Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Celebrex and a Black Swan

For those non-number nerds who also ride bikes, the general connotation of a black swan, or black swan event, is something so far outside the realm of probabilities that it is not even considered as a possibility. No one even thinks of it happening.

I have shared with you guys about having had two surgeries this last year for the shoulder, which is doing pretty well. You've probably read a time or two that I've had several knee surgeries, all stemming back to youthful sports and long distance running. The long story is that the right knee is a sad osteo-arthritic cartilage-deficienct transplanted-ACL bone marrow swelling, cruching, grinding affair most of the time. But it works.

So, I'm recovering from the shoulder stuff and building back up to riding longer distances and trying to get my legs back. Two days before Christmas I do a 30 mile ride in the hills, so things are looking up. That night I take the family out to one of the nice places in the area, a resort restaurant up in the hills overlooking the lakes. On the way out of the restaurant I am putting on my jacket when I stick my left foot into a trail of grease on the floor, do the splits and cram my right knee into the floor at a really odd angle. The pain and swelling starts immediately, and after everthing settles down in the restaurant I limp on back home. I spend Christmas with the knee immobilized, ice in a recliner, emergency room visits, x-rays, and MRI''s. (and yes...we have the insurance-liability situation in hand)

The pain has been getting less and most of the time I can now, two weeks later, walk without a painful limp, though there is always pain in the knee. After the first few days my G.P. allowed me to get back to biking, first on a stationary, and then on the road if there was no swelling.

I was thinking that this might be the time the ortho doctor says TKR is the only hope. There is a new cartilage tear on the outside and a possible new one or maybe older on the inside. Fortunately, the ACL graft from six years ago is still good, and there are no new torn ligaments. However, after a long visit yesterday with my orthopedic doctor, we decide to try putting me on Celebrex (as needed) before doing cortisone, a knee scope to fix the cartilage, or a total knee replacement as last resort.

Its in the 20's here today, but the roads are clear so I'm going to bundle up and take a short spin anyway.

So, this black swan event puts me on Celebrex for now. I'm really hoping it helps with the pain I've had, maybe in a whole new way. Does anyone else have any experience with anti-inflamation drugs such as Celebrex, or even the now-defunct Vioxx?
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 01-13-07 at 10:50 PM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Celebrex did nothing for me at all. Aleve worked much better, for me anyhow. I also take Naproxen and all that is, is a stronger Aleve. I seen something at Sams that was just like Naproxen,maybe a little weaker but it works pretty good too.Good luck
    George

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on Celebrex for my back, and it worked well until the VA stopped using it, and put me back on etodolac.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    Does anyone else have any experience with anti-inflamation drugs such as Celebrex, or even the now-defunct Vioxx?
    I have used Celebrex for both shoulder (currently) and knee (a few years back) and found it to work well. Best thing is the once-a-day dose so I can just take it and forget about it. Lots of controversy on most of the nsa's, but this one worked for me (I'm 65). I had a TKR three years ago and have never regreted it for one second (well, maybe the first month of rehab). I also did all of the things short of replacement and they helped some. But the replacement gave me a new lease on (riding) life and I am very happy I did it. Results may very, consult your physician......
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    naproxen is the generic. Aleve and Naprosyn are brands of naproxen.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered this as a possible option?

Glucosamine and Chondroitin

http://www.webmd.com/hw/arthritis/tp21139.asp

What are glucosamine and chondroitin?

Glucosamine and chondroitin are part of normal cartilage. Cartilage acts as a cushion between the bones in a joint.

Glucosamine, also called chitosamine, is a natural substance that is found in the covering of shellfish. It is available in different forms, including glucosamine hydrochloride, N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG), and glucosamine sulfate, which is a combination of glucosamine and mineral salt. Glucosamine is also available in synthetic forms. The body absorbs glucosamine well.

Chondroitin can come from natural sources, such as shark or bovine cartilage, or it can be made in a lab. Chondroitin is also known as chondroitin sulfate, chondroitin sulfuric acid, and chonsurid. Chondroitin sulfate is a combination of chondroitin and mineral salt.

Glucosamine and chondroitin are available in tablet, capsule, powder, or liquid form and are often taken in combination with each other or in combination with other dietary supplements. Glucosamine may be taken separately as a dietary supplement for joints.

What are glucosamine and chondroitin used for?

People with osteoarthritis use glucosamine and chondroitin to relieve joint pain. Researchers are also studying chondroitin for use in making medicines more effective and helping to prevent blood clots (anticoagulant).

Studies show that glucosamine and chondroitin can help osteoarthritis pain and improve function.1, 2 Some studies indicate that glucosamine may help as much as ibuprofen in relieving symptoms of osteoarthritis, particularly in the knee, with fewer side effects.3

Research indicates that glucosamine and chondroitin can help restore cartilage.

Are glucosamine and chondroitin safe?

It appears that glucosamine and chondroitin, in combination or separately, have few side effects. However, people with osteoarthritis who have diabetes should talk with a doctor before they take glucosamine because it may influence blood sugar (glucose).4

If you are allergic to shellfish, do not take glucosamine unless you have discussed it with your doctor. Glucosamine is made from shellfish covering.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glucosamine and Chondroitin worked a miracle for me, stopping knee pain that had plagued me for several years and continuing to work for 6+ years now. That said, it would be a tall order (albeit less than another black swan event) for them to work on the condition described above. But I'd say it was worth a shot. Take the full 1500mg & 1200mg dosage daily for a few weeks to see if it helps.