Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Fit question

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Fit question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 08:26 AM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Fit question

Anyone have experience with this situation? I have noticed in the last month or so some new twinges while either on my road bike or on my trainer (also road) bike. Right front knee pain (I have raised the seat post on both bikes and it has diminished the pain some), some pain in the right ankle joint on the outside, some shoulder pain on the left side. The question is: Both bikes were well fit several years ago, and no changes to the frame or parts that might effect frame dimensions have been made since then. The only things that have changed are my age (7 yrs older) weight (125 lbs lighter) and more frequent mileage (100+) a week. I'm having the most confusion about issues with the knee, because this suggests that my legs have gotten longer???
Is it time for a "retro" fitting? Any experiences, feedback, knowledge appreciated!
Old 01-15-07, 08:40 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAlt
Anyone have experience with this situation? I have noticed in the last month or so some new twinges while either on my road bike or on my trainer (also road) bike. Right front knee pain (I have raised the seat post on both bikes and it has diminished the pain some), some pain in the right ankle joint on the outside, some shoulder pain on the left side. The question is: Both bikes were well fit several years ago, and no changes to the frame or parts that might effect frame dimensions have been made since then. The only things that have changed are my age (7 yrs older) weight (125 lbs lighter) and more frequent mileage (100+) a week. I'm having the most confusion about issues with the knee, because this suggests that my legs have gotten longer???
Is it time for a "retro" fitting? Any experiences, feedback, knowledge appreciated!
First let me congratulate you on being 125 lbs lighter! That's a wonderful accomplishment.

You may already have this site but I've found it useful when trying to adjust my bike.
https://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html

Your legs probably haven't gotten longer but I'm sure you're seated differently on the saddle with the weight loss. That retro fitting sounds like a good idea.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-15-07, 08:56 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
It's kind of funny the same thing happened to me. I haven't been riding as long as you have but I had the same problem. I was really pumping the miles out and then my knee started to bother me. Not bad but bad enough, it was right above the knee cap. I raised the saddle as high as I could get it and still had the pain.I was affraid I'd injure me knee, so I just went to get a bike fit yesterday. Surprise, it was in my cleats,he moved them up and when he done that my saddle was an 1" to low. With the weather being bad I only had a short ride (10 miles) and everything felt fine.I can really feel that inch,it feels like a foot,but I think it worked. Good luck, George
Old 01-15-07, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Beverly]First let me congratulate you on being 125 lbs lighter! That's a wonderful accomplishment.

One slight addendum: only 25 LBS Lighter
Old 01-15-07, 10:43 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=PAlt]
Originally Posted by Beverly
First let me congratulate you on being 125 lbs lighter! That's a wonderful accomplishment.

One slight addendum: only 25 LBS Lighter
Any weight loss deserves a congratulation

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-15-07, 11:30 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW: Also be aware that not all knee pain is associated with bike fit. Sometimes just over doing it will result in pain. Frequently called "Spring Knee," this happens to a some of us who live in the colder climates and try to up our mileage too rapidly when the weather gets warm. I have also had this problem after a day of too much climbing. Cleared right up with a short break and did not recur. Heck this even happens to some of the pro's.

Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 01-15-07 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-15-07, 12:39 PM
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike fit is not static.

Neither is bike riding.

Listen to what your body tells you.

Pushing bigger gears can cause a joint to act up where it might have been fine pushing a smaller gear.

Sometimes a day off, or a lower mileage day at least, is not a bad thing either.

Keep in mind that bike riding while generally good for one's health overall is an activity that is putting wear and tear on the rider at the same time. Riding over a rough road, for example, is putting the spine and other parts of the body through quite a few compression cycles.

Stretching is something to consider as well.

I've had days where I start off feeling the saddle is way too high only to feel it's way too low by the end of the day.

Do what you have to do in order to ride pain free or as pain free as possible.
Old 01-15-07, 02:58 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Do look into your cleat positioning and foot rotation.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-15-07, 07:20 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
The first thing to recheck is the seat height and also it's forward/backward placement. I'd check it just to make sure it's where it's supposed to be.

I've had similar issues with one of my knees when I had leg warmers stretched too tightly over my knee but didn't realize it.....sounds weird but but points out even the smallest thing can create issues. I have also adjusted a cleat forward a smidge if I had knee pain in the front of one knee but not the other.

The ankle thing is interesting. If you can set up on a trainer in front of a mirror and watch your pedaling (or have someone that you trust/respect observe for you), look to see if you're riding toe in or toe out by chance....and it could just be with one foot doing that.

Good luck......joint issues can be troubling.
Old 01-15-07, 07:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any reason to think foot rotation would change meaningfully since before? No change in cranks, pedals. Have raised the seat height since the knee pain would suggest that, but perhaps front to rear and angle need adjustment. Getting some areas to examine and perhaps adjust from these posts. Appreciate all the feedback!
Old 01-15-07, 08:11 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
FWIW: Also be aware that not all knee pain is associated with bike fit.
+1
Although fit may be the culprit, it may have more to do with fit-ness. You say you are riding more distance than you were. Also your knees are older now. They may just want to let you know they are there.
Old 01-16-07, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Do look into your cleat positioning and foot rotation.
+1 The sensation at the knee and ankle would make me suspect this. Did your cleat position change? One way to check is by paying attention to the amount of float movement you have when you pedal in a normal fashion. You don't want to be at the edge of the float movement (either in or out). You should have some play in both directions. Next time you ride, see if you are reaching the complete limit (on either side) with your right foot. As another suggested, it could also be simple overuse, but I'd look into the cleat positioning first. I had a similar situation when I changed pedals on my trainer bike. Everything was the same, but I only had three degrees of rotation. The old pedals had six degrees. I put the old pedals back on, and the pain in the knee and ankle was gone.
Old 01-22-07, 08:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all who contributed! After going back to get the retro fit done discovered the following:
SEAT HEIGHT - raised 4.Cm
SEAT TO HBAR,back to ctr - 2.Cm closer
STEM ANGLE - from 0 to 17deg
SEAT ANGLE - from 1.7deg to .9deg
Additionally, cleats were wedged 3mm on the inside edge of the foot to accommodate the natural pronation of my feet relative to the flat fixed plane of the pedal platform. This was done to relieve the ankle pain. For those interested, have photos the shop with angles of leg, back, arms, etc. indicated to note changes in position. PM if you're interested.