Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-13-07, 07:44 AM   #1
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Summer Plans?

Anybody got any summer plans lined up?

I'm hoping to go on the Rural Ride in Indiana www.triri.org Think about it if you're looking for a laid-back but challenging enough week of fun and adventure.

The ride is nicely-supported along quiet roads with great people. it includes camping or hotel options. Here's my blog from last year's ride: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=1750&v=oj

What else do people have going?
Old 01-13-07, 09:36 AM   #2
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
Great blog, Blackberry. Those classic car photos brought back memories. I used to make service calls on Auburn Gear. I always flew into Fort Wayne and drove to Auburn. Those other photos reminded me that I'd seen more really old barns in that area than anywhere else I've been. That looks like a fun ride.
Bud Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 11:34 AM   #3
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry
I'll teach in a study abroad course in Duesseldorf, Germany the month of June. Arranging the schedule now so that there is a long weekend in central/north Holland (Arnhem, Apeldoorn) and a long weekend in Berlin (Potsdam, Sanssouci) so my favorite wife will fly over for 2 weeks and we'll credit-card bike tour a couple of times.

It is always a dilemna whether to take my bike (now it's a Surly LHT) or just try to rent / buy one there...the dilemna is finding airlines where I can fly all the way through and not change airlines. In my experience, if I change airlines, the 'free' transatlantic bike shipping is only to the end of that airline's travel leg and the next carrier charges exorbitant freight. It happened between American and Lufthansa in London last year.

But getting to ride your bike is THE way to see Europe, right, Blackberry?

Woody
Old 01-13-07, 11:57 AM   #4
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
Loved the blog. My favorite picture is the one of the riders passing the cemetery. My summer plans include the San Francisco to Los Angleles AIDS/LifeCycle in June. It will be my third year. I'll post pictures then.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Mojo Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 01:50 PM   #5
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
My wife and I are planning to take a supported tour of northern Wisconsin during the first week in August. This year it's organized so that we only change hotels every other day. I think that I'm going to like that. I can't remember the name of the company. I think that it's "Bike Wisconsin" or "Cycle Across Wisconsin" or maybe even "Dr. Pedal Tours". At any rate, we've made this trip a couple of times previously so we obviously have enjoyed it and have been satisfied with the service that's provided for the cost involved.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 02:44 PM   #6
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Holiday this year is planned in France and by Co-incidence it is in a hilly area. There is a slope called Mt. Ventoux within riding distance so the road bike is going with me.

Now if it is Close enough to Dusseldorf- and the dates match up- Then I suppose I could always take the Tandem and put slicks on it for Centexwoody to see if his legs are as stong as Mine.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 03:22 PM   #7
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
I plan to spend my summer in a hot blur of steamy libertine sexual activity, with the kind of intensity that's rivaled only by a championship match at Wimbleton. This may, or may not, involve some cycling.

(I've had this plan for every summer since puberty, and one of these days, it's going to come true.)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 03:40 PM   #8
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
I'm planning a couple week long rides this summer. I'm already registered for XOBA but the Michigan shoreline tour is still in the planning stage.

http://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/xoba/
http://www.lmb.org/pages/Events/ShorelinePages/West.htm

On Saturday mornings during warmer months I help lead rides for the local park system. They're 10-20 mile rides geared toward families and recreational riders. The only other rides will be the usual club rides.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 04:04 PM   #9
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam
Now if it is Close enough to Dusseldorf- and the dates match up- Then I suppose I could always take the Tandem and put slicks on it for Centexwoody to see if his legs are as stong as Mine.
Oh, Lawdy, Lawdy! Is Stepfam calling me out?

Okay, since I've never ridden a tandem farther than around the block, I'm up for the adventure! May 29th to June 29th - or maybe I'll come down to France and watch you climb Ventoux and cheer you on...
Old 01-13-07, 06:50 PM   #10
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Great blog, Blackberry. Riding out the storm in the barn must have really been something!
This summer I'll be doing BRAG (Bicycle Ride Across Georgia) again, but this time my son and a few members of our club will be joining me. My wife is smarter, she'll meet us in Savannah at the end.
http://www.brag.org/brag.html

I'm also going to be racing mountain bikes this year for the first time ever. I think I must have lost my mind!
http://s161425410.onlinehome.us/2007...FLIER-main.pdf
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 06:40 AM   #11
kk4df

Bikes: Bottecchia CF frame and fork, Ultegra 6603 crank and FD, DuraAce RD, Easton Vista wheels, Brooks B-17 saddle, Shimano 105 brakes, Michelin Pro2 Race tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
This summer I'll be doing BRAG (Bicycle Ride Across Georgia) again, but this time my son and a few members of our club will be joining me.
I hope to do BRAG this summer as well, and my son will likely join me as well. It should be a fun time.
kk4df is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 06:58 AM   #12
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
In May, my son, Tim and his wife, Amy, are scheduled to receive a rather prestigious award in San Francisco. We would like to drive out and then go on a tour of the Northern CA/Oregon coastlines, of course taking our bikes for day trips along the way. However, Tim and Amy have mentioned our flying out with them. So, we will see which works best.

The biking would be dependent upon Nora's knee replacement going OK.

Also, this summer I will continue to lead weekly rides for the "seniors" group at our church - generally 15-25 mile rides.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 07:26 AM   #13
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by centexwoody
Oh, Lawdy, Lawdy! Is Stepfam calling me out?

Okay, since I've never ridden a tandem farther than around the block, I'm up for the adventure! May 29th to June 29th - or maybe I'll come down to France and watch you climb Ventoux and cheer you on...
Start Holiday 0n 14th June for 10 days or so. Not calling you out but it is a possibility that we could meet up sometime. How tall are you- What inside leg- What pedals do you use and how much Cotes De Rhone can you drink?

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 07:59 AM   #14
Trsnrtr
Nefarious Reprobate

Bikes: Colnago CX, Giant Propel, Spec. Roubaix Pro, Co-Motion Supremo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
I've got several plans for this Summer with none of them solidified yet, but getting there. I want to go to PA for a bent rally in June, take tandem tour of the Rockies in July, another bent rally in Wisconsin in August, and then the Midwest Tandem Rally on Labor Day weekend. If I don't do some part-time contract work, then I'll probably throw in a few more rallys or short tours. Looks to be a fun year.
Old 01-14-07, 08:22 AM   #15
bobkat
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
A couple of local rides, here in ND - "Bike the Border" and "CANDISC" and, iof course the all time fun ride we found last year, the Mikkleson Trek in the Black hills in Sept. Also the St. Paul Classic in St. Paul and the "Defeat of Jesse James" ride in Minnesota, and still looking for others.
bobkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 08:59 AM   #16
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
RAIN (Ride Across INdiana) July 13th. Also a group trip on the Natchez Trace for 4-5 days.
PAlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 09:36 AM   #17
PaulH

Bikes:
We spend four long weekends on Ocracoke Island, NC. Since we fly there and there are no rental cars available, these weekends constitute a cycling vacation, and usually includes at least one 14 mile round trip ride to visit the ponies on the far end of the island. We have gotten quite proficient at transporting one child, three chairs, a beach umbrella, and assorted cameras, sun lotion, books, towels, etc. by bike.

Paul
PaulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 09:56 AM   #18
late

Bikes:
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
You know,
I have been thinking about that. I would like to ride from Portland Me to Burligton Vt; but the girls think that's a bit much. If we aren't ready for a trip that challenging; I have been working on an alternative. The problem is trip planning.
We have done many of the easy to plan trips in the area. Coming up with something new every year is becoming as challenging as the trip.

I have been trying to plan a loop for years that would take us into northern NH; and perhaps just a bit of Canada.
This might be the year.
late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:45 AM   #19
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
I want to do my first century. Something flat to start with; maybe the Hancock Horizontal Hundred in NW Ohio.

Maybe one of the Shoreline West tours here in MI too; I've heard they're great rides.

And I'd like to take my fixed gear on some of my regular club rides. Also would like to commute to work on my fixie starting this Spring; got a part-time job only a couple miles from home.

In general: ride more, ride further, ride faster, and burn off the pie!
bcoppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:50 AM   #20
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly
I'm planning a couple week long rides this summer. I'm already registered for XOBA but the Michigan shoreline tour is still in the planning stage.

http://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/xoba/
http://www.lmb.org/pages/Events/ShorelinePages/West.htm

On Saturday mornings during warmer months I help lead rides for the local park system. They're 10-20 mile rides geared toward families and recreational riders. The only other rides will be the usual club rides.
I did XOBA in '04 and '05. Nice rides. My pic in the Rogues Gallery is from XOBA '05. I'm pondering this years ride, it looks like an interesting route.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:13 AM   #21
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk4df
I hope to do BRAG this summer as well, and my son will likely join me as well. It should be a fun time.
Lots of 50+ company on BRAG. Have you done the ride before? I have met several people from Augusta on BRAG.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:17 AM   #22
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat
A couple of local rides, here in ND - "Bike the Border" and "CANDISC" and, iof course the all time fun ride we found last year, the Mikkleson Trek in the Black hills in Sept. Also the St. Paul Classic in St. Paul and the "Defeat of Jesse James" ride in Minnesota, and still looking for others.
Candisc is a an amazing ride. I did it last year. I never knew what wind was before that. Half the time I was in heaven. Half the time I wanted to throw my Huffy in the lake.
Old 01-14-07, 11:41 AM   #23
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry
Anybody got any summer plans lined up?

I'm hoping to go on the Rural Ride in Indiana www.triri.org Think about it if you're looking for a laid-back but challenging enough week of fun and adventure.

The ride is nicely-supported along quiet roads with great people. it includes camping or hotel options. Here's my blog from last year's ride: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=1750&v=oj

We're doing a 700 mile Indiana loop during that time period. If you see an old fart that looks like me riding a blue vintage Schwinn Passage pulling a kid trailer (An experiment to see if I get more room from auto traffic and still giving me cargo capacity), riding in the company of a Delta trike with Crazylady on it, it'll be us. We're going across to Cincinnati from Lafayette and then along the Ohio River to Evansville, and back to Lafayette. If we meet up, we'll have to get some PIE! This will also be Crazylady's first tour ever!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:44 AM   #24
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750
uncle is organizing a family reunion in illinois, mid-august
at the last one, 5 years ago, my sister and i rented bikes and rode a chunk of the M&I canal trail
might do the same this time in the other direction, or rent a tandem bike in chicago and ride the lakeshore with wife
rest of my riding will be closer to home
cc_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:46 AM   #25
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
and then the Midwest Tandem Rally on Labor Day weekend.
Hopefully I'll meet you there. Lets make it a point to get in touch.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote