Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I'm Back... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/261044-im-back.html)

HopedaleHills 01-15-07 10:06 AM

I'm Back...

Well, been gone for a while as it took me a little bit to deal with my brother's passing in Oct, only did one ride in Nov and none in Dec. I just didn't have it in me. Now it's dark or raining whenever I am home. So this weekend we finally bit the bullet and decided to get an indoor bike. we decided agains't trainers because we would need two or have to constantly switch bikes. Besides, our friends that have inexpensive trainers tend to not use them much because of noise or mechanical problems, etc. We ended up getting a Lemond RevMaster. Pretty pricey, but built really well and much more like riding a real street bike than the other stationary bikes. Just finished my first 10 mile ride, not bad. Here is a link to a picture.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tvandawa...86273156506210

Back in the saddle and glad to be there.

GO PATS

Tim

Monoborracho 01-15-07 10:22 AM

I know I speak for the others here in wishing you the best in the days ahead, and may you only have fond memories of the past.

That indoor bike looks like it needs only a Brooks saddle and some clipless pedals to morph your mind onto the real thing.

p8rider 01-15-07 03:53 PM

Glad you're back on!!

lubers 01-15-07 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I lost my dad four years ago and I couldn't handle it, ended up losing my job, was in deep depression for quite a while before I finally went to get some help. I took off four months before I decided to find another job. Things are better now but I know what you are going through.

Nice spinner, I too didn't want to change bikes all the time, my wife about a foot shorter than I am so we also bought something similar to yours. I picked up a used Schwinn Spinner from a health club that was getting new spinning bikes. Even used it wasn't cheap.

Digital Gee 01-15-07 05:11 PM

Welcome back!!! Did you bring pie for everyone? :D

CrossChain 01-15-07 07:24 PM

+1 Welcome back Hopedale...........I experienced a family loss a few months ago. It does take the wind from your sails-- as is natural-- but then, after a time, that wind returns with an enlivening gust and it feels very, very good again.

Come to think of it, you'll have to set up a fan to get that wind out in the garage or wherever. Anyone remember the old Schwinn Aerodyne stationary bike?

Terrierman 01-15-07 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by CrossChain
+1 Welcome back Hopedale...........I experienced a family loss a few months ago. It does take the wind from your sails-- as is natural-- but then, after a time, that wind returns with an enlivening gust and it feels very, very good again.

Come to think of it, you'll have to set up a fan to get that wind out in the garage or wherever. Anyone remember the old Schwinn Aerodyne stationary bike?

Remember hell, I got one out in the shop right now and hating riding it is what got me down to the bike shop for the real thing! It will give you a workout and make you drip sweat, but the bad thing is you just keep seeing the same old thing, mile after boring mile and there are only so many minutes you can listen to the oldies radio station anyway.

scottogo 01-15-07 10:00 PM

Many of us have had recent experience with loss. Glad you are making it back.

Digital Gee 01-15-07 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Welcome back!!! Did you bring pie for everyone? :D

Hopedalehills, I missed the part in your OP where you spoke of your brother's passing. Now I feel like a jerk, with this light-hearted response to your post. Please accept my apology.

HopedaleHills 01-16-07 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Hopedalehills, I missed the part in your OP where you spoke of your brother's passing. Now I feel like a jerk, with this light-hearted response to your post. Please accept my apology.

No apology necessary. And, oh, blueberry, second shelf in your fridge:)

vger285 01-16-07 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Terrierman
Remember hell, I got one out in the shop right now and hating riding it is what got me down to the bike shop for the real thing! It will give you a workout and make you drip sweat, but the bad thing is you just keep seeing the same old thing, mile after boring mile and there are only so many minutes you can listen to the oldies radio station anyway.

If you have XM,you can listen to the oldies all day and night-go from 50's to 60's and back,, hahah!i love it,still dont like working out inside, but i love the music!!!

pastorbobnlnh 01-16-07 05:59 AM

Tim,

I missed you and your good natured posts. Every time I laid eyes on my old yellow Varsity I wondered how you were making out with your brother's death and how you were holding up and coping. I know it is not easy. I also know that the months which pass after words have challenges as well. Whether it is family members, close friends (thinking of JPPE), or in my case, multiple church members who die over several months, grieving is a process that has many layers and nuances. Distractions, such as a good bike ride can be very helpful. In fact it's always better to express your frustrations of loss and anger by pedaling harder or cranking up a hill faster. And yes, I feel your pain on the indoor trainer. I logged just over 1000 indoor miles in 2006. Hard to face it--- but it's better than getting too fat.

NOS88 01-16-07 07:05 AM

Welcome back. Time does seem to heal all wounds... although it can seem a very slow healing process. I hope your memories of your brother are fond.