Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Plans?

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summer Plans?

Anybody got any summer plans lined up?

I'm hoping to go on the Rural Ride in Indiana www.triri.org Think about it if you're looking for a laid-back but challenging enough week of fun and adventure.

The ride is nicely-supported along quiet roads with great people. it includes camping or hotel options. Here's my blog from last year's ride: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=1750&v=oj

What else do people have going?
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great blog, Blackberry. Those classic car photos brought back memories. I used to make service calls on Auburn Gear. I always flew into Fort Wayne and drove to Auburn. Those other photos reminded me that I'd seen more really old barns in that area than anywhere else I've been. That looks like a fun ride.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    I'll teach in a study abroad course in Duesseldorf, Germany the month of June. Arranging the schedule now so that there is a long weekend in central/north Holland (Arnhem, Apeldoorn) and a long weekend in Berlin (Potsdam, Sanssouci) so my favorite wife will fly over for 2 weeks and we'll credit-card bike tour a couple of times.

It is always a dilemna whether to take my bike (now it's a Surly LHT) or just try to rent / buy one there...the dilemna is finding airlines where I can fly all the way through and not change airlines. In my experience, if I change airlines, the 'free' transatlantic bike shipping is only to the end of that airline's travel leg and the next carrier charges exorbitant freight. It happened between American and Lufthansa in London last year.

But getting to ride your bike is THE way to see Europe, right, Blackberry?

Woody
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved the blog. My favorite picture is the one of the riders passing the cemetery. My summer plans include the San Francisco to Los Angleles AIDS/LifeCycle in June. It will be my third year. I'll post pictures then.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are planning to take a supported tour of northern Wisconsin during the first week in August. This year it's organized so that we only change hotels every other day. I think that I'm going to like that. I can't remember the name of the company. I think that it's "Bike Wisconsin" or "Cycle Across Wisconsin" or maybe even "Dr. Pedal Tours". At any rate, we've made this trip a couple of times previously so we obviously have enjoyed it and have been satisfied with the service that's provided for the cost involved.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holiday this year is planned in France and by Co-incidence it is in a hilly area. There is a slope called Mt. Ventoux within riding distance so the road bike is going with me.

Now if it is Close enough to Dusseldorf- and the dates match up- Then I suppose I could always take the Tandem and put slicks on it for Centexwoody to see if his legs are as stong as Mine.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan to spend my summer in a hot blur of steamy libertine sexual activity, with the kind of intensity that's rivaled only by a championship match at Wimbleton. This may, or may not, involve some cycling.

(I've had this plan for every summer since puberty, and one of these days, it's going to come true.)
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning a couple week long rides this summer. I'm already registered for XOBA but the Michigan shoreline tour is still in the planning stage.

http://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/xoba/
    http://www.lmb.org/pages/Events/ShorelinePages/West.htm

On Saturday mornings during warmer months I help lead rides for the local park system. They're 10-20 mile rides geared toward families and recreational riders. The only other rides will be the usual club rides.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Now if it is Close enough to Dusseldorf- and the dates match up- Then I suppose I could always take the Tandem and put slicks on it for Centexwoody to see if his legs are as stong as Mine.
    Oh, Lawdy, Lawdy! Is Stepfam calling me out?

Okay, since I've never ridden a tandem farther than around the block, I'm up for the adventure! May 29th to June 29th - or maybe I'll come down to France and watch you climb Ventoux and cheer you on...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great blog, Blackberry. Riding out the storm in the barn must have really been something!
    This summer I'll be doing BRAG (Bicycle Ride Across Georgia) again, but this time my son and a few members of our club will be joining me. My wife is smarter, she'll meet us in Savannah at the end.
    http://www.brag.org/brag.html

I'm also going to be racing mountain bikes this year for the first time ever. I think I must have lost my mind!
    http://s161425410.onlinehome.us/2007...FLIER-main.pdf
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia CF frame and fork, Ultegra 6603 crank and FD, DuraAce RD, Easton Vista wheels, Brooks B-17 saddle, Shimano 105 brakes, Michelin Pro2 Race tires
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    This summer I'll be doing BRAG (Bicycle Ride Across Georgia) again, but this time my son and a few members of our club will be joining me.
    I hope to do BRAG this summer as well, and my son will likely join me as well. It should be a fun time.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In May, my son, Tim and his wife, Amy, are scheduled to receive a rather prestigious award in San Francisco. We would like to drive out and then go on a tour of the Northern CA/Oregon coastlines, of course taking our bikes for day trips along the way. However, Tim and Amy have mentioned our flying out with them. So, we will see which works best.

The biking would be dependent upon Nora's knee replacement going OK.

Also, this summer I will continue to lead weekly rides for the "seniors" group at our church - generally 15-25 mile rides.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    Oh, Lawdy, Lawdy! Is Stepfam calling me out?

