Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Selle An-Atomica Saddles

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Selle An-Atomica Saddles

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-07, 12:36 PM
Old Fat Guy

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.2, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selle An-Atomica Saddles

Anyone have any experience with Selle An-Atomica saddles--- https://www.selleanatomica.com/index.html

I'm 63 and weigh 295. I have a Trek Pilot 5.2 on order. All I plan to to is exercise riding and some group rides. I have been looking at and reading the posts about the Brooks saddles and came across the Selle site and was wondering if anyone had any comments/opinions on them.
Old 01-28-07, 01:43 PM
wheezer geezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this isn't the answer you are looking for but.....

I don't have the Selle An-Atomica saddle but I do have the Selle Royal Contour saddle and find it to be very comfortable.
Old 01-28-07, 04:32 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One of the problems about Bikes is that you have a problem- you Hear or read about an item that will cure the problem, and at great expense you go and buy it. Then it is not for you. Not only limited to saddles- but what works for one person is not correct for another.

Only way I found a saddle type that was suitable for me was buying lots of saddles and finding one eventually that was right. I even at one point went to a Specialiist bike dealer that has the Magic saddle foam to determine what saddle I should get. Funny how it seemedto be the most expensive saddle in the shop but luckily they had one set up on a bike and I tried that one. It was not for me.

My Local Bike Shop has a low stool, and they put a saddle of my choice on it. I then sat on the saddle till I found one that was right for me. Still took a couple of saddles to get right but that one fits me perfectly. I can sit on it for about 5 hours begfore it starts hurting, so only causes me a problem on long rides. If I did more of those it might improve.

Sorry I cannot help you in your choice but being a bit on the heavy side- I take you want a wide saddle. Look at the women specific saddles and do not dismiss them. Couple of my friends have them and they swear by them instead of at them.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-28-07, 05:12 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even with Stapfam's sit-on-the-stool test, no saddle really shows itself until you've ridden several miles on it, gotten it more or less adjusted to as good as it's gonna be....and then listened to your behind. Generally, the more upright your riding position, the wider, more broadly supportive the saddle-- but your own unique anatomy is really crucial.

Rivendell ran a brief new-products-out-there mention of An Atomics some time ago. Essentially, aren't they just a treated Brooks with a choice of three slots cut out for firmness control and for crotch relief?

Like Stapfam and others here, I have a box of old saddles that were hightly touted at the time ("authentic bull's hide stretched over resilient plastic"), but never quite performed/conformed to my behind.

Blowing off money on saddle try-outs may well be part of doing business for a cyclist.

You might try Wallingford Bicycles....they're very knowledgable about (and biased towards) Brooks saddles. They also have a 6 month satisfaction guarantee !!
Old 01-29-07, 12:43 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Crosschain has come up with the most important point- A saddle- no matter how good it feels just sitting on it- will not prove itself untill a bit of time has been spent on it.
Also remember that if you are new to cycling two things have to be worn in. 1st of all the butt has to get attuned and secondly- Any new saddle has to get attuned to the butt. Until those two things occur- all you can feel is pain. When the pain lessens- you have a saddle that might be suitable.

Spike Milligan