Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still some life left in this old dog

It was a glorious day on the coast Saturday... in the 10AM Winter sun, the Pacific just looked special - that still shade of deep azure blue that we only get in the winter.
    It was brisk -I don't care what you say, it's been cold here for the past week - week and a half- so I bundled up and headed out. I had a mission.

My wife gave me some nice biking related stuff for Christmas -a pair a Shimano MT31 shoes, a pair of MTB riding shorts and a sweet, shocking yellow, GoreTex biking windbreaker- and I wanted to give them a good try by riding to my bandmate's house and back, about 20 miles. This was to be my 2nd 20 mile ride. I found that it's different riding whenyou can't really feel your feet push against the pedals; I was pushing to hard and burning out a little until I learned to trust my speed and spin a little more. It works. The windbreaker,too, is great... it really does break the wind (no jokes!) and chill while breathing so you don't get all sweaty. And you can't miss me on the road, that's for sure.

I normally ride from my end of town (north) to the southern end every Saturday, a ride of about 12 - 15 miles depending on how much I meander. Usually, I do 15. I tried riding to my friend's house before but it's almost 2 miles all uphill (~2.5%) from the beach back to the valley where he lives. I just wasn't into it last time soI turned around and headed back. I wasn't into it this time either -I'd rather stay in the flats if I have a choice- but I kept playing the "just a little more" game and pushed on. Got my heart up to 165BPM in spots but mostly held a good, steady 140-145 (thanks to my trainer) and before I knew it, I was close enough where I knew I'd make it though the last 900 feet were a 3.5% grade... kicks up right at the end.
    Stopped, said hello, ate my Fig Newtons and headed back home. No pain, no nothing... I had more miles in the tank.

It was a glorious day. It gives me hope

N.B. The shoes are great, they really make a difference. Now, I'm actually thinking about cleats.
    I didn't stop for pie even though I knew I was doing twenty. I'm trying to shed punds -quite a few- and the pie just seems counter productive. Besides, all I can find in town is apple and I really don't like apple pie much. Maybe come the spring, if they start offering berry pie of some sort....
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! Great!! Glad to hear it! Where did she find the Gore Tex shell if I may ask, I'm in the market for a light top and pants too.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may certainly ask... hahahaha..

No, seriously, she found it at REI Coop. (http://rei.com). I forgot to mention it also has zip-off sleeves so it can double as a vest. Includes to zippable slash pockets and one on the back and is loosely snug (or snuggly loose, take your pick)

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
    You may certainly ask... hahahaha..

No, seriously, she found it at REI Coop. (http://rei.com). I forgot to mention it also has zip-off sleeves so it can double as a vest. Includes to zippable slash pockets and one on the back and is loosely snug (or snuggly loose, take your pick)
    Your jacket sounds similar to the one I bought from Performance a couple months ago. They're still having a sale on them.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1130
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cleats, yes that's the ticket. You'll be looking for hills once you get cleats on those new shoes.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

As always, hills are the friends of bicyclists. They are the best "trainer" ever made!
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. Congrats on the continued progress and keep pushing yourself like you did. Very well done. The rewards can be terrific. Also, continue to set "goals" for rides-if nothing more to ride to a certain point, town, landmark, etc that maybe you've never been to before. This will help you add distances that you may not think you could do-plus there is immediate self fulfillment and reward for accomplishing something. You're coming along very, very well. As we've offered before, don't be surprised with small setbacks from time to time but continue to relish in the accomplishments. For the future, keep in mind that progress is measured over the long haul and not just the results of one bad day!!! The folks here really help me with that when I get down on myself.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    Your jacket sounds similar to the one I bought from Performance a couple months ago. They're still having a sale on them.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1130
    Yes! That's the one.

And thanks all of you for the continued -and continuing- encouragement. Believe me, though, I haven't really gotten down. I might voice some frustration at times but I know that I've come along way and, above all, I enjoy every moment I'm in the saddle. I set my goals last year to make sure I didn't slough off. I'm not worried about that anymore and -thanks to my trainer- I won't have to deal with that little problem come the spring. But, man, to do 20 miles and finish with the "little" (as opposed to the "big") climb back home and still want more? Priceless.

And hills? Actually I already do look forward to them. Always have. They can be hard, they can be daunting, and sometimes I might have to stop now and again to break 'em up a little bit but that's where the real satisfaction comes, when you reach the top of whatever it is and to be able to say those three words: "I did it". Ahhhh... priceless.

Cleats. Yeah, I'm really, really considering it but that's another thread...

Meanwhile, I haven't been out since Saturday and I am frothing at the mouth right now. Gotta get out tonight.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trick for hills is to just treat them as a flat bit that goes up a bit. If the hill is steep- put yourself in granny at the start and find a comfortable gear on the back. tThen as the hill gets harder change down- harder still- change down again and then again till you run out of gears. Then no gears left and it is still hard- SLOW DOWN.

Many people make the mistake of putting in power when the hill comes up- and run out of steam halfway up. Once you have got fit and strong you can do this- but the main thing is to get the "I did it" feeling. Slow down- take it at your pace and before long you will find that you do not use all the gears on the hill. Then you can start sprinting for the last 400 yards of the hill.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great, SaiKaiTai, much more exciting than my only ride this week. It was Tuesday, 5 days after my hernia surgery, 31 degrees, with a brisk north wind. I did a whopping 7.3 miles on fairly flat streets in my neighborhood at an easy pace. It's starting to look like that will be the only day this week without freezing stuff on the ground, so other than that ride, my only excitement will be reading about rides like yours.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
    I normally ride from my end of town (north) to the southern end every Saturday, a ride of about 12 - 15 miles depending on how much I meander. Usually, I do 15. I tried riding to my friend's house before but it's almost 2 miles all uphill (~2.5%) from the beach back to the valley where he lives. I just wasn't into it last time soI turned around and headed back. I wasn't into it this time either -I'd rather stay in the flats if I have a choice- but I kept playing the "just a little more" game and pushed on. Got my heart up to 165BPM in spots but mostly held a good, steady 140-145 (thanks to my trainer) and before I knew it, I was close enough where I knew I'd make it though the last 900 feet were a 3.5% grade... kicks up right at the end.
    Way to go!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hills are my friends. Some sides of the hills are better friends than others.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.