Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knee Replacement, too much snow and other thoughts of a 50+'r

Knee Replacement, too much snow and other thoughts of a 50+'r (Actually a 67 yr older)

On Monday, my wife will be undergoing a total left knee replacement. To say she is a bit uptight about this would be like saying the Grand Canyon is a hole in the backyard. Several days recently I have not been able to do one single thing right. I understand her nervousness, but WOW!! To top it off, my youngest son seems to be having some sort of esophagus problem, and is going to have to have a scope soon under anesthesia. And, today she had a 3 hour root canal - the infection had to be gone before her surgery. She is in some pain at the moment.

And the snow! They took most of the snow off of the street and used a front-end loader to pile it on the already deeply snow-covered lawns. We now have 7 foot piles of snow on all of our yards up and down the street. Temp tonight is supposed to be 8 below zero and it is snowing lightly. At least the side streets no longer have so many 8-10 inch deep icy ruts which bounce your car around, and cause you to slip and slide (the main roads are fine, however)! Our small town has spent almost a million dollars in excess snow removal costs. They are dumping the snow from areas where they have no place to put it onto a large open area right near here, and are using dump tucks . The other day, on my walk, there were 14 contracted dump trucks lined up ready to go on their daily runs.

It has been a long time since I have ridden - this is most unusual, as generally I can ride every week of the year around here. I have this desperate need to get out, so I can't stand the trainer. I have been taking long 1.5 hour walks in the snow in our local open space and trail areas, sometimes breaking tracks through a lot of snow. This is invigorating and also gets my heart rate up. It is beautiful, though, going through the trails with the snow covered fields.

Well, we will see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-13-07 at 05:58 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang in there, big guy. You're strong and you've got friends. Godspeed.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wishing you and Mrs. Fox the best. FWIW, every person I have talked with that has had a knee replaced commented "I only wish I had done it sooner". I hope we get the same report from you in a few weeks.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't let it get you down. Sometimes things start happening all at the same time and it can be overwhelming. You've got to roll with the punches and things will get taken care of, like they always do.

I know a woman in her early 70's who recently had both hers replaced, she's doing fine. Like Terrierman said... she wishes she hadn't waited so long.

Here's wishing Mrs. Fox all the best and a speedy recovery.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang in there, Dnvr! As I'm sitting here feeling like I was punched in the stomach (umbilical hernia surgery yesterday), listening to the freezing rain, my day still doesn't sound as tough as yours.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    Wishing you and Mrs. Fox the best. FWIW, every person I have talked with that has had a knee replaced commented "I only wish I had done it sooner". I hope we get the same report from you in a few weeks.
    I've heard the same thing.

Dnvrfox, with all that's going on in your life right now you need things like riding to help keep you balanced. Like my wife says, if mama ain't happy there ain't gonna be anyone happy. Therefore borrow a flamethrower and melt the snow off your trail. That'll keep you out of the Mrs. way and you'll get to go riding!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dnvr, you and your wife and family have been through a fair share of adversity together. And you are all still here and living serious, productive, rewarding lives. One more thing to wake up on the other side of. Hang in as you always do. You'll be picnicking together again soon enough.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang tough, there, guy... Just keep walking until you can get back out on your wheels again
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the thoughts! I appreciate them.

-8 F (-22 C) this am and snowing, so I actually did my 45 minutes on the trainer. It wasn't so bad.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-13-07 at 07:27 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang in there Denver, we are all pulling for you and your family! It's been -20 the last two nights here in Bozeman, and there is snow and ice all about. Maybe enven enough for me to try out my snowshoes!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    Hang in there Denver, we are all pulling for you and your family! It's been -20 the last two nights here in Bozeman, and there is snow and ice all about. Maybe enven enough for me to try out my snowshoes!
    Well, after the trainer I decided to do a walk. It was gorgeous, and I will post a couple of pics shortly!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-13-07 at 10:28 AM.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're gonna have to figure out some way to have a fund raiser and get Dnvrfox a Surly Pugsley. This could be the answer to winter time blues.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/s...ley/index.html

Hang in there friend.
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 01-13-07 at 10:30 AM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    We're gonna have to figure out some way to have a fund raiser and get Dnvrfox a Surly Pugsely. This could be the answer to winter time blues.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/s...ley/index.html

Hang in there friend.
    OK, where do folks send their money?

My Bikes
    Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    i know a guy who used to live in Bozeman,Jim Delzer was his name, don't know him do you?

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.2, Trek 4500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dnvr, tell your wife not to worry about a thing. I had two total knee replacements--one in 1999 and the other in 2002. I was 55 for the first one and 58 for the second. Some pain the first couple of days after that a piece of cake. She should wake up after the operation with her leg in a "motion machine". The idea of that is to stretch and keep the leg muscles and ligaments as flexible as possible. Tell her to use that machine as much as she can. I found out that the trick to a speedy recovery.

In the hospital they throw you out bed the next day and the first time I was a little scared but its all to help get you moving as soon as possible.

The Rehab joint I went to was great-- those places know how to work with you -- only drawback was not being able to take a REAL shower for the first week.

I drove my truck the second day after I got home after both operations. Six months from now she will be saying--
    "I WISH I WOULD HAVE HAD IT DONE SOONER". Living without that constant pain is a Godsend.

I am 63 now and so far no problems with the knees--I let my weight creep up to 337# (now down to 295#) and no problem with my legs. Riding a bike is great, the more I ride the better I feel. I'm shooting 250 by the end of the year.

Again tell her not to worry--they undoubtedly have newer techniques now than when I had mine done. They even had an updated replacement knee from my first one to my second time around.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are better days ahead Dnvr!! I just hope they get here pretty quickly for you. Tell the Ms she's going to do just fine. Especially since she has the most helpful husband to get her back going again very quickly. Hey, if things get too gloomy just strike up a song!!