Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Helmets make no sense.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Helmets make no sense.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-07, 09:48 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Helmets make no sense.

OK. These pictures could be fake, but they're fun anyway.

'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 01-20-07, 10:58 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
They aren't fake. Moreover, there are all sorts of places like that around the world. I would think those pictures are from Scotland or some such but I've ridden on similar places in Colorado, Utah and even the Flume Trail in Lake Tahoe has some nasty places where you have to portage across loose rock slides.

In one place in Colorado I had my bike on my shoulder and was jumping from huge rock to huge rock across a landslide. The landslide hadn't completely stabilized and as you landed on these big rocks they would shift a little. It sure made you move across them smartly though.
Old 01-21-07, 06:55 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Helmets are the least of what makes no sense. Unless the life of a loved one was at risk, and the only way I could help save them was to navigate such a route would you find me on a path like that. But, then again, I don't walk on tight ropes, work as a steel worker on skyscrapers, etc. Hell, I get dizzy on the ladder cleaning out the rain gutters on my house. I guess helmets are to help keep the head in close to a recognizable state. This helps in indentification when they recover the bodies. BTW, great pictures.
Old 01-21-07, 07:05 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
It looks a bit foggy, and the rocks look a bit damp and slippery. No thanks!
Old 01-21-07, 08:09 AM
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Do you have any bigger resolution copies of those pics?

That second one would make a great desktop wallpaper!

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

Last edited by Hobartlemagne; 01-22-07 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-21-07, 09:47 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the story to go along with the pics. FWIW I would never ride that clif but i do wear a helmet. If you wonder about whether they will protect you in a fall on the street, just ask Saul Raisin. The site where the story is posted has no better resolution photos. The photographer's site is here https://www.freezefocus.com/ but is currently only showing a slide show as it is being "revamped."

"Our next stop was the Burren, a vast rocky landscape, with little vegetation and miles of cracked rock slaps, which were actually quite fun and challenging to ride. We rode parts of the Burren Way, an old historic route and popular hiking trail. Medieval castles and 5000 year old dolmen and stone circles marked the way, the weather wasn't great, but at least it didn't rain; yet. It was good to get out of the RV and spin our legs through this remote countryside. In the late afternoon we arrived at the Cliffs of Moher, which were for me the main reason why I wanted to come to Ireland. The 600 feet tall cliffs are entirely vertical and the edge is very abrupt. My dream was to ride along the small narrow ledge that was between 6 feet to 6 inches wide and looked like a long curvy balcony without a handrail.

Upon arrival at the Cliffs we had to postpone those plans rapidly. The weather was getting worse and herds of tourists were all over the place, plus the security guy wouldn't let anybody near the edge of the cliffs.

We changed our plans and did a pub crawl instead, hoping for better conditions and luck in the early morning, before anybody else would get there. It turned out to be my favorite pub experience of the trip. In the small seaside village of Liscannor we found 4 pubs next door to each other. Five Pints of Guinness later and after a great seafood dinner and some fresh oysters it was time to hit the second pub, after a quick drink to quench our thirst, we moved one door over to Egans Pub, where locals were playing Irish folk music and the old fireplace was keeping us warm. We were told earlier, that with a bit of luck, "T. O'Brien" pub would open at around 11pm, sure enough the doors were open and 3 characters, straight out of the 50ties, were sipping on some drinks. It was like being set back in time, this place has been around for a long time, but it must have been at least 50 years, since any of the interior, including the suit and tie of the bartender have changed.

Locals warned us of the upward drafts, that blow people off the cliffs - and sure enough the wind was picking up over night. We got an early start, and even the extra strong italian coffee I brewed couldn't clear our heads. Even though the conditions and weather were less than good, this was our one and only chance to ride the cliffs, so we did. It was a rad feeling to ride along the exposed edges and jump over some of the gaps. As time went on we started to feel more and more comfortable and daring. Shortly after we got done it started pouring rain, nonetheless we continued the trail on top of the cliffs, which was one of the more spectacular trails I have ridden. We followed it all the way to Hag's Head. From there we drove to RV to County Kerry in the South of Ireland."

Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 01-21-07 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-21-07, 09:56 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
You wouldn't find me even walking my bike on stuff like that.......
Old 01-21-07, 10:53 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne
Do you have any bigger resolution copies of those pics?

That second one would make a great desktop walpaper!
Here's the original article. https://www.hansrey.com/latestadventures.htm

There is a link to Victor Lucas. Ask him. They are his pictures.
victor@freezefocus.com
Old 01-21-07, 12:04 PM

Bikes: RANS Dynamik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
You wouldn't find me even walking my bike on stuff like that.......
You wouldn't find me even walking XX XXXX on stuff like that...

