Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glucosamine/ Chondroitin

I'm going to start taking G/C and I was wondering how long does it take to start working. Also did you load up at first and then cut back when you started to feel better.I tried Primrose and it didn't do anything. Thanks for any replys.
    George

Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... and how soon should one start taking this?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take G/C which along with the bike has been good for bad knees. I have tried several brands and think there is a difference, I like the Osteo-Bi-Flex. The label says two a day, I take four. For me it takes a good month for the full effect, it seems very gradual and not noticable day by day, only over time. Worth a try, my orthopod says it works for around 40% of those who try it, which for a supplement with no bad side effects is pretty good odds.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took 3-4 weeks to start working for me. That was taking two of the 500/400 strength pills a day. The bottle says to take 3.

After my knee pain subsided, I cut back to one per day and that worked great for 5 years. Then a little bit of pain returned and I upped my dosage to 2 per day. I have been pain-free ever since.

I'm holding out on going to three per day until I need to.

Counting me, I know of 6 people who have tried it to address knee pain, it worked for 3 of us.

For me, it has been a miracle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I began taking "GlukeDroit" (my homely term) after a ligament popping ski crash. Recovery was slow and I was impatient. I have a "sense" that they sped recovery and that my knees are more trouble free and I can ask more of them than otherwise......having gone off G/C a few times I've noticed a difference.

But, as often when taking supplements, you have only a substantial intuition that they are helping-- unlike say taking antibiotics for strep throat. I buy whatever is moderately priced or is on sale and am satisfied.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds good enough for me guys, thanks.
    George

My Bikes
    Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is something you might want to try, http://www.cherrypharm.com/ i used a box this past summer and really liked it, Along with your Glucosamine/ Chondroitin ,it fights imflamation in the joints,After a ride it works great,But what i started doing was buying it at the grocery,tart cherry juice/pure then adding two tlbs into 8or10 oz of apple juice,its alot cheaper and works great.the tart cherry juice cost around $15 a bottle, but it last 3-4 months,im 62 and im gonna keep on using it,give it a try.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have noted that about 2 years ago, due to my doctor doubting if G/C had really done anything for me, I went off of them. About 3 weeks later the same pain that had plagued me 5 years earlier returned and I had a hard time walking. So I started them again and after 3 pain-filled weeks, I was fine again.

I almost always purchase them from the Walgreen's chain. Their regular prices are high, but on about one week out of every month, they have it on a 2 for 1 sale. I get two bottles of 240 double strength 500/400 capsules for $50. That's much lower than the regular price at Wal-Mart. Using two per day, that works out to a cost of $6.25/month. A great deal for pain-free knees.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A cautionary note for those taking G/c. It appears that in some cases it can raise your cholesterol. This is not meant to be a knock on it, I've been thinking about it myself. It is,however, something to be aware of.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a Danish study on the effects of glucosamine on cholesterol. Out of 40,000 people taking G/C, 6 of them experienced a rise in their cholesterol. They took the 6 off of G/C and their cholesterol dropped, put them back on and it went up again. So it appeared to be a direct link, for about 1 out of every 6700 people.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get Glucosamine Sulfate. Primrose oil is primarily used by menopausal women. They don't usually notice a difference either.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck
    A cautionary note for those taking G/c. It appears that in some cases it can raise your cholesterol. This is not meant to be a knock on it, I've been thinking about it myself. It is,however, something to be aware of.
    I don't know if it changes my cholesterol or not. I do know that I have often
    procrastinated after I ran out. After a week or so the aches and pains come back every damn time.

Yes it is a paradox
    My Bikes
    Trek, Orbea,Specilized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it raise the good or bad cholesterol?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently for 99.9% of the people it raises neither. But for the others it is the bad.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it works for me, and pain returns if I stop. I take the triple strength, 1x/day.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For people who don't know the regular strengths, "triple strength" is 750 G, 600 C.

Most of the pills are 500/400, or "double strength". You don't see single strength a whole lot.

My Bikes
    2007 Gary Fisher Piranha & ~ 1984 Ross Mt Whitney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been taking glucosamine w/MSM 1,500 MG each once a day.
    It took quite a while to notice the effects, but joints quit complaining.

My Bikes
    Merckx Team SC, Mondonico Futuro Leggero, Peugeot PVN10 Super Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm taking it (generic Target brand that has Vit. C and boron added) and while it has taken the edge off my knee pain, it really made the arthritis in my fingers much, much better. Go figure.

GG

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes me sick to my stomach and bowel problems. However, I have always had a "sensitive" stomach.

My Bikes
    1982 Steve Bauer road bike, 1985 Custom Campy road bike, 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Norco Bigfoot MTB, 1975 Raleigh Twenty folder, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with 3 a day (1500 mg) for a month before any noticeable improvement, then dropped to 2 a day. I'm on my third year of taking Glucosamine Sulphate - My knees have stopped bothering me altogether, I play ice hockey 2x a week, ball hockey once or twice a week and rode 4,000 km last year.
    It worked for our dog, too. He could hardly walk, he was chasing cats again after about 3 weeks of glucosamine sulphate mixed in with his food.
    ...!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to have that dog.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Take glucosamine - chondroitin & MSM in a liquid. 1 shot a day. Keeps the joints at bay. I get it at BJ's for 19.00 a bottle 1 months worth. When I first started to get healthy my doc told me to quit it because of cholesterol, after a month off of it my joints started to hurt when I would get up in the morning. I started back on it and can tell the difference. It origanley took about 1 month to start working. My Cholesterol is now at 163 total diet made the difference on that.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding to my previous posts ... I neglected to mention that one time when I made my 2 for 1 purchase from Walgreens, I accidentally picked up Glucosamine & MSM. I was taking it for 2 months, without ever noticing it was different, and my knees started to ache a bit. Not badly, but more so than they had for a few years. That's when I noticed I was taking a different dose.

So I switched back to G & C and my pain eased away again. I know G & MSM works for some, and it works a bit for me ... much better than taking nothing ... but not as effective as G & C.

When one 500/400 G & C pill quit being enough for me, I used up the rest of my G & MSM by taking it as my 2nd pill of the day. That worked fine.

Some people take just MSM for joint pain. Based upon my experience with G & MSM, I don't think it would do much for me.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up some G/C and started taking it. I got my fingers crossed. If it works on my wrist and elbows I can start bike shopping again. Thanks again, George
    George

Look 555 fledgling catherine96821's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vitus road bike, I bought used, graduated to a LOOK 555
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got turned onto this Glucosamine/ Chondroitin when jumping horses. The trainers swore by it and we would often watch horses "go better" in the arena and generally look less stiff and have an improved gait.
    Some physicians poo-poo it, saying that it doesn't survive the HCL acid in the stomach, but vetenarians have tagged it with an isotope and seen it in the joint spaces. (I think)

Four to six weeks I notice a difference.
    from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast