Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding your (my) age

No matter what a person's age is, riding it in January, when my birthday is, can be a challenge. So I decided that this year, when a nice day came, I would just do it. That was yesterday and I am happy to report that me and the Cannondale managed to make 65 miles in just over 4 hours on trails here in the DC area. It was cold, but not too windy and when it was all over, I had a Pete's Wicked Ale and a nice hunk of pie (with dinner in between). This was only my second year for riding my age, and I fully intend to keep it up until they pry my cold, dead fingers from the handlebars. I can't think of a better way to celebrate one's birthday--whether it is the right date or not.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Idea! My sons birthday's are Nov 23 & Dec 16th. Mines in early June. Soooo once they were around 5 to 10, they, wife (now Ex) and I shared my birthday with them with cake and Ice Cream - I got the present- a "Day out with them" Best birthday Present(s) I ever received. They are in their 30's now and reminded me of it on their last birthday(s).

BTW- you don't look 65, ya must of added a few miles.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats on your birthday ride. I'm looking forward to mine in July. It's always a pleasure no matter the season!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm starting to plan mine for April - the big 6-0. I think I will try to make it a club ride with catered rest stops.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron

BTW- you don't look 65, ya must of added a few miles.
    It was taken last summer--I'm the one with the sunglasses, by the way, the young one is my granson, Gus. Thanks for the compliment.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the birthday and the ride. Very, very well done. That just a great picture of Gus and his Grandpa......a real keeper!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with riding your age on a different date. I'm also a january Kid and I did mine a week early this year. Still chose the wrong day as it Rained with winds, So give me a nice Autumn day and I'll try it again, but offroad. That was my concession this year- I did it on the road.

Well done and 65miles in 4 hours is not a bad time.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bottecchia CF frame and fork, Ultegra 6603 crank and FD, DuraAce RD, Easton Vista wheels, Brooks B-17 saddle, Shimano 105 brakes, Michelin Pro2 Race tires
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    No matter what a person's age is, riding it in January, when my birthday is, can be a challenge.
    I rode on my birthday, which was Jan 1. It was warmer that day, but we hit some heavy rain about 1 hour into the ride, and it rained off and on for about 2 hours. Still lots of fun, though.

But a birth date during the riding season might be better.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    I fully intend to keep it up until they pry my cold, dead fingers from the handlebars.

Hey, I wonder if I can get a bumper sticker that says, "You can have my bike when you pry my cold, dead fingers from the handlebars"?

Congrats on your birthday and the ride.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright