Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Log Jump at Harris Lake

I posted this on the MTB forum. But I thought the gang at 50+ might get a kick out of it. I came down the single track ( you can see my Rockhopper in one of the pics) and saw the "new" log jump nature installed at the Harris Lake advanced trail. They have an unwritten policy of letting a tree stay where it falls. But this time I think they may have to cut this one. Meanwhile, we tried a go around that ran into mud about 6" deep.
    And I left my chainsaw at home!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pitiful thing is that I have friends who can pop those without a second thought. Personally, I stop, lift the bike over and remount on the other side. Never had a bad endo doing that.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear you "rode within yourself" and didn't try to launch over that one!!

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is Harris Lake?

I'm orginally from Charlotte and there was a Harris Lake
    near where I grew up, could it be the same?

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The consequence of an unmanaged forest. That oak could make some beautiful furniture or flooring. I hope someone brings in a truck and hauls it away in board length sections before it rots.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    The pitiful thing is that I have friends who can pop those without a second thought. Personally, I stop, lift the bike over and remount on the other side. Never had a bad endo doing that.
    I'd do the same. I've gone more than five decades without accidenally knocking any teeth out. I'm not gonna start trying now.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    Many moons ago I did a race and there was a log just like this one. 5 lap race and I just managed to hop for the first 3 laps. Then on the 4th- The wife was there just as I got it all wrong. Didn't even attempt it on the 5th lap but the wife never said a word- But never came to any other race meets either.

Then on the other hand- I don't race nowadays either. If it was a choice of a fowl up or 6" of mud- I'd prefer the mud. At least it is a soft landing.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byte_speed
    Where is Harris Lake?

I'm orginally from Charlotte and there was a Harris Lake
    near where I grew up, could it be the same?
    I don't think so. This lake was built to accomodate the Shearon Harris nuclear power plant near Raleigh. The power plant donated extra land to the county who turned it into a park for sports that are in touch with nature. Boating, fishing, hiking and what has become one of the major attractions, mountain biking. There's about 8.5 miles of mountain biking trails at three different levels, beginner, intermediate and advanced.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
    The consequence of an unmanaged forest. That oak could make some beautiful furniture or flooring. I hope someone brings in a truck and hauls it away in board length sections before it rots.
    I agree Bob, but the local loggers don't. With paper mills and brick plants, wood is converted to paper or energy around here, including, sadly, large oaks. What a waste. With any luck it will spend the rest of its time as an obsticle on the MTB trail.