Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Discounted (end of year) Prices from Manufacturer? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/260565-discounted-end-year-prices-manufacturer.html)

Motorad 01-13-07 03:03 PM

Discounted (end of year) Prices from Manufacturer?

I've heard of getting good sales near the end of the year from your LBS, so that the LBS can make way for new bikes that the LBS will be stocking.

What about getting good sales near the end of the year from the manufacturer? The reason I ask is I'm thinking of getting a new bike from Trek, and order the bike with a "Project One Paint Scheme".

So, is it possible to order a 2007 bike from Trek ... near the end of 2007 ... at a good sales price and with the "Project One Paint Scheme"?

jppe 01-13-07 03:42 PM

Good question. My guess is that getting a good discount on a Project One bike is pretty tough. There will be some discounts via LBS's but not real sure about factory direct with Project One.

Tom Bombadil 01-13-07 04:44 PM

I've been watching this winter for sales that others told me about last summer. Frankly, I've been underwhelmed. There has been the occasional good sale, usually on an odd-sized or odd-colored bike, but the typical discount I've been seeing for 2006 bikes is around 5%. And if the object of your desire is a very popular bike, in a popular size, then those usually aren't discounted at all. They simply sell out of the 2006 model.

BluesDawg 01-13-07 05:52 PM

Only one way to find out. And asking us ain't it. :)
The 2007 models came out really early. My LBS was passing along discounts from the factory on 2006 models if they were available. Some models and sizes were sold out in October. I got 20% off MSRP on my Specialized Rockhopper Comp. They would have given me 10% anyway, so it was a good deal but not a monster deal.

Trsnrtr 01-13-07 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Only one way to find out. And asking us ain't it. :)
The 2007 models came out really early. My LBS was passing along discounts from the factory on 2006 models if they were available. Some models and sizes were sold out in October. I got 20% off MSRP on my Specialized Rockhopper Comp. They would have given me 10% anyway, so it was a good deal but not a monster deal.

What BluesDog said. It seems bikes are like cars and new models come out in the Fall. I've purchased new model Treks two different times in October of the previous year just like new cars. My wife's '03 Trek 5200 was purchased in early October of 2002. I know components come out in the Fall, also, as I pre-ordered a new model Campy group one time in September for delivery in November. Anyway, by this time of year, I doubt manufacturers are making deals. Suppliers, on the other hand, might be wanting to get rid of stock.

lhbernhardt 01-14-07 10:48 PM

If a bike manufacturer does accurate sales predictions, it should run out of current year inventory by about August, just in time to start shipping next year's models. This is why you don't see bike manufacturers blowing stuff out too often (as opposed to North American auto manufacturers, who end up with excess inventory because they haven't figured out that buyers want cars that are reliable and well-made - something the Japanese have known for years...).

- L., MBA,CMA

sch 01-15-07 09:29 AM

A friend just bought an '06 Scott CR1 Pro with a 105 10spd in 60cm size for less than $1800 2 weeks ago, a steal in my book. I was prowling for a similar but in 52cm and they had a full DA on the same frame for $3500, not exactly a bargain (MSRP $5200). Rode nice but not enough to justify the $. Would have bought one if they had a 105 for $1800. There are deals out there from LBS but you have to hunt and hit the right time.

Tom Bombadil 01-15-07 10:58 AM

I earlier alluded to finding a few good deals on odd-sized or odd-colored bikes. I've also seen significant discounts on bikes that didn't sell well in the first place. There are some really good bargains out there, and if you're lucky, you'll find something close to what you are looking for. I've also seen great deals on 2005 bikes, of which there are still a few around.

And my disclaimer is that I haven't been looking at the higher priced bikes. An LBS might be more inclined to discount a 2006 $3000 bike that has been moving slowly for them over the entire year.

BluesDawg 01-16-07 05:18 AM

Don't get so obsessed with hunting a great deal that you buy the wrong bike.

Motorad 01-16-07 04:52 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. BluesDawg said a mouthful, and there may not be much chance for a person as short as me to find the bike I want in the size I need ... discounted at the end of the year. Besides, I want to replace my 730 dirtbike before October.

If anybody sees a green, 2007, Trek Pilot 5.9, in a 50 cm frame ... marked down by 25% ... give me a buzz. :)

PS: Where do you cut'n'paste the emoticons from?

Tom Bombadil 02-13-07 04:27 PM

I finally encountered a really nice mid-winter sale. I'd heard the rumors that they existed, but had never seen one. An LBS that is less than a mile from my office is running a mid-February sale wherein almost every bike in the shop, including 2007 models, is being discounted from 20% to 30% off of list. Some of the older bikes, the 2005 & 2006 models, are 30%-40% off. This included bikes ranging from $200 Schwinn hybrids to $350 Electra Townies to $1800 Bianchis to $3000 Scott bikes, and many more.

It was like being a candy store. But I resisted and didn't buy anything.

Monoborracho 02-13-07 04:29 PM

Last week, while in Houston, I saw an LBS Trek dealer offering $50 Project One paint jobs.