User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which bike on trainer?

I don't think it's going to quit raining in SW Ohio so it's time to setup my new trainer. I've never owned a trainer before so I don't know if they cause any problems to the bike. I've also ordered some training DVD's and will be using them when they arrive next week.

I want to put the new bike (Trek Madone 5.0 WSD) on it so I can make a few adjustments to seat position, etc. I have 500 miles on the bike but switched saddles in the last 100 miles. I feel I need to get some more miles on this saddle to be sure it fixed the problem I was having with the original saddle.

The other bike I can put on the trainer is a Trek 1800C. It's very similar to the Madone but I planned on using it for winter rides to save the new one from salt and other winter conditions. It also has slightly larger tires and handles a little better on wet roads. Will the trainer do any harm to the new one? I've been told it's hard on the tires but I'm willing to replace the tire in the spring.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Slight paint chipping will occur around the axle mount points on the dropouts from the trainer, other than that, it will wear your tires a bit more is all. A little touch up on the spring will fix that!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
    Slight paint chipping will occur around the axle mount points on the dropouts from the trainer, other than that, it will wear your tires a bit more is all. A little touch up on the spring will fix that!
    My trainer doesn't come anywhere near the dropouts. It clamps against the QR not the dropouts. But do protect the toptube from perspiration, and I use an old tire on the rear rim. Other than that, the trainer shouldn't harm the bike in any way if it is properly installed.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyb
    My trainer doesn't come anywhere near the dropouts. It clamps against the QR not the dropouts. But do protect the toptube from perspiration, and I use an old tire on the rear rim. Other than that, the trainer shouldn't harm the bike in any way if it is properly installed.
    My trainer clamps against the QR, too. I don't have an old tire for this bike so I'll just replace it later this year if necessary.

I'm going to perspire on this thing?? (I'll put a towel on the toptube)
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you lessen your tire pressure a bit, you will wear your tire a bit less....but you may find a little less resistance. Consider a new tire part of "doing business" in winter training. Several years of steel bikes on trainers has done nothing that I can tell to the frame's integrity or paint...but, as above, depends on your means of mounting.

Also, put a good fan in front of you....will cut down on dripping sweat on the top tube, floor, etc.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    My trainer clamps against the QR, too. I don't have an old tire for this bike so I'll just replace it later this year if necessary.

I'm going to perspire on this thing?? (I'll put a towel on the toptube)

I put on a different QR. (doesn't that come with the trainer? Duh....)

Yep - you will perspire. I put a standing fan in front of me and still perspire like crazy.
    You can buy a "bike towell"... how can I say this without blushing... "Bike Thong" (thats what its called) from performance. Works great. towel's just fall off.

Biggest problem I have (had) - everyone - especially G'kids & young kids who visit, climb on w/o asking.

Some parents don't understand me hollering "NO!!!!!!" when I see them using the carbon rear stays as a step.
    My solution and strong recommendation- I finally got a 'beater' heavy steel bike and use that for my trainer bike. I figure it was a good investment both $'s and keeping the peace.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyb
    The bike I use on the trainer doesn't have QR, instead 15mm nuts. (Middling range Raleigh. That must be the difference.)
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron
    I put on a different QR. (doesn't that come with the trainer? Duh....)

Yep - you will perspire. I put a standing fan in front of me and still perspire like crazy.
    You can buy a "bike towell"... how can I say this without blushing... "Bike Thong" (thats what its called) from performance. Works great. towel's just fall off.

Biggest problem I have (had) - everyone - especially G'kids & young kids who visit, climb on w/o asking.

Some parents don't understand me hollering "NO!!!!!!" when I see them using the carbon rear stays as a step.
    My solution and strong recommendation- I finally got a 'beater' heavy steel bike and use that for my trainer bike. I figure it was a good investment both $'s and keeping the peace.

Yes, I'll be using the QR that came with the trainer. Can this be used for regular rides or will I need to switch to original equipment when I take the bike off the trainer? I'm not thinking about leaving it on permanently but was thinking about the ocassional winter ride.

I'll take a look at that thong or else add some velcrose to a strip of terry and make one for the bike.

Until I can find a beater I'll probably just switch to the older Trek after I've finished making the adjustments to the new one. I'm sure my grandkids will be just as interested in trying it out as yours
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    Can this be used for regular rides ?
    Yep!

I don't have the talent to make my own, & could'nt convince my lovely wife to sew - to be fair she looked at the price from performance and reminded me I was still employed .
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Threw away my trainer years ago and started riding a set of rollers, no harm to the bike, teaches bike handling skills and not quite as boring. Still grim at best, it's better than not riding at all.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The extra QR can be used for rides. It works the same as the regular one, it's just a little heavier most likely.

The biggest problem I have with my road bike on the trainer (other than excruciating boredom) is that the drop bar position that is all-day comfortable on the road causes too much hand pressure on the trainer. This is even with the front wheel on a block to bring it level with the rear wheel. This year I've mounted North Road handlebars on my old steel MTB and set it up comfort bike style on the trainer. It seems to be working much better for me.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.