't need to be super fast or super strong. It takes fitness, endurance and a never-say-die attitude (and maybe some of that strong French coffee).

Ed will need all that and more for Big Event No. 3 on his '07 schedule. Some who've heard about it have even called it "impossible."

The ride will be supported by Paul Wood of Black Bear Adventures, a company that offers more than a dozen tours on the Blue Ridge and Natchez Trace Parkways. These are arguably the two finest roads for cycling in the U.S. The combination of minimal traffic (commercial vehicles aren't permitted), good road surface, no turns or stop signs, and majestic mountain scenery makes the riding spectacular.

The course is the 470-mile-long Blue Ridge Parkway, extending from Waynesboro, Virginia, to Asheville, North Carolina. Ed will attempt to ride it in two days, Aug. 7-8.

First day: 241 miles (388 km). Second day: 229 miles (367 km). Total elevation gain: 50,000+ feet (15,160+ meters).

Ed says, "Gulp!"

Paul created this two-day ride as a way to help Ed peak for Paris-Brest-Paris. Ed wanted something major to shoot for between the end of the Elite Tour and PBP. Back-to-back rides of 215 miles worked well for him in past PBP years. But they were shorter than this one and had only half the climbing.

Paul calls the ride "Ed's Great Adventure." He can accept 11 other roadies. There'll be support along the way, comfortable accommodations overnight and guaranteed tough riding between dawn and dusk. The reward is a major lifetime cycling accomplishment -- the Blue Ridge in two days . . . if it's possible!

For info, click http://www.blackbearadventures.com/Ed'sGreatAdventure.html. If this ride is a bit too crazy for you, check the other Black Bear Adventures tours. Same great roads, much saner daily doses.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it has been done in shorter time periods!!

Could I do it???? Heck no..... In fact I was thinking of riding it over a period of a week with my son in the van going ahead of me and setting up camp every day!!! But there are Ultra cyclists that do these rides and if they had 48 hours with sag support they could tackle it. Fortunately there aren't any climbs that are too terribly steep but there are some pretty long climbs at 6-7%. I would think any climb after a couple hundred miles would feel pretty steep though!! The worst part would be getting back on the bike the morning of the second day. Good grief. If they're going from North to South there are some really good climbs facing them the second day.

Plus doing it the first of August is catching the hottest time of the year. It can get in the mid to high 80's with a lot of humidity along the BRP that time of the year.

Here's a link on one fellow's ride and setting the time record on riding it start to finish. Pretty incredible.

http://www.ultracycling.com/records/...ecord2000.html

Thanks for passing along the info!

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome. 6-7% at 8000-10000 ft elevation is good for me for about 3-4 miles and that is at a pretty slow pace! Those guys are truly hard cases!