Okay, since I've never ridden a tandem farther than around the block, I'm up for the adventure! May 29th to June 29th - or maybe I'll come down to France and watch you climb Ventoux and cheer you on...
    Start Holiday 0n 14th June for 10 days or so. Not calling you out but it is a possibility that we could meet up sometime. How tall are you- What inside leg- What pedals do you use and how much Cotes De Rhone can you drink?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got several plans for this Summer with none of them solidified yet, but getting there. I want to go to PA for a bent rally in June, take tandem tour of the Rockies in July, another bent rally in Wisconsin in August, and then the Midwest Tandem Rally on Labor Day weekend. If I don't do some part-time contract work, then I'll probably throw in a few more rallys or short tours. Looks to be a fun year.
    Dennis T

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of local rides, here in ND - "Bike the Border" and "CANDISC" and, iof course the all time fun ride we found last year, the Mikkleson Trek in the Black hills in Sept. Also the St. Paul Classic in St. Paul and the "Defeat of Jesse James" ride in Minnesota, and still looking for others.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RAIN (Ride Across INdiana) July 13th. Also a group trip on the Natchez Trace for 4-5 days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We spend four long weekends on Ocracoke Island, NC. Since we fly there and there are no rental cars available, these weekends constitute a cycling vacation, and usually includes at least one 14 mile round trip ride to visit the ponies on the far end of the island. We have gotten quite proficient at transporting one child, three chairs, a beach umbrella, and assorted cameras, sun lotion, books, towels, etc. by bike.

Paul

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know,
    I have been thinking about that. I would like to ride from Portland Me to Burligton Vt; but the girls think that's a bit much. If we aren't ready for a trip that challenging; I have been working on an alternative. The problem is trip planning.
    We have done many of the easy to plan trips in the area. Coming up with something new every year is becoming as challenging as the trip.

I have been trying to plan a loop for years that would take us into northern NH; and perhaps just a bit of Canada.
    This might be the year.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to do my first century. Something flat to start with; maybe the Hancock Horizontal Hundred in NW Ohio.

Maybe one of the Shoreline West tours here in MI too; I've heard they're great rides.

And I'd like to take my fixed gear on some of my regular club rides. Also would like to commute to work on my fixie starting this Spring; got a part-time job only a couple miles from home.

In general: ride more, ride further, ride faster, and burn off the pie!
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    I'm planning a couple week long rides this summer. I'm already registered for XOBA but the Michigan shoreline tour is still in the planning stage.

http://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/xoba/
    http://www.lmb.org/pages/Events/ShorelinePages/West.htm

On Saturday mornings during warmer months I help lead rides for the local park system. They're 10-20 mile rides geared toward families and recreational riders. The only other rides will be the usual club rides.
    I did XOBA in '04 and '05. Nice rides. My pic in the Rogues Gallery is from XOBA '05. I'm pondering this years ride, it looks like an interesting route.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kk4df
    I hope to do BRAG this summer as well, and my son will likely join me as well. It should be a fun time.
    Lots of 50+ company on BRAG. Have you done the ride before? I have met several people from Augusta on BRAG.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat
    A couple of local rides, here in ND - "Bike the Border" and "CANDISC" and, iof course the all time fun ride we found last year, the Mikkleson Trek in the Black hills in Sept. Also the St. Paul Classic in St. Paul and the "Defeat of Jesse James" ride in Minnesota, and still looking for others.
    Candisc is a an amazing ride. I did it last year. I never knew what wind was before that. Half the time I was in heaven. Half the time I wanted to throw my Huffy in the lake.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Anybody got any summer plans lined up?

I'm hoping to go on the Rural Ride in Indiana www.triri.org Think about it if you're looking for a laid-back but challenging enough week of fun and adventure.

The ride is nicely-supported along quiet roads with great people. it includes camping or hotel options. Here's my blog from last year's ride: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=1750&v=oj

We're doing a 700 mile Indiana loop during that time period. If you see an old fart that looks like me riding a blue vintage Schwinn Passage pulling a kid trailer (An experiment to see if I get more room from auto traffic and still giving me cargo capacity), riding in the company of a Delta trike with Crazylady on it, it'll be us. We're going across to Cincinnati from Lafayette and then along the Ohio River to Evansville, and back to Lafayette. If we meet up, we'll have to get some PIE! This will also be Crazylady's first tour ever!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    Trek 750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uncle is organizing a family reunion in illinois, mid-august
    at the last one, 5 years ago, my sister and i rented bikes and rode a chunk of the M&I canal trail
    might do the same this time in the other direction, or rent a tandem bike in chicago and ride the lakeshore with wife
    rest of my riding will be closer to home

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
    and then the Midwest Tandem Rally on Labor Day weekend.
    Hopefully I'll meet you there. Lets make it a point to get in touch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast