Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garmin Edge 305 Drawbacks

Okay-I've only had the Garmin about 3 weeks and used it on 7 rides. The two biggest drawbacks I've run into are recharging and data.

Recharging is easy....however one time I forgot it was still at the house plugged into the receptacle and didn't have it for a ride!!!!!!!

As far as data, for 6 years I've recorded ride information into an excel spreadsheet I built. It allows me to compare ride information over time-I can do some really nice graphs and charts for data comparison.

I quickly learned that the Garmin stores previous ride information both in the Training Center or Motioned Based so I didn't have to record the ride information after each ride. I'm in the process of transfering and recording the info into my spreadsheet for 7 rides and that's NOT FUN.

I know, I know........why record the data to begin with........hey-I'm an engineer and figures keep my world spinning.

Otherwise the Garmin continues to be a really nice toy for me!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So remember to take it with me on my rides, and don't mess with extraneous data recording, so I won't be disappointed. Check.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    hey-I'm an engineer and figures keep my world spinning.

Otherwise the Garmin continues to be a really nice toy for me!!!
    +1

I like it because it A) works, and B) it's a cool gadget. Linda and I are going to ride leaders this year, and the mapping will be really cool for creating ride maps for the club rides (using Sporttracks). Also, I just started playing around with importing rides into Google Earth Pro. Once I figure it out, and get a couple of videos, I'll be happy to share them.

I still don't care for the Training Center software that comes with it

Later!

steve

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also get one of the battery extenders that people have talked about on the MB forum. I have one that uses AA batteries and the times I have turned the edge on with low bat I just grap the extender plug it in and do my ride and recharge after. I feel your pain on your historical data. I went back and hand entered a years worth of rides into Sportracks that I had done prior to getting the edge.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    You can also get one of the battery extenders that people have talked about on the MB forum. I have one that uses AA batteries and the times I have turned the edge on with low bat I just grap the extender plug it in and do my ride and recharge after. I feel your pain on your historical data. I went back and hand entered a years worth of rides into Sportracks that I had done prior to getting the edge.
    What battery extender do you have? I plan on doing some week long tours this summer and something like this might be nice to have available.

How long does the average charge last for the Garmin 305's. Most of my rides are less than 6 hours.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got this one, its a little big but I just velcro it to my top tube when I use it. I don't do to many real long rides so its just kind of a safety net. My garmin generally is good for about 6-8 hrs depending on how much I use the backlight.
    http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=108719

For a complete thread discussion see:
    http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/in...p?topic=1750.0
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stonecrd-that is some very useful information. Thanks for sharing and for plowing the ground for us!!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    I got this one, its a little big but I just velcro it to my top tube when I use it. I don't do to many real long rides so its just kind of a safety net. My garmin generally is good for about 6-8 hrs depending on how much I use the backlight.
    http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=108719

For a complete thread discussion see:
    http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/in...p?topic=1750.0

Thanks for the info....
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Garmins the edge 305,they are great and if someone would get me one i would put it on in a heart beat,that said ,for those who don't have one, you can use this.(http://www.mapmyrun.com/index.php?s=4&d=walkingguide&) and just do about the same thing that a Garmin will do, except cadence,You can get a Satellite view of your route,its cool and give's alot of imfo!