Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Basic Maintenance Tutorials

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 04:37 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are there DVDs or other media formats, that visually show you how to do basic maintenance? Instructions sink in better when shown how step by step, and it would help to have a reference for basic wheel maintenance, chain & cable maintenance, and stuff like that. More in the line of preventive maintenance.

Do any visual tutorials come to mind? If not, is there a next-best-thing in the form of a publication with photos of how to do preventive maintenance?
Old 01-21-07, 04:39 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- you don't know about Park Tool's on-line help pages?

here

p.s. wget and curl are your friends!

Last edited by linux_author; 01-21-07 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-21-07, 05:20 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I was fortunate in that one of our local LBS's put on a series of "classes" after their shop closed for things like that. It was very informative and helped me get started. I'm guessing it only created an increase in their business from those of us with two thumbs....plus they have all the tools!!!
Old 01-22-07, 08:52 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
Are there DVDs or other media formats, that visually show you how to do basic maintenance? Instructions sink in better when shown how step by step, and it would help to have a reference for basic wheel maintenance, chain & cable maintenance, and stuff like that. More in the line of preventive maintenance.

Do any visual tutorials come to mind? If not, is there a next-best-thing in the form of a publication with photos of how to do preventive maintenance?
Go over to velonews.com and look about halfway down the page. There is a series of short tutorial videos with well known mech Leonard Zinn. They might prove helpful to you and they are free. (Alas the website seems to not be working this morning - but I'm sure it wil be up again soon.) If not you can get tons of non-video assistance at the Park Tool website - see https://www.parktool.com/repair/
Old 01-22-07, 10:57 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
Are there DVDs or other media formats, that visually show you how to do basic maintenance?
Get thee to a library. Check out one of the many fine books on bicycle maintenance.
Old 01-22-07, 11:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been leaning on Park Tool quite a bit, myself, lately.
Tasks are explained clearly and in really good depth (with pictures and everything!) and they offer "printer-friendly" pages so you can save 'em off and add 'em to your collection
Old 01-22-07, 12:05 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amen to the Park Tools site. Between that and my copy of the Zinn road bike book, I need nothing more.

Well, OK, those and Sheldon Brown's site...