Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh you poor thing...

I went for a bike ride this morning. When I left, it wasn't doing anything, though we did have some freezing rain last night that was on the trees and cars. The radar didn't look too bad either, so out the door I went. I rode 11 miles up to this little C-Store and the nice lady leaving when I rode up was most sympathetic to my "plight". Thus the "You poor thing" comment in the title. I assured her that far from being cold, my primary concern at the moment was avoiding a meltdown. I had a nice biscuit with sausage gravy, a bottle of chocolate milke (still very much a kid at heart here, can't help it and don't want to) and headed back out to go home. By the time I left the store it was freezing rain in earnest. Thank goodness it was not sticking on the roads! The real rain lasted all the way home, ultimately getting me into near drowned rat status. It sure made the hot tub feel good after I stripped off. It also made me very thankful that I still have the ability to do this, nobody has to make me and that I still find it good fun to get out in bad weather. Though next time I go out with precip in the forecast, it won't be in wind proof water resistant outer layers, real gore-tex would have been in order this morning.
    Last edited by Terrierman; 01-13-07 at 04:59 PM.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You poor thing. Did you loose your license?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great day to me. Good ride, unsolicited attention from the opposite sex, sausage, gravy and chocolate milk, safely home, and a hot tub. Yep, sounds like a great day to me.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a ride in the Cold last year and when I was trying to pay for my coffee and Pie, the waitress noticed I was having trouble with my hands-They were Just coming to life from being Frozen. 2 minutes later and I was having a "Latvian" Hand massage. Boy were my mates jealous. Only problem is that this year I have kept the hands warm- But I have yet to see her at the Cafe when my feet are like blocks of ice.

As to the suitability of Goretex- Two of us in my group have goretex tops and they are fantastic- Almost makes you pray for rain on a ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of this fell during and in the next hour or so after my ride home on Saturday morning. It's a lot worse only a few miles to our North, hundreds of thousands of homes without power across Oklahoma and Missouri, fortunately our power has stayed on. It's getting cold now, which will only add to the problems they are already facing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hunker down! and I hope you stay warm.