Fixed!
Old 01-21-07, 12:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now, tell me no one has ever fallen while riding there. I'm surprised there isn't a movement under way to protect would be riders from even going there.
Caruso
Old 01-21-07, 12:39 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can barely look at those pics!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-21-07, 01:01 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Are those parachutes on their backs? Do they make bikes with ejection seats?
Old 01-21-07, 02:41 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
Now, tell me no one has ever fallen while riding there. I'm surprised there isn't a movement under way to protect would be riders from even going there.
Caruso
It's Ireland where people mind their own business most of the time. Not like the USA at all where busybodies pass helmet and seatbelt laws and believe that they're superior to everyone else.
Old 01-21-07, 02:57 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Well, I didn't believe it at first. Then I noticed the link and saw that it was Hans Rey. I believe it. That guy can do amazing things on a bicycle.
I might want to try things like that if I found out I was on my way to a nursing home.
Old 01-21-07, 03:00 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's insanity. Speed on a road bike is enough thrill for this boy.

Steve
Old 01-21-07, 03:23 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder if they're riding clipless.
Old 01-21-07, 03:32 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robtown
I wonder if they're riding clipless.
I just hope they're wearing waterproof socks.
Old 01-21-07, 03:44 PM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bigger ba!!s than I got.
Old 01-21-07, 03:55 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Well, I didn't believe it at first. Then I noticed the link and saw that it was Hans Rey. I believe it. That guy can do amazing things on a bicycle.
I might want to try things like that if I found out I was on my way to a nursing home.
If its Hans Rey- they are true pics.+ the fact I believe I saw something similar to them in a UK mag a few years ago. I used to be a rock climber and with a 600ft drop below the trail- I think I would be very careful. But then if Hans Rey invited me along for a ride like this- I would still be in one of the pubs while he was riding. Still on my first pint to ensure that Drink did not encourage me to go with him------ Anywhere.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-21-07, 04:13 PM
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
That's insanity.
Steve
The Cliffs of Insanity, that is.

(The cliffs of Moher were used as the setting for the Cliffs of Insanity in "The Princess Bride")
Old 01-21-07, 04:45 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here some areas where I've ridden.

https://www.gatetrails.com/exhibits/f...il/flume33.jpg

This is part of the Flume Trail up at Lake Tahoe. I haven't ridden there in 7 or 8 years but I seem to recall sections a whole lot rougher than this with a sharp dropoff on the lakeside.

https://www.wohlen.com/mattias/Utah/m...adoriver__.jpg

This is the edge of part of the trail on the Slick Rock Trail. It really does fall abrubtly for a long ways. I have a minor case of acrophobia and it was really hard to look over the trail edge.

https://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/whiterim.htm

Mountain bike riders with good endurance and moderate skills that aren't afraid of heights can do this one.

Outside of Crested Butte, CO, we rode over a trail that went up to 11,500 feet and then dropped pretty abrubtly down the side of a mountain. The trail ran through this HUGE field of Skunk Cabbage which was some 7' high. The trail was almost completely hidden from view but you could see where it was since there were no stalks there, only leaves. So you rode down the "trail" without being able to see it OR YOUR BIKE! and turning 180 degree hairpins at the limit of how sharply your bike could turn at 5 mph for perhaps a mile. Your head stuck up above the plants when you stood on the pedals so you could see this sea of off-green leaves and navigate mostly by guessing. It was SOOOO COOOL!!!!

Taking stupid chances is stupid. But taking chances with risk analysis is really fun as long as you're the winner.

Last edited by cyclintom; 01-21-07 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-21-07, 08:36 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Potential Darwin Awardees
Old 01-21-07, 08:42 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any odds on those guys surviving life long enough to qualify for membership here at 50Plus?

**As someone who has hit the pavement and skidded a ways on his head, feeling the rubbing of plastic against road surface through his (thank Heaven) helmet.......I'll keep mine on. A very scary and seemingly long few seconds that was.
Old 01-22-07, 09:18 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
It's Ireland where people mind their own business most of the time. Not like the USA at all where busybodies pass helmet and seatbelt laws and believe that they're superior to everyone else.
Tom, estimates from serious sources are that seatbelts have saved somewhere north 150,000 lives in the U.S. since 1975. I for one support manadatory seatbelt usage and do not feel that a) I'm a busybody or b) that I'm superior to anyone else. And as an added bonus, if you wear your seatbelt in Wyoming and are caught going a bit too fast on our wide open roads, you even save $10 off your speeding ticket.
Old 01-22-07, 10:35 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Since 1975 there have been almost 1.3 million deaths due to careless driving. Police have used valuable time and energy blaming the victims of these crimes because it is easier than catching reckless drivers.

With the stupendously misplaced seatbelt laws the totalitarians have found their camel nose under the edge of the tent. Now we are seeing cities and soon states and perhaps even Federal law determining what you will eat or not eat.

How about Federal laws regulating the amount of exercise you must do each day since deaths due to preventable heart and circulatory disease is the foremost cause of death in the USA?

Exactly where do you propose stopping a government of do-gooders? What limits are you willing to put on them?

Are you aware that speeders involved in fatal accidents usually kill those whom they hit? Giving them $10 off of their tickets? Why don't you just applaud them? That has to be a new high in mentally disturbed legislation